HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:16 PM
I love the smell of 100LL
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
Congratulations!!

Way to go Miklos!!! See!?!?!? It isn't nearly as bad as some people seem to think. Just let it gain airspeed before you do anything and you are fine.

Glad to hear it went well. I checked my spinner after reading your post to see if it had any cracks after tubling through a tree after my battery ejection.... I was surprised to see there was no damage! The spinner cone still has a pretty good scuff on it from hitting something, but the plastic has not been cracked at the mounting point.

I am still waiting for my replacement battery hatch(s) and elevator to come in the mail. I could rig it up to fly as it is, but I hate not having things just right.

I agree this is one sweet plane. Here's hoping PZ comes out with more warbirds!
monitor is offline Find More Posts by monitor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:21 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor
I agree this is one sweet plane. Here's hoping PZ comes out with more warbirds!
I think David from PZ said they may do that. (back in the first thread)
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
You know I was just reading up on some of the other threads on the P-51 and a thought occured to me.....

Some people keep saying over and over and over again that the Tx's that come with PZ products are junk and that you don't need them since you already have your fancy "UBER-Radio".

You know.... what would happen to these people who have ALL thier models hooked up to ONE transmitter and it just so happened to fail? It seems as if they would not be able to fly ANYTHING! (all while us guys with "junk" equipment are having a ball)

I am not trying to be rude.... I am just saying that the phrase "better to have it and not need it.... than to need it and not have it" comes to mind when people say that it is pointless to have the PZ radio system. Even glass cockpit airliners with hundreds of thousand of dollars in the most cutting edge of instrumentation STILL require a good old fashioned turn coordinator and artificial horizon. (about the size of a pinball) That is considered "junk"..... but it still WORKS when everything else goes black.

I'll happily keep the extra Tx for use someday when my child is old enough to get into the hobby and needs something to bang around on.....or when my Gee-Whiz Radio conks out on the perfect day.

My 2 cents....
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:42 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,999 Posts
Gotta have one....They fly great, at least as much as can be seen in the videos.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Jun 02, 2005, 07:33 AM
Gistel, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
572 Posts
To all pull-prop flyers :

I am not a beginner but somehow I've never had a plane with the prop upfront and no landing gear ...(went from ABC-ABX-Stryker to gas planes with HUGE wheels so I passed the GWS -phase )

Let's say you make a textbook landing ...smooth and greased ...is there a possibility that your prop gets damaged anyway because of the airflow keeping it turning, even at deadstick ?

Special greetings to Wolfe, Kaz and bobcagen from rchobbyhub !
guy5927 is offline Find More Posts by guy5927
Old Jun 02, 2005, 07:42 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,373 Posts
There is a chance but if the power is off and the prop is just free spining from the airflow and you flare just at touch down it's very minimal as to the damage that can happen.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2005, 07:43 AM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
I always wondered this too.... but it seems when you have only two blades out there, the prop will just bounce out of the way as the plane skids in the grass. I think the only time you read about the prop breaking is if it hits something hard at any throttle setting or when the prop hits the ground at high throttle settings.....

I guess things get more complicated when you have 3 or 4 blades.
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:02 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
My first-flight report is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=29
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:33 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am glad you guys are having fun with the Mustang! If you study all the parts, you can see a LOT of care was taken to keep the parts as LIGHT as possible to deliver a plane with great power loading. We re-designed a LOT of parts to the the strength to weight ratio up. Keep in mind, the is a LOT of paint on this model out of the factory (the entire top of the wing and fuse and the nose for example).

I think a lot of the skeptics tried to compare this to a 370 class airplane... but the comparison does not work! It is a 480 class aircraft and a LOT bigger.
Brushed 370 planes I have flown just cannot cut the wind, or do a big loop out of level flight like this plane can.

We have tried a LOT of props (we tried competitive ones, and CNC milled a dozen or so of our own design). I think anything you find that will deliver better preformance (for a short time) will dramatically shorten run time, and abused the stock battery. The motor will get hot and dramatically shorten its life.

Anyway, enough ramblings. Have Fun, David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:36 AM
Parkzone Fan
London Canada
Joined Apr 2004
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy5927
To all pull-prop flyers :

I am not a beginner but somehow I've never had a plane with the prop upfront and no landing gear ...(went from ABC-ABX-Stryker to gas planes with HUGE wheels so I passed the GWS -phase )

Let's say you make a textbook landing ...smooth and greased ...is there a possibility that your prop gets damaged anyway because of the airflow keeping it turning, even at deadstick ?

Special greetings to Wolfe, Kaz and bobcagen from rchobbyhub !
Hey Guy...back at ya man

As for the question. You would think it would get damaged but I have been landing the Stryker on concrete and only had a scuff or 2. If the prop is balanced then it should be ok. Even if its not it seems that it just moved to the side on landing....hard or soft. I have had some pretty loooooong on the ground before it stops landings also from coming in too fast. A srap here and there but no big deal. This was the same thing I found with the ABC. In fact I had a few broken props on my Cub as the gear does not provide enough clearance to the ground. That is until I added the 2 inch foamie wheels
bobcagen is offline Find More Posts by bobcagen
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:45 AM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
Hey Dribbe,

Any thoughts on putting a 10 cell pack in the plane?
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:46 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Warbirds: Bring 'Em On

Hi, David, great job with the 'Stang.

Any chance we'll see some more warbirds in the Parkzone line? Or how about a B-25 that we could fly cover for?
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
OH yeah, and I love the plastic super structure in the wings/fuselage...... cool idea and keeps things nice and ridgid. Anything that can tumble through a tree and still be in this good of shape is OK in my book.

Still no word from PZ on hatch problem, and my ideas to fix it.
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:51 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor
Hey Dribbe,

Any thoughts on putting a 10 cell pack in the plane?
Have not tried it... I think it would push the stock motor and prop pretty hard (thermally)... I think you would get more power if it lived, but at the cost of extra weight and shorter run time.
The stock power system is so well matched, I think you are in the area of diminishing returns.
I think the LiPo option is about as good as you can do with a brushed can motor.
David
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:53 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nixon
Hi, David, great job with the 'Stang.

Any chance we'll see some more warbirds in the Parkzone line? Or how about a B-25 that we could fly cover for?
I expect you will see more warbirds at some point in the future....

(It is a LOT of work and tooling to make these things!)

David
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread