robbie is offline Find More Posts by robbie
Last edited by robbie; Aug 21, 2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: off subject
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:01 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
I figured you'd have a bunch of them. Now that I've thought about it a little I'm not going to spend time on the cargo bay. I have to pack up and head down to Madison as soon as thing thing gets in the air once or twice.
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Last edited by flybike; Aug 21, 2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:57 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,828 Posts
Yeah, stick it on the tail...
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:24 AM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
pictures

Finally I can say that all four panels of the wing are done. Well, except for the leading edges.. Tomorrow I'll glue some pieces on the front and sand it a little.

The entire fuselage is done except for a couple feet on the front end near the firewall. I also still need to build that little chunk of wing that is permanently attached to the top of the fuselage.

The landing gear is done except for the actual wheels and axles- I can do those on Monday.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day though- tail surfaces. Tomorrow night I have to be all done with the Elmers to give it time to dry by Monday afternoon. The good news is that the table for the wings is now empty, so I can build a bunch of tail stuff on there.

As soon as the motor & prop get here on Monday (noon hopefully) I can start soldering them and mounting the whole thing on the firewall. Then balance it, mount the batteries, and make the flying wires. I think we can take off at 7:00 monday night.

-Hans
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:25 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
You don't want 5000 ping-pong balls in there. They are made of nitrocellulose which is highly flammable/explosive.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:11 AM
fly-crash and resurect
Joined Jun 2004
478 Posts
you serious?
ping pong balls explosive??
wow, you really do learn somethinbg new every day
yorbenator is offline Find More Posts by yorbenator
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:14 AM
fly-crash and resurect
Joined Jun 2004
478 Posts
bit OT but,

do you have a picture of your mounting of the video quacker??
Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:34 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
You should make some slots to slide the batteries is instead of just throwing them in there(Pink Floyd).
You shouldn't feel rushed to get this done Hans. Make sure to do lots of stress tests on the tail surfaces. How do you plan on balancing it?

Kevin
aV8ter is offline Find More Posts by aV8ter
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:06 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroback
There are actually a bunch of cyclists/e-flyers here on the zone... like me. I look at my carbon framed heli's... then I look at my trek 5900... ahh.. I love unconventional thinking.

r
I used to be heavy into cycling before i got a wife/job/mortgage/kids.
My first club race ever i was 16years old. Got absolutely clobbered by our clubs hotshot. I only bring it up because his name was George Hincape, and he won one of the stages of the TDF this year. My ego feels much better lately....
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:54 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
i racefor about two years, but back then.. I wasn't focused enough. Hincapie eh? well, at leastg you got beat my the best. You guys should stick a ping pong ball over fired. watch how fast it burns up...

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:00 AM
fly-crash and resurect
Joined Jun 2004
478 Posts
i'll be sure to try that,
maybe a cool experiment for chemistry...
i got a realy cool teacher for chem, scottish guy
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:41 AM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
I'll balance it with the batteries. The Pink Floyd's batteries were actually secured pretty well. We taped them all together in a brick and then wrapped it in a towel and wedged it down in a slot in the fuse. However, if the plane had gone upside down they probably would have fallen out, so it wasn't the best solution. For this plane I'm going to have a piece of wood running between the two bottom stringers in the location of the batteries. I'll tape them together in a brick again, wrap them in something, then tie them to the piece of wood with rope or duct tape.

Pretty cool about hincapie, I was really happy when he won that stage.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:14 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,720 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the photo in post #748 shows the pilot doing a pre-flight inspection of the airframe.

If the mythbuster people still have those 30,000 ping pong balls, they might be willing to part with (at least loan out) a few thousand of them for a worthwhile cause.

Ping pong balls explosive?!?! It's a darn good thing that people don't hit those things as hard as they can with a piece of wood

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:34 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
Ping pong balls explosive?!?! It's a darn good thing that people don't hit those things as hard as they can with a piece of wood
Nitrocellulose was the first thermal plastic discovered. It was used like any other plastic in the early 1900's... problem is they didn't know until it was in wide use that it was shock unstable.

You may laugh... but yes, the old formula for ping pong balls was actually shock unstable. So, yes, if you hit the old ones hard enough and were unlucky, they would detonate. Apparently, some old billiard balls were the same. They then discovered if they added camphor to the mixture they could solve the shock stability problem.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction...

Google it on the web, if you want to know more.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Ok, this was really stupid. I put the camera up on a ladder on timer mode to take the following picture. Right after the picture the wind picked up and the camera blew off and hit the ground. It's kind of messed up. I took it apart and bent a couple pieces back into place, it works better now. I probably voided the warranty by pulling it apart.. Oh well. It seems to work now. Wasted 3 hrs on it though.. and the tail has still not begun.

That was dumb. I'll have the tail moving here in a bit though- we're going to fly tomorrow.

It's about 60 right now, and it might freeze tonight. Luckily the air is dry, or the elmers would never harden.

-Hans