SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:38 AM
United States, CT, Meriden
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Dymond Lipos

Has anyone tried any of the Dymond Lipos in this bird in place of the Thunder Power 2100...... They're sooooo expensive compared to the ones on the Dymond site. I can get get a 2000mah pack for $35, but not sure they would fit the battery bay. Somone had mentioned they had tried the 1800mah pack, but they didn't give the model number
Miklos is offline Find More Posts by Miklos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:47 AM
I love the smell of 100LL
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
It is my understanding that the 2100's are too big to fit in the battery bay, while the 1800's (all of them) fit just fine.

I am tempted to try them as well, but I want to experiment with motors and the NiMH packs are a bit more forgiving if a setup is not just right.
monitor is offline Find More Posts by monitor
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:22 AM
Randall
Joined Jun 2005
11 Posts
pinion

Has anyone else had their motor pinion spin on their motor shaft??..also one of the two mustangs i bought one had the wing hold down mounts missed placed so i had to tape the wing on... other then that i have loved the plane.. remember to tape the battery hatch on or you will eject the battery under high g's..........Randy
glennarandy is offline Find More Posts by glennarandy
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
The plane seems to have plenty of power with the stock battery. Do Lipos really make that much difference? Yes I know about the longer flight times but besides that. I only have the one battery right now and need to get another but before I shell out anymore money I want to figure out which kind of battery to get, another NiMh for $30.00? invest in LiPo batteries?

Suggestions welcome

Suggestions welcome
mdelling is offline Find More Posts by mdelling
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
I would get your packs from cheapbatterypacks.com. They can put some higher capacity NiMH cells in there, and they are cheaper than the stock packs too!

I am soooo tempted to try a 10 cell pack from there.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
Does cheapbatteries.com sell the packs or do you have to buy the cells and put the packs together yourself? I couldn't find any packs like the stock battery on their site
mdelling is offline Find More Posts by mdelling
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
You can build one custom. I priced it out and a *10 CELL* version only costs slighty over 20 bucks!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:54 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos
Has anyone tried any of the Dymond Lipos in this bird in place of the Thunder Power 2100...... They're sooooo expensive compared to the ones on the Dymond site. I can get get a 2000mah pack for $35, but not sure they would fit the battery bay. Somone had mentioned they had tried the 1800mah pack, but they didn't give the model number
I mentioned the 1800 mah that I use in mine. It fits perfectly. Nice and snug. I have to be careful when pulling it out, takes a firm, gentle pull.
I don't know the model #, but it's 1800 mah 11.1 v. I think they only showed one when I ordered mine.

I just looked on the website, they show 2, but they have the same model number when ordering - 22765.
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by barnyardflyer; Jun 13, 2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:20 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,710 Posts
Just wanted to add in, I too am in the club....got two flights in today....love it...tossing it, is pretty tough...and thanks for the suggestions on the battery compartment...my battery dropped right when I check...definately saved my butt and made my flights successful. I really wanna find some info on the Li-po's...30-45 min flights would be excellent....but I dunno if I wanna spend 130 bucks(charger+battery) to find out....
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:04 AM
Sandpoint, Idaho
Joined Jun 2005
51 Posts
My new P51

Hello everyone... what a great thread! I picked up my P51 in a brand new hobby shop in our tiny mall. I didn't even know the store was there till I saw my plane hanging in the window. The shop has only been there for a month and bought from them to support the local guy for a change. Went back this past Saturday to buy one and he had sold the boxed one but sold me the "display" model.

Got it home, charged up the battery, waited for the rain storm to pass, and read the manual. Wow, they want a large flying area... hmmm... should I try it in my 400 x 100 ft field? I fly my other (much slower) planes there all the time? Well, you know how it goes... couldn't wait for a larger field.

My wife was willing to try a hand launch for me... and after nosing into the tall grass 3 times, I had it in the air. Wow! My first flight lasted about 3 min. My second about 5 min. Plenty of power and great control. Lost the battery hatch with each landing but found it right away.

My third flight lasted almost an hour... ok, well, that was how long between the time I threw it in the air and it came down out of the tree.... But hey, my wife was there to catch it for me as it fell out of the tree I was furiously shaking from the top of my extension ladder... Must admit, I was seconds away from breaking out the chain saw and collecting some new firewood to get my baby back, when the plane started to slide down thru the branches. Plop! Right into her outstretched hands. Best I can tell, no real damage.... had to search the ground for the spinner but the battery was still in place.

I have a 2100 TP LiPo but havn't tried it yet. Need the right connectors since I've converted all my plans and batteries to one standard connector. But the NiMh seems like plenty of power.

I've read just about every entry in this thread and didn't see anyone mention a brushless hop up.... If I'm lucky to wear out the motor before destroying the plane in some agressive landings, maybe that would make for a reasonable upgrade? Guess I might have to switchout all the electronics also... so that is something for another day.

Time to go down to my hanger and check out my plane after reading all about everyone else's problems and successes.

Thanks for the great thread!
The new guy in Sandpoint, Idaho
phoyt is offline Find More Posts by phoyt
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:26 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I tried to fly the plane in the same amount of space. You run outta room real fast. I got the plane down but it cost me a wing. That's the second plane that field has claimed (It's my best friend parents house... He lost his plane there as well), I don't think I'll try flying there again lol.

As I await the new wing I took the time to go over the plane in detail. I pulled apart the gearbox and made sure everything was lubed up. Even though I originally tightened the screws for the gearbox they were loose again. This was after about 8 flights on the plane. Might want to check the gearbox from time to time.

I also found something that bothered me a bit. The RX is tie wrapped to the same spar that the wing is screwed into. Well looking at my RX I noticed that there was a hole in the outside cardboard. I pulled the RX out and checked it over. No damage as far as I can tell but I am a little conserned that the RX had a screw in it during one of my flights. Needless to say it's no longer tie wrapped to the spar. I got out my velcro and attached it to the right side. As a bonus I even have more battery cable now to play with. Maybe this will help the left rotation the plane does.

Anyway check that RX postion and if you tighten the screws down good you might have the screws going into the RX.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 14, 2005, 01:00 AM
Sandpoint, Idaho
Joined Jun 2005
51 Posts
Screwing into the RX

Wow, I was JUST about to post a comment about this very thing. I was just going over things after my latest "tree affair" and decided I'd look at the RX. I also noticed holes in the back of the RX insulating panel. To prevent a problem, I cut some firm foam that I had laying around and put it between the RX and the cross brace and then used four tie-wraps to secure it. With the extra foam I needed to chain two tie-wraps to reach around the now fatter arrangement.

Overall, I guess the designers are trying to keep the weight down but It seems like there might be a better way to secure the wing. I've lost one screw already and now need to find a replacement. Need to be careful not to strip the female side of the connection. Wish there were some sore of cam arrangement.

I'll be sure to check out the motor mounting screws... can't have that sort of problem in combat!

Thanks!
phoyt is offline Find More Posts by phoyt
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:41 PM
Joined Jun 2005
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelling
The plane seems to have plenty of power with the stock battery. Do Lipos really make that much difference? Yes I know about the longer flight times but besides that. I only have the one battery right now and need to get another but before I shell out anymore money I want to figure out which kind of battery to get, another NiMh for $30.00? invest in LiPo batteries?

Suggestions welcome
What I've noticed is that the P-51 flies very nicely, just right IMO, with the included NiMh for the first 2 or 3 minutes then becomes noticably more and more sluggish as time goes by. With the LiPo, it seems to fly "just right" for a MUCH longer time before it starts to get sluggish. I've only flown with the LIPO for a couple of flights, but that's the biggest difference I've noticed so far. The LIPO is worth the extra money IMO.
BoyzToyz is offline Find More Posts by BoyzToyz
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
Well I finally got a chance to contact Horizon about my broken bearing holder on the gear box. No hassle at all they are shipping the part out to me right away. Total call time from dialing was 2 min 46 sec. Now that is service. Hopefully the part comes just as fast

I'm hoping to try the lipo as I've noticed the drop off even when I peak charge the batteries just before flying. I just need to wait to cough up the $60-$70 for the big lipo.
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2005, 01:12 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2005
18 Posts
I think I am going to be very good friends with the guys at my LHS...lol. My wonderful wife bought me an early father's day gift...the PZ Mustang. I took it out yesterday with her and we went to a nice big flat field near our house. This was my first electric, but I usually fly fuel-powered planes, so I am familiar with flying planes with elevator and ailerons. On the first toss at 3/4 throttle, a little elevator and no aileron, the plane pulled hard to the left and directly into the sun...it crashed shortly thereafter in some tall grass. I pulled it out and noticed that it had very little if any damage. I then adjusted my trim to full right and gave it another go. I still had to keep right aileron as I flew, and noticed that it seemed to be yawing, too. It nosed in shortly after that, and I will need to replace the front cowl and spinner, so now I am doing a better inspection of the rudder section to see if there's any warpage. Has anybody else had any problems like this?
db4962 is offline Find More Posts by db4962
Closed Thread