HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2007, 03:01 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Big Floyd has never flown. It was on its maiden takeoff run when the drive belt failed. You can read Hans' description of the attempt here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1131

Hans has said several times that he wants to try again this summer. But please remember that Big Floyd may not be at the top of his priority list. Little things like getting his engiineering degree and finding a job are important, too!

Hans has successfully flown the 24-foot version, Pink Floyd, and the videos should be around somewhere.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:00 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has said this.. but I'll go ahead and say it'll never fly..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:02 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
I'm not sure if anyone has said this.. but I'll go ahead and say it'll never fly..
Is that for good luck?

As in the theater, "break a leg”?

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:05 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
No, it's just an observation..

I'd love to see it fly..
I'd also love to win the lottery..

Two things I doubt will ever happen.. It's just one of those things..

Hans has obviously lost interest..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:08 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
Last Activity: Today 07:47 PM

He's still around. Guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:24 AM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
I'd say give him until Late May early June. The man is in college right? He's probably doing engineering right? Well then I know what he's going through. I fly ocassionally but not as much as before obviously. However, whenever I can catch a break I'm downstairs. The other thing is final exams and all other work that teachers are behind on is scramming up right about now so the workload is ridiculous. Patience I guess Let's hope I'm right I can see Tram's point of view but I don't think after putting so much time and effort into something like this you would simply abandon it. Who knows though, I'm just assuming
scadavid2000 is offline Find More Posts by scadavid2000
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:55 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
It has been a while. His maiden attempt was in 05. What happened in 06? The thing was left requiring some additional repairs or something...I know I had a hell of a lot more free time in college than I have these days and I am more productive these days, it comes down to priorities. I'd like to see it fly, too, but the longer it sits on the shelf the less likely that becomes.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:26 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
True, people can lose interest in things... but that is a lot of expensive equipment to just have sitting around not doing anything. He's probably got several thousand dollars tied up in motors, batteries, ESC's servo's and thats not even taking into consideration the airframe.

I would love to take the project over but honestly, I just bought a house so I obviously don't have a few thousand dollars sitting around that I can spend on a possible money pit project.

Personally, I think a good sized gas engine would get her in the air in a few weeks... Sell the motors, batteries and ESC's and buy an engine??? What do you think???

--Jeremy
jrbackus is offline Find More Posts by jrbackus
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:49 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
I hope his batteries haven't lost a lot of their capacity over this long period of time

David ... longing to see the Big Floyd fly ....
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:04 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
With all of the batteries, motors and ESC's and gearbox, I am guessing that the power system is in the ballpark of 25lbs... There are powered paraglider engines that weigh maybe 30 or 40 lbs that will put out about 150 lbs of thrust. Big Floyd doesn't need nearly that much thrust so there has got to be an engine out there that would be perfect...

Anyone??
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:14 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbackus
With all of the batteries, motors and ESC's and gearbox, I am guessing that the power system is in the ballpark of 25lbs... There are powered paraglider engines that weigh maybe 30 or 40 lbs that will put out about 150 lbs of thrust. Big Floyd doesn't need nearly that much thrust so there has got to be an engine out there that would be perfect...

Anyone??
Yeah, gas would have worked from the start but I think they went with electric partly for the heck of it, not because it was the superior platform for this...
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:20 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Yeah, gas would have worked from the start but I think they went with electric partly for the heck of it, not because it was the superior platform for this...
I agree... At this point, I just want to see it in the air!!!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Hi All,
Let us not forget that Hans is in school some 250 miles from the small town where the plane is stored and that he had a summer job last year. Also, most of the "crew" at the initial maiden attempt were college-age buddies of his who have since been spread on the winds. It takes a fair alignment of the heavens to make an attempt with this plane...we'll just have to wait and see.
Regards,
Scott
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:12 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Where was the attempt?? I'm in the twin cities and wouldn't mind driving a few hours to help.

If people have their hearts set on electric, these guys are getting 150ish lbs of thrust about 30 minute flight times with these motors... Maybe they would be willing to help out a little...

http://www.electricppg.com/Developments/index.htm

--Jeremy
Last edited by jrbackus; Mar 28, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:55 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
I does seem that Hans has lost interest, or at least a passion for it. As I recall, the 24 footer was build in a Dorm room and hallway.

Someone should buy it from him and finish it off. Someone besides myself of course.

Phil
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress