SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:16 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I looked back through this thread trying to find Flybike's last post that was related to Ultra Floyd, and it is dated Nov 7, 2005: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1444

In other words, three full months have gone by, including, presumably, Thanksgiving and Christmas vacations when Hans may have had the opportunity to get the project going again should he have wanted to do so. I think this project has lost its lustre for Hans...the essential engineering proved sound, the structure didn't collapse on the attempted maiden, everything worked except for a gearbox failure - so maybe there just isn't enough meat left on this particular tired old bone to interest Hans any more.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:41 PM
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I looked back through this thread trying to find Flybike's last post that was related to Ultra Floyd, and it is dated Nov 7, 2005: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1444

In other words, three full months have gone by, including, presumably, Thanksgiving and Christmas vacations when Hans may have had the opportunity to get the project going again should he have wanted to do so. I think this project has lost its lustre for Hans...the essential engineering proved sound, the structure didn't collapse on the attempted maiden, everything worked except for a gearbox failure - so maybe there just isn't enough meat left on this particular tired old bone to interest Hans any more.

-Flieslikeabeagle
I suggest we ask and maybe Hans will respond. He's a busy guy, and owes noone anything. Also, have you been to Wisconsin lately? Not a great place to fly in February, and as I mentioned, Hans is probably busy with school.

So, Hans, lots of interest here, anything going on?
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:27 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemetra
I suggest we ask and maybe Hans will respond.
I did. He didn't. See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1468

I agree that Flybike doesn't owe me anything, it is entirely up to him whether or not he wants to finish his big foamie project. Like many of you, though, I would love to see it fly, should he decide to revive it. My earlier comments were not intended as criticism of Flybike, merely as my interpretation of recent events (or rather, non-events).

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Feb 15, 2006, 05:04 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Big Floyd will fly. I've been spending more time with school and trying to find a summer job than thinking about the gear box.

Thanks for your patience.. It will fly eventually.

hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Feb 15, 2006, 05:14 PM
Jody Bradshaw
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,061 Posts
Nice to hear from you Hans. Hopefully this note from you will put everyone at ease.
JMBRAD is offline Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:51 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Hans, I too found college kept me very busy if I wanted to do well, so we appreciate your lack of free time. You're doing the right thing by focussing on your education first - you don't get as many "do-overs" in college as you do building foamies.

When the time comes and you get Big Floyd in the air, I'll be cheering you, along with all your other well-wishers here on RC Groups.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Feb 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
san diego,ca
Joined Jan 2006
242 Posts
subscribe
rclinks2002 is offline Find More Posts by rclinks2002
Old Apr 05, 2006, 05:11 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Apr 05, 2006, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,731 Posts
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Apr 05, 2006, 07:40 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Sorry guys, the 50 foot Big Floyd project is dead......a tanker truck of lacquer thinner spilled it's contents after it crashed into Hans's garage, and the whole project went down the drain.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 05, 2006, 07:56 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Napalm Floyd..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 05, 2006, 11:22 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
ha

Just wait, it'll fly. I'm still at school.

On a different subject- I'm looking for some sort of aerospace/UAV job for this summer. I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineering student. Just thought I'd throw it out there, anyone have any leads? I've submitted resumes to Aerovironment and a couple others, but no replies yet.

thanks,
Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Apr 05, 2006, 11:50 PM
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
ha

Just wait, it'll fly. I'm still at school.

On a different subject- I'm looking for some sort of aerospace/UAV job for this summer. I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineering student. Just thought I'd throw it out there, anyone have any leads? I've submitted resumes to Aerovironment and a couple others, but no replies yet.

thanks,
Hans
Hans, I met Paul MacReady once, (when they were working on the Pterosaur in 1985, I thought it was a real weak project, but they did well with it) he seemed real approachable and his crew at the time were students in it for the love of it. (Maybe they didn't get paid well, but hey...) You might try sending him info directly? Just a guess. Good luck!
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
Old Apr 06, 2006, 12:20 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
ha

I'm looking for some sort of aerospace/UAV job for this summer.
thanks,
Hans
you know, NASA comes to mind.

seriously Hans, you've got some real talant, once people know what your looking for, I don't think it's going to take much for you to land the job your looking for, you just need to get the word out that your looking, I'll bet there's a few outfits that would love to get you on their payroll.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Apr 06, 2006, 12:27 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Place an ad on the wing of the 50 foot Floyd
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly