SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2005, 03:33 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
O come on now, he didn't kill the thread by saying kewl.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2005, 03:35 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Koko - any updates on power plant? (seems to be the most appropriate name LOL )
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Sep 05, 2005, 03:35 PM
Who reversed my ailerons?
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
I though what he said was kewl.

lol I couldn't resist.
dgfisher2004 is offline Find More Posts by dgfisher2004
Old Sep 05, 2005, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2005
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
Koko - any updates on power plant? (seems to be the most appropriate name LOL )
Nope, no updates. Hans is going to send me the gearbox back, I would assume once he's settled at school. I will let everyone know once I have it back what the progress is.
koko76 is offline Find More Posts by koko76
Old Sep 05, 2005, 08:56 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakysticks
How does someone post when they're Permanently Banned?
By creating a shill account, which gets caught by a moderator and combined with the real one.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Sep 06, 2005, 07:32 AM
Custom User Title
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer J
WHOOOOOOOOO, THAT IS TOO KEWL FLY BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, I have never seen a model that big. Is that the biggest electric airplne in the world? you could stuff a little kid into that thing! HA! awsome. you must have a deep pocket lol. what was the total price?
i knew he wasent really banned, there are not permanant bans here, the moderators are too forgiving then again, forgiveness is good because of the blah bla blah , like i forgave that guy who headbutted me ( accidently), and made me bite my tongue in half today at school... i forgave him.. after i beat him up....

uhhh

but yer how much did the big floyd cost? AU?

ill guess

no i wont

mike
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
Old Sep 06, 2005, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer J
you could stuff a little kid into that thing!
Only if Hans were to put a set of bomb bay doors in it.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 07, 2005, 05:16 AM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Thanks, Basketcase!
And Jake...I forgive you your spelling and grammatical errors. If you DO post more of the Bible, Christianity, and the Golden Rule (somewhere else)...please use spellcheck and try to get the quotes a wee bit closer so that the message will at least be respected. I REALLY hope you don't think that the Bible actually says that you should do unto others as they do unto you...'course that'd explain a lot that I've seen done in the name of God lately! Dubb'ya?...you listening? (but I digress)
Hans, have the "men in black" come a-knocking yet? I hear that homeland security monitors forums to ferret out any suspicious activities. 50-foot RC planes and the mention of bomb bay doors could trigger an alert! I think I saw someone else post something to that effect also. It'd really suck to have your plane taken away before you get to make the bomb run....er...maiden flight!
(and I shouldn't post after I take the Benadryl!...please disregard!)
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:11 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
The bomb doors are to drop Spencer out of....

*visual: Wiley Coyote holding the little sign that says "yikes" before plummeting*
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:13 AM
Custom User Title
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
hmm, certain people on this forum i find just as annoying as spencer.

NOW back to the floyd, flybike, why dont you toss us another crumb and show us some more pics ?

mike
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
Old Sep 07, 2005, 01:59 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walker
I firmly believe that my feverish prayers during flying are the only thing that keeps me from crashing!
(above colour emphasis mine)
As long as everyone remembers that their beliefs are just that - beliefs - and no more, we're all going to get along just fine.

The moment anyone assumes their beliefs are more than just head-noises, that they are in fact reality, even worse, the only reality, that is the moment when those beliefs start to spread misery on this planet. If you further believe your calling is to force your beliefs on everyone who does not share them, you guarantee that you are now the cause and epicenter of an expanding vortex of spreading human misery.

Enough of that, back to the Big Pink. While Han's is busy getting settled in, I'd like to better understand the question of the very widely different estimates of the optimum pulley ratio for this powerplant and this prop. They have ranged from 9:1 to 4:1, IIRC.

I made some estimates earlier by knocking, say, 25% off the unloaded motor rpm to get the loaded rpm, estimating the motor power at that rpm, estimating the rpm the prop would turn at that much power, and then using that motor rpm and prop rpm to calculate the gearbox ratio. It would seem MotoCalc thinks the gear ratio should be deeper than my estimates, and I'd really like to understand why.

-Flieslikeabeagle

Edit: Just to make it clear, this post is in no way aimed at Jim Walker, rather the contrary. I quoted a portion of his post because he used the word "believe" in the context in which I refer to it. Jim seems quite clear on the difference between "belief" and "reality"!
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Sep 07, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 02:13 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Enough of that, back to the Big Pink. While Han's is busy getting settled in, I'd like to better understand the question of the very widely different estimates of the optimum pulley ratio for this powerplant and this prop. They have ranged from 9:1 to 4:1, IIRC.

I made some estimates earlier by knocking, say, 25% off the unloaded motor rpm to get the loaded rpm, estimating the motor power at that rpm, estimating the rpm the prop would turn at that much power, and then using that motor rpm and prop rpm to calculate the gearbox ratio. It would seem MotoCalc thinks the gear ratio should be deeper than my estimates, and I'd really like to understand why.

-Flieslikeabeagle
What gear ratios did you and MotoCalc come up with as being optimal?

Dan
Dan Baldwin is online now Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Sep 07, 2005, 03:16 PM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
The day before Hans flew Floyd (almost) I did some work on prop RPM and power requirements using an application called ThrustHP. As I remember he was needing 4500Watts for 1100RPM and 6,000-some for 1300RPM. At the 5:1 ratio, it seemed that his motors were within their envelope...as were the batteries. Just under 50 pounds of thrust to well over 60 pounds, in that RPM range. I did include an efficiency fudge of 75%
Regards,
Scott
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede
Old Sep 07, 2005, 04:42 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
(above colour emphasis mine)
As long as everyone remembers that their beliefs are just that - beliefs - and no more, we're all going to get along just fine.

. If you further believe your calling is to force your beliefs on everyone who does not share them, you guarantee that you are now the cause and epicenter of an expanding vortex of spreading human misery.

-Flieslikeabeagle

Amen!
Nice to see you here and there John

I Myself would like to see My "Belief" come true.. Which is that Big Floyd will fly VERY Soon

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Sep 07, 2005, 04:48 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
I say there is absolutely no need to rush things, BF will benefit from dense air on a cold fall or winter day.
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime