SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jun 02, 2005, 11:55 AM
I love the smell of 100LL
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
So........... care to share what these warbirds may be? Are you taking polls?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

BTW I just got my latest issue of Fly RC and they had a nice article on the PZ P-51. They gave it Kudos as well!
monitor is offline Find More Posts by monitor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2005, 12:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
While I am not against a poll... The next releases are set far in advance.... (We also have multiple brands to coordinate so we don't 'squash' each other.)

Fly RC did a great job! There photography is VERY GOOD!

Have fun!
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2005, 12:29 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Please Help

A request to you lucky owners out there. Ggunners has a working FMS version of the PZ Stang but need input from those of you fortunate enough to have flown it. Here's a link to his request. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=31
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Jun 02, 2005, 04:29 PM
scooter
columbia, sc
Joined Feb 2005
136 Posts
just finished assembling my pz p-51. i removed the ferocious frankie sticker, added a wee bit of epoxy to the stab for insurance, and cussed the wing attachment screws for a good thirty minutes. my battery is almost charged and i have some clear packing tape for the battery hatch (just a little....don't want to close off the cooling slots). wouldn't ya know it? a thunderstorm is bearing down on me and first flight is scheduled for 1650 hrs! hopefully it will pass. i haven't been this nervous since my CL days back in the seventies!!
scottiejay350 is offline Find More Posts by scottiejay350
Old Jun 02, 2005, 04:56 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I so know that feeling lol. I was in the same boat. Wind was strong but was to die down by 8pm. By 8 the winds were below 3mph and perfect flying conditions. Got everything together but time was against me. Got out to the field and took my cub up to get the nerves out but by the time I brought the cub down it was to dark to fly. Not the best time for a maiden. Finally got to maiden the P-51 in less than ideal conditions. It was about 7-8mph gusting to about 12-13mph. Plane flew great though once I switched over to high rates.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 02, 2005, 05:17 PM
Bakersfield Meadow Fld, California, United States
Joined Mar 2004
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor
You know I was just reading up on some of the other threads on the P-51 and a thought occured to me.....

Some people keep saying over and over and over again that the Tx's that come with PZ products are junk and that you don't need them since you already have your fancy "UBER-Radio".

You know.... what would happen to these people who have ALL thier models hooked up to ONE transmitter and it just so happened to fail? It seems as if they would not be able to fly ANYTHING! (all while us guys with "junk" equipment are having a ball)

I am not trying to be rude.... I am just saying that the phrase "better to have it and not need it.... than to need it and not have it" comes to mind when people say that it is pointless to have the PZ radio system. Even glass cockpit airliners with hundreds of thousand of dollars in the most cutting edge of instrumentation STILL require a good old fashioned turn coordinator and artificial horizon. (about the size of a pinball) That is considered "junk"..... but it still WORKS when everything else goes black.

I'll happily keep the extra Tx for use someday when my child is old enough to get into the hobby and needs something to bang around on.....or when my Gee-Whiz Radio conks out on the perfect day.

My 2 cents....
Doesn't happen, I have 3 Transmitters, 3 different channels, and I spread my planes among them. That way I don't have to sit on my hands if someone else is on one of my frequencies at the field.

Scott
Greenfield Flyers
Ender is offline Find More Posts by Ender
Old Jun 02, 2005, 05:38 PM
scooter
columbia, sc
Joined Feb 2005
136 Posts
non-event

thunderstorm held off......winds were gusting to about 10 mph. i plugged the battery in, checked control functions again, and went for the gusto. 3/4 throttle, lots of up trim and a running handlaunch produced a mustang flying away from me and climbing like crazy. it did roll left a bit so i thumbed in some opposite aileron. settling down i realized that i needed to trim out the elevator. had to take my eyes off it for a second to find the trim and it wandered not a bit. got the elevator trim settled out at about 150' of altitude and proceeded with full power. oh boy! i'm gonna like this one! very neutral about the roll axis, stays put when you bank it. elevator seemed a little soft, but with that small stab i expected it. didn't switch to hi rates for this maiden, just feeling her out. very scale looking...scale speed, GREAT profile in a slow flyby at about 30' altitude. a few circuits and i went back to 100% on the throttle. still climbs with throttle but i'll be able to trim that out. rolls to the left beautifully, didn't attempt a right (opposite torque) roll. flew a sloppy loop, did another slow roll adding down elevator at inverted......beautiful! not quite axial, but beautiful nonetheless. pulled throttle back to probably 30% at altitude and played with slow speed handling. gusty as all get out up there, will try some more on a calm day. slowed way down without alot of wallowing that i have been hearing about. i set my ailerons with a slight bit of upward bias (washout) to help avoid tip stalling...i'll play with the settings more on a calm day. after about 6 minutes i decided to shoot an approach. throttle to 1/2 on downwind directly opposite of my position at 75' altitude, turned base at 1/2 throttle, reduced to 1/3 on base leg, turned on final into the wind and a gust picked the nose up. left the throttle at 1/3 and shot a high approach anyway (30' altitude). slowly throttled down and she settled into a decent sink rate....very manageable. i goosed the throttle to go around, repeated all the same steps except i reduced my altitude to around 50' on downwind. came in on final at less than 1/3 throttle.....dropped it some more, staying off the elevator. holding the wings level was easy, just let her settle down to about 6' or so, then pulled the throttle all the way back. in she came, flared her just a bit to keep the windmilling prop from digging into the grass and she slid in on the belly scoop and came to a rest. i ran out the rest of the pack holding the 'stand in my hand whilst i smoked a congratulatory cigarette! i can't wait for good weather.
scottiejay350 is offline Find More Posts by scottiejay350
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:05 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Wow nice story. My wife took pictures of my maiden attempt and we just got them developed. The plane looks even more amazing in the pictures. My flight went a lot like yours did. I was shaking like crazy from nerves though. It's an amazing plane to see in the air.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:34 PM
United States, CT, Meriden
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Not a good day.

Well took my stang out for it's second round of flights. It was not a good day..... First hand lanuch didn't go so well. Guess I wasn't quick enough with the stick. No problem though since the launch was into tall grass. No harm done. Picked up the plane and gave it the once over to make sure all was ok. Second hand launch went much better. Plane took off smoothly with a little up elevator and was up to altitude in no time. I was having a really good time doing quick flybys and high loops and the about 5 minutes into the flight, disaster struck . I watched as the canopy just popped off at about 50 feet up followed 2 seconds later by the prop spinner. I quickly throttled back and glided her in for a soft landing amidst the tall grass. When I examined the plane, it looked in good shape except it was missing the canopy and spinner and there was nothing holding the prop on to the shaft since the spinner had taken the nut that holds the prop on with it. I then spent the remaining 3 hours of daylight looking for the missing spinner and canopy. I managed to find part of the spinner. The part that snaps onto the front and the nut that holds the prop on was in it. I never did find the canopy or the spinner backplate. Now I'm so bummed. My poor stang is siting without a canopy and spinner. I really love the way this thing flies, but I'm starting to get annoyed at how parts just keep falling off this thing. I'm not sure where to reenforce next. Fortunately I haven't had the battey door fall off yet, but that's probably because I put duct tape over it.
Miklos is offline Find More Posts by Miklos
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:40 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,619 Posts
Wow! Bummer! I guess that's the drawback of flying over tall grass. I can't believe so many people are having problems hanging onto parts of this plane. I guess I must be next, but so far, so good.
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:47 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
Yeah that does not sound like fun. I have nto lost anything or had anything look like it might come loose. I might take some glue to the canopy though and double check the spinner. I try to get into the habit of doing that when I go out flying but like a child with his toys I often want to just jump into the action.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Hey Barnyard..... I'm just glad I haven't lost anything major like a broken wing or fuselage. I can put up with a busted spinner and canopy for the time it takes to order a new one. Ironically, after having the spinner crack on me the day before, I had gone on line and ordered a replacement spinner, cowling, and firewall and drive shaft. I figured if I nosed it in I'd have all the parts on hand to replace the whole front of the plane. Who woulda guess I'd lose the canopy?
Old Jun 02, 2005, 10:33 PM
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Vintauri..... I did glue the canopy just the night before. I tried epoxying it to the fuse, but whatever the fues is made out of, the epoxy just doesn't bond too well to. I also tried epoxying a crack I had in the spinner backplate where it attaches to the drive shaft and reenforced it with a piece of styrene plastic left over from a GWS Corsair cowl cut out and it looks like maybe that bond didn't do too well either. The one thing I can't figure out though is why the nut that holds the prop on was siting inside the spinner when I found it and not doing it's job holding the prop on tight to the drive shaft. I wonder if it didn't come loose during flight. I may have to consider locktite on that nut just to keep it from loosening. I know I tightened that nut down good the night before when I reattached the repaired spinner.
I'm sure that had I continued flying much longer after the spinner had come off that the prop would have come off in flight next since when I got to the plane, the prop was only held on by the friciton against the nut behind it. There would have been a nasty tip stall had the prop come off 50 feet up. In hind sight, I guess I saved the plane by bringing it in for a landing when the spinner popped off.
Old Jun 03, 2005, 03:18 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,618 Posts
A tip to you all

On all planes especially RTF it is i good idea to go over all parts prior to flight and reinforce then as you see fit. These models are very good but small failures in the factory with glue etc will result in loss of bits. 20 mins or so with a few different types of glue is time very well spent.

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jun 03, 2005, 09:01 AM
I love the smell of 100LL
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
I would make sure you all put a rubber band around the fuselage to double up the battery hatch if you are doing any aerobatics......

MY PARTS HAVE STILL NOT ARRIVED!!! (it has been 5 days now)

Usually I get them next day from Horizon....... I wonder if they are getting a flood of battery hatch orders?
monitor is offline Find More Posts by monitor
Closed Thread