Closed Thread
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:08 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperLance
I have in front of me a brand new 2000mAh 3C Lipo for this plane. Question is, using the stock motor, will I see longer flight time, more thrust, either or both? Also, I'm I going to fry the existing setup?
A 2000mAh battery rated to 3C has a max rated current of 6 amps.

IF 6amps of current was enough, you will see more power (from the voltage) and longer flight times (from the 2000mAh).

You will not fry the system.

However, from what I can tell 6A is not enough, so you WILL fry the battery, and that may cause a fire.

Rod, A 1300 rated to 20C would be *plenty*, but I suspect yours is only rated to 10C, and it's getting overloaded. This cooks and damages the battery, so stop.

LareeRudee, if Rod's battery can't hack the current, yours is nowhere close.

Can somebody that's flying on the stock motor/prop with a TP2100 measure the draw? Seems like a lot of people are being introduced to LiPo by this airplane and it'd be good to get them started off right...
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:15 PM
East sussex
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Hi, im getting the stang and wanted to know the amp draw of the stock mustang components. Also i want to get the 13c TP 2100mah battery and was wondering what flight times, performance etc i would get. Thanks alot.
MustangP51 is offline Find More Posts by MustangP51
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:21 PM
Somewhere below 10,000 feet.
Joined Jul 2005
79 Posts
rdeis - thanks for the detailed answer. I gave you some misinformation. By "3C" I actually ment it's a 3 cell battery, which I guess is refered to as 3S. It has a discharge rate of 15C stamped on the battery. It's a EPKokam battery. model is KOK2000-15C-3S-DNS.
PiperLance is offline Find More Posts by PiperLance
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:22 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Hey Guys

Whats the AUW of the P-51 with the stock battery? After adding retracts/aileron servos, and a brushless motor I'm pushing 850grams.

Also is the listed CG of 70mm from where the leading edge MEETS the fuse correct?

Thanks

Tommy
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:28 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
Can somebody that's flying on the stock motor/prop with a TP2100 measure the draw? Seems like a lot of people are being introduced to LiPo by this airplane and it'd be good to get them started off right...

I'll try to get some amp reading tonight after work and post them here.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:31 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperLance
rdeis - thanks for the detailed answer. I gave you some misinformation. By "3C" I actually ment it's a 3 cell battery, which I guess is refered to as 3S.
Ah! Well, that's a different matter altogether. When people talk about a 3 cell battery they usually mean "3 cells wired in series" which is abbreviated "3s"

Quote:
It has a discharge rate of 15C stamped on the battery.
Much better- a 15C discharge rate would be 30 amps, which I think is plenty. (*EDIT* I'm pretty sure it's under 20 amps, thanks for getting that measurement tonight, V.)

I didn't realize the misunderstanding because I've seen 2C and 4C 2000mAh batteries for *very* cheap on ebay...

You can expect longer runs and more power, but I can't say how much quite yet. For comparison, what's the stock battery?
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Sep 29, 2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 02:01 PM
East sussex
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Hi guys, will the kokam 11.1v 2100 mah fit in the battery compartment or does it have to be the TP? Which pack perfroms better. Also is the 13 c on the TP enough to cope with the motor?? I guess we'll find out when we see the amp draw from the stang. cheers guys, not to go off topic or anything but would you guys by the new p47dARF?
MustangP51 is offline Find More Posts by MustangP51
Old Sep 29, 2005, 02:33 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I don't know about the Kokam, but my Tanic 2220 mAh 3s Lipo would not fit in the battery compartment of the Parkzone P-51 Mustang.

It is the same general size and shape, but is a hair too wide...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Sep 29, 2005, 03:52 PM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Red,
The Tp fits nicely, actually there's just enough room for a 4s tp.

Tommy torino,
According to Horizon, stock weight is 29 oz. 850 grams is where Tuskeegee ended up at.
I used the 70 mm right up against the fuselage. Mine ended up just a hair tail heavy.
Little bit of clay in the cowl and was dead on. My tail heavy could have been the tail wheel and steering though.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Oct 02, 2005, 03:38 AM
Joined Jun 2005
12 Posts
Amp Draw of stock motor with 11.1V cell lippo

G'day all,

I just tested my stang which is 100% stock with a 11.1V lipo. It drew 11.59 Amps at full throttle, while stationary.

Regards
Pauly
Pauly_2 is offline Find More Posts by Pauly_2
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:06 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
photos of Tuskeegee???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY1
Red,...............
Sure hope you can show us your Tuskeegee.......... or at LEAST describe it, or tell me I missed it back a few posts??????????/

thx,
LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Oct 02, 2005, 09:44 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Final Flight Report on Final Approach

I have been flying "Frankie" for quite some time now.

I always flew him with the regular 9 cell stock battery. I actually have two of them. I have several lipo packs I could have put in him. The only mishap I had ever had in the last few months was to replace the spinner.

Well I went flying early this morning.

I had pretty drained the first battery. Took him downwind and turned and setup for approach. Because I no longer have the landing gear I had put on him at the start I land in the tall dry grass. I would go out and look for rattle snakes and pick him up.

Loaded in the second battery and tossed him into the air. Had a blast doing loops, rolls, inverts, and pretend strafing runs. I decided to bring him around for a final approach.

I took him downwind to prepare for my landing into the wind. I noticed the wind had now picked up and he had flow waaayyyy downwind. I was at least 2,000 feet away at about 200 feet up when I lost all control. I think I was out of range.

He spiraled down evidently under full power.

I started my long hike to go retrieve him.

At the crash site (more like a demolished site) I found the wing intact. The wing had actually popped out of the rear catch. the front screws were still in.

The prop had been sheered off. Dry grass was wrapped around the gear.

The whole front of the plane was shattered into small pieces.

It looks like to repair him I could use the elevator, and main wing.

I have no response from the servos so the RX/ESC could be fried.

Nor was there a response from the motor.

Right now I am not sure if I want to repair or move on. I still have about 12 other planes still in boxes waiting to be built. That is not to mention the other 20 or other in the hangar. But I hate to see this one thrown on the burn pile.

Ahh decisions decisions.

Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:50 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee
Sure hope you can show us your Tuskeegee.......... or at LEAST describe it, or tell me I missed it back a few posts??????????/

thx,
LarryR
Larry, this forum is now unused, got to big,go to part 2.
For info on "T" look up my posts # 793,799,810,811,812,878
Somewhere also in there is retracts set up photos. If you can't find them holler and I can e-mail them to you. I'm getting around now to install air retacts.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Oct 04, 2005, 09:02 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Mr. Moderator. Please close this thread

It looks like a new thread was started some time ago and no one requested to have this one closed let alone show the link to the new thread.

Here is the link to part two.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418686

Please close this thread.

Thank you
Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll
Closed Thread