HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2007, 03:47 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
'reduce cell count to spin a bigger prop'

That's what I tried with Pink Floyd and my Hacker C50. Yes, it worked, but you have to raise the amps by a lot. With heat generated being a function of amps squared, this really limits max motor power. So, it's either a reduction drive (like they use in the above link) or a super high torque (low kv) motor.
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2007, 03:51 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,448 Posts
I'm sure that you could get some sponsors for this. Who wouldn't want to be able to claim that their batteries and/or motor powered a 50ft rc plane?!?!?! As long as you gave them the rights to the video and pictures someone would go for it.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old May 02, 2007, 07:29 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
Your original power system seemed fine, just needed a bit of a mod which I believe was being done. The main issue at the moment is to find a Lipo supplier who has sufficient confidence in their product to sponser you.

Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old May 02, 2007, 07:40 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
You're probably right. I'll take a look at the gearbox when I get it (next week?) and see what needs to be done.

hans
Old May 02, 2007, 08:27 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,448 Posts
Just start sending out the photo from this post to all of the major lipo dealers; it sure would make one heck of an ad. I know that if I was flipping through a magazine the Big Floyd would catch my eye!
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old May 02, 2007, 10:06 PM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Hans,
That was a 60 X 36 prop as I recall.
As for the drive...the main need, in my "built a couple interesting things around the house" opinion, was a wider belt and pullies, prob'ly also a little more belt wrap on the one motor pulley. Motors, reduction ratio, prop RPM/thrust, and such seemed fine. The batteries seemed to deliver well also.
The maiden attempt was a "while ago" when it comes to battery pack development...did they even have balance plugs on them?
Regards,
Scott
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede
Old May 02, 2007, 11:06 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Yes, they have balance plugs on them. I didn't have a balancer for the first ~8 months I had them, but they also didn't get more than about 3 cycles in that time. Now I use an Astro balancer every time I charge them. (which still isn't very often)

hans
Old May 03, 2007, 07:57 AM
Rochester,MN
Joined Feb 2001
749 Posts
What happens to the pink foam over time? Will it become more brittle and prone to failure?
RonD is offline Find More Posts by RonD
Old May 03, 2007, 08:29 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD
What happens to the pink foam over time? Will it become more brittle and prone to failure?
The insulating properties remain so long as it remains out of direct/indirect UV light.
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old May 04, 2007, 10:40 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbackus
Every time this thread is bumped to the top of the list, another person is suckered into not only reading 100+ pages but also sentenced to months (or years) of waiting to see if big floyd will ever really fly. It's like a cult...
Gotta admit though, it makes for interesting reading. I don't think there is one person here on RCGroups that hasn't read a few pages or so.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old May 05, 2007, 03:11 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
Ahh.. I didn't realize that Tram = CommonSenseRC until now! I just sent some customers your way two weeks ago.

The batteries we initially tried were TP 5300 prolite 5s. We had 6 packs, two in series for each motor. I'm not sure if the cells inside the packs are 3p (1325 cells) or 4p (1760 cells).
I guess space is not an issue so, unless weight is one, maybe someone could donate 108 A123 cells for 3 12S3P packs. At least they don't die just by laying around waiting like Lipos do....

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old May 05, 2007, 12:03 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
I guess space is not an issue so, unless weight is one, maybe someone could donate 108 A123 cells for 3 12S3P packs. At least they don't die just by laying around waiting like Lipos do....

Fred
What?? Lipos dying? You meanto tell me they don`t last "Forever"

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jun 01, 2007, 12:33 PM
Harlow, UK
Joined Feb 2005
39 Posts
I don't know where you can get these motors in the US, but this might be suitable. It is one of the cheap chinese motors. Produces 6600Watts! Thats nearly 9 horse power!

The website : http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=542
alex_flyerboy is offline Find More Posts by alex_flyerboy
Old Jun 01, 2007, 12:43 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Cheap Chinese or not 6600Watts is amazing.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Jun 01, 2007, 01:16 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
Cheap Chinese or not 6600Watts is amazing.
Yep there are a couple of links in this thread now for massive, very inexpensive motors and I think they'd be far more suitable than the home built power train that was part of the original attempt.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2