HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 01, 2005, 12:25 AM
San Jose,Ca
Joined May 2005
147 Posts
FMS Models

Here's a website with 2 P-51s very similar to the prkzne. The first one called e2s8.zip has no landing gear like the stock prkzone p-51. The second one e2s8u.zip has landing gear and more detail. You need to search the website for these two models. Mustang2.zip is not very similar to the prkzone.

Here's the link for FMS models.

http://www20.brinkster.com/jimflint80/fms/fms8.html
Ferocious Franki is offline Find More Posts by Ferocious Franki
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2005, 04:30 AM
United States, CT, Meriden
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Hey Monitor.... how to post your videos.

Hey Monitor..... you can get around the 100K limit by posting your video in the galleries section. Then all we have to do is click on your name and go to your gallery to see the full video. I have a 5 minute video of my Corsair flying in my gallery and to look at it all you have to do is click on my name and select gallery.

By the way.... thanks for the launch video. It really put my mind at ease. I was worried this thing was going to be a flying rock for the first few secods, but your videos make me feel a lot better about hand launching this thing.
Miklos is offline Find More Posts by Miklos
Old Jun 01, 2005, 08:30 AM
I love the smell of 100LL
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
Well glad to hear that Miklos.... I was nervous too about the first hand launch.... I edited that part out of the video when I was telling my wife that, "I am a littel nervous about this!!"

Now that I have done it several times, I personally think it is EASIER to hand launch the PZ P-51 than an Alfa P-47. The only problem I have still once in a while is that sometimes it is yawing through the air after it leaves my hand. With the small scale rudder, it tends to waver back and forth a bit, but as long as you keep the wings level it climbs out just fine.

I always toss it with FULL up trim..... let it climb, and then re-trim once it is up at altitude and speed.

I'll check into that gallery thing to post the full vids....
monitor is offline Find More Posts by monitor
Old Jun 01, 2005, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
OK I put a MUCH better quality vid in the user gallery. My wife had a bit of trouble at first keeping track of the plane so at times the video shakes a bit. Still you can get a good idea of its flying cababilities....

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...=42716&cat=500
Old Jun 01, 2005, 09:03 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
good video of the plane. Looks like the key is about 3/4 throttle and a firm throw at a slight up angle is the key to hand launching. Still trying to find the groove.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 01, 2005, 10:09 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,373 Posts
I finally got my video on the laptop and sized down for viewing. This was my 2nd flight and the only rough hand launch I have had. My wife shot the video while my 8 month old was strapped on to her so some of the video is a little shakey but hopefully you enjoy another glimpse at this plane flying.

http://www.vintauri.com/planes/videos/p51-small.wmv
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2005, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Full up you say??

Hey Monitor .... nice video. Really puts my mind at ease about hand launching this baby. When you say you had full up on the elevator at launch, what mode were you in the easy mode (A) or experienced mode (B) with the switch on the top of the transmitter when you launched and had full up. Makes a difference in the amount of full up you get.
Old Jun 01, 2005, 11:24 AM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
I always fly on the full "B" mode. I figure that way you have max control possible over the control surfaces. One just needs to remember to be GENTLE with the control inputs.

Ever wonder why most planes/ships are refered to as female? ha ha

*smack to the back of the head*

Sorry dear....
Last edited by monitor; Jun 01, 2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2005, 12:00 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Sweet Videos guys!! Vintuari, you put me into a Boot Camp flash back with that music
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Jun 01, 2005, 01:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
Yeah no kidding! I watched that movie here at work with the sound off..... did not get the "full effect"

You know what would be cool would be to get these flying in formation with a giant scale B-17. I know it would not be quite in scale, but perhaps even the Multiplex Toffee Bomber!
Old Jun 01, 2005, 02:54 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Lovely Positive thread

Seeing these vids (both of which were excellent) has made up my mind to get one even though I have over 25 planes already and two on order. I would love to know if any of you have tried the lipo option as I have loads of lipos of varying sizes etc

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jun 01, 2005, 03:18 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,373 Posts
I plan on using the Lipos once I get one large enough for this bird. Most of mine are in the 850-1000 mah range.

I'd love to find a decent B-17 parkflyer. I just don't have the room to do it to the scale I'd like. I might have to settle for a GWS DC-3.

My PZ P-51 made my weekend a fun one. I was a joy to fly. If the electronics start to go bad or even do... I'll fix her and put regular electronics in. For the price it has filled a nitche in my hangar.

Thanks for the comments on the video. I'll hopefully get some better flying and better footage in the future. Perhaps I can find a FW-190 to chase somewhere.
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2005, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
Hey you know cheapbatterypacks.com has some REALLY good pricing on custom 10 cell packs that have more mah's than the stock pack. I bet that extra cell and additional capacity may actually be more appealing than the LiPo option.

As I priced out the 10 cell NiMH packs, they were around $20!!! You can get almost 4 of these for the cost of one LiPo!!!! I may do this shortly and report on the results. One could buy a slew of these upgraded packs and fly all day for the cost of a few LiPo batteries.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 01, 2005, 04:55 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
I agree the NiMH are good value but once you have seriously used Lipo's you will never want to go back. The increased power the reduced weight and the flight times are incredible. I know they are expensive but try them and you will soon see that they are well worth it

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jun 01, 2005, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Finally Maidened her

Well, I finally maidened my P51 after reading all the posts about how squirrely this plane is on launch and after the experience I had with my Alfa Corsair (R.I.P) I was very worried about chucking this baby into the air.
Many thanks to Monitor and Ventauri for posting those excellent videos of their planes launches which gave me the courage to give it a try. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised . Upon launch, it did dip a little, but it had more than enough power to pull it self up and all I had to do was make slight corrections to keep her level and she was off to the races literally. This baby flies like a bat outa...... well you know what, even on the stock batteries.
Up till now, my only experience flying has been on my GWS Corsair with landing gear on which I taught myself, but this plane was everybit as easy to fly as the Corsair but faster. It will go where you point it. Loops and rolls with this thing a no problem, you just have to remember to stay one step ahead of it. One time I decided to flip the switch into the advanced B mode just to see how quick the response was to the controls, and I gotta tell you I kept it ther for all of 5 seconds before I switched it back to easy. It was just too responsive for me at least for being just the second flight that is.
I did have one minor mishap on the second landing which I beleive uncovered a design flaw in the way the spinner is attached to the drive shaft. The spinner back plate (for lack of a better name) has a hole in the center of it that slides over the drive shaft and is then held onto the drive shaft by a small washer and nut. The spinner then snaps onto this back plate. Well on the second landing, the bacplate was cracked right around where the the washer and nut attach it to the drive shaft. the plastic on the packplate is rather thin and if you catch the spinner on landing even the slightest, it will drive the back plate through the washer and crack it.
Other than that, I had absolutely no problems on my maiden.
Great flying plane PZ.....
Kudos on a winner.
Closed Thread