SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2005, 01:36 PM
KDX
Total Noob, but learning.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Joined May 2005
54 Posts
New Walkera #4 today

I recieved my new #4 today. What should I check before the first flight/crash? I thought I would try out the FMS software while the batteries are charging and I can't get it to work. I installed as per the instructions but am not able to calibrate the controls. I'm running XP Pro with all the latest patches and a wireless mouse/keyboard set up. Sould I take the motor out and run it for an hour or so with no load?
KDX is offline Find More Posts by KDX
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2005, 01:52 PM
Coventry
Joined May 2004
268 Posts
The very first thing that you have to do before flying is take the time to balance the blades and the paddles. You have to make sure that they balance with each other when put on a pivot point. If one blade/paddle is lighter than the other you can put some tape on it to get them right. It might take a while to get it right but well worth the time spent doing it. When you put the batteries on make sure that the heli is balanced too. So when you hold the heli from the flybar the body of the heli isn't tilting in any direction.

If you want to run the motor in you can, probably doesn't matter much. But the balance issues are more important
davidcollins001 is offline Find More Posts by davidcollins001
Old May 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
David ( in the U,K )
Joined May 2005
133 Posts
hi and welcom
iv got the walkera dragonfy#4 and the sim that came with it i run xp and had the same prob had to chang the seting to standerd rather than the helicopter seting on the tx set up part now its ok hope this helps you and have fun the sim isnt the same as the real thing but it givs you a good start and costs you nowt when you crash it have fun with it im still lerning to hover no way can i hover the sim helli but dose give you co ordination skills
helli crashed is offline Find More Posts by helli crashed
Old May 30, 2005, 03:21 PM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
For that transmitter to work you need PPjoy. Run that, then select Walkera in the little drop down menu (with the transmitter plugged in and turned on). After you've done that, you should see the transmitter in FMS. The sim didn't really help me, though, except maybe with orientation. It doesn't have enough inertia to simulate the real thing.

The best thing to check it that the blades are balanced, and that the blade screws are really tight. Then make sure the blades are straight before you start flying. This eliminates the "death wobble".
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old May 30, 2005, 09:40 PM
KDX
Saskatchewan, Canada
Joined May 2005
54 Posts
Well two battery packs and no missing parts. I was flying it (skidding it on the floor) of my garage. Right off the bat there was a bad servo. Lucky for me I pre-ordered some HS-55s and swapped them out. I didn't have a screw driver to change the arms on the servos so I just snipped the three extra plastic arms off of the one on the 'drivers' side (left hand side when viewed from the rear) and left the other one the way it was. They would be about the length of the middle hole on the stock servo arm so they should be OK for now. The one servo on the 'drivers' side still makes a bit of noise at rest. Not as bad as the stock servo though. Could there be something wrong with the ESC or 3 in 1 or whatever it is called? Is it normal for the helicopter to skid to the left and want to tip over to the left? I took the training kit off of it on the second battery and it seemed to be a bit easier to control. The right stick also seems backwards to me. Is this normal?
Old May 30, 2005, 10:20 PM
Chiba-Shi, Japan
Joined Apr 2005
375 Posts
The left drift is normal. You have to throttle up quickly to avoid this. BUT don't rush as it'll get expensive. Just continue skidding around the floor trying to keep it in a small area. I have changed my battery to 11v lipo and it's much easier to learn - longer run time and higher head speed. Take time balancing like the guys said above & make sure the fly bar is equal length. You can even put on fly bar weights to help stability.

Gord
gordthebiker is offline Find More Posts by gordthebiker
Old May 30, 2005, 10:23 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2004
531 Posts
yes its normal for them to drift left on takeoff. but once 2-3 feet off the ground it should be stable. anything below 2-3 feet then your in whats called ground effect makes the heli harder to control.
smoothb10 is offline Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old May 30, 2005, 10:42 PM
KDX
Saskatchewan, Canada
Joined May 2005
54 Posts
Thanks for the replys. How long do you charge the factory batteries with the wall charger?
Old May 31, 2005, 12:32 AM
KDX
Saskatchewan, Canada
Joined May 2005
54 Posts
I have to really use the trim adjustments to make the servos level. I assume the arms need to be taken off and centered. I found out tonight that Bacardi makes me a better pilot. I had a couple and decided to go out into the garage for another battery pack. I wasn't as paranoid about wrecking anything and actually had it hovering for a few seconds. Normally I'm really touchy about wrecking my stuff, so maybe loosening up is a bit of a good thing.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:07 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,648 Posts
What do you mean the right stick seems backward?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 31, 2005, 02:33 AM
KDX
Saskatchewan, Canada
Joined May 2005
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
What do you mean the right stick seems backward?
I changed the dip switch settings and all is fine now. The inputs were backwards on the right hand stick.
Old May 31, 2005, 03:15 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
An old truth in all flying is that the harder you try, the harder it gets. Most aircraft fly themselves better than you can fly them, which I rapidly learned getting my glider license :-). This doesn't mean that I advocate bacardi before every flight, however.

Pushing forward on the right stick should make the nose go down, guess someone at the factory might have bumped one of your dip switches while packing the tx. Like most other people have said, it's natural for the helicopter to drift off to one side on takeoff. Or whenever you change anything in flight, for that matter. The trick is to lean to compenste for it just before it happens :-).
Old Jun 01, 2005, 04:34 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
Oh, about the charging: I figured out that you're supposed to charge them 2 hours from empty to full, but since they're rarely completely empty I charge 1.5 hours, then monitor them to see when they get hot (not TOO hot). When that happens I know they're fully charged. This is with NiCads, don't use this trick with Lipos :-).