to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:44 PM
Dumb Thumbs
Virginia
Joined May 2003
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
I think it would be fun to mount something like 50 komodo motors all along the leading edge. The only problem with this is that I need as much weight as I can get up in the very front. hmm Can you imagine the sound of 50 little 10 inch props?
You could glue 1000 horse flies to the LE. They already have free flight fly powered. You could do the first RC Biggest foam/fly powered plane.

RCDuggiedug
RCDuggiedug is offline Find More Posts by RCDuggiedug
Old May 18, 2006, 10:32 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
Quote:
I think it would be fun to mount something like 50 komodo motors all along the leading edge. The only problem with this is that I need as much weight as I can get up in the very front. hmm Can you imagine the sound of 50 little 10 inch props?

you could convert it to a tri motor just to get it to fly. mount a horizontal bar across the firewall that the outer two motors will mount to.

this way:

all of your weight will be up front where you need it
the prop area of the outer two motors will not be blocked by the fuse
wiring will not be significantly longer
probably the same overall weight
little additional cost.
ease of construction (probably framed up with pine)

once you get it to fly on land you need to put floats on it.......
REVKEV6 is offline Find More Posts by REVKEV6
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:45 PM
Joined Dec 2004
61 Posts
Flybike, how's Big Floyd coming?
glennhl is offline Find More Posts by glennhl
Old Jul 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
Maybe soon...
Quote:
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2003
10 Posts
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...red_plane.html
World's first battery-powered plane flies in Japan.

-I think they mean human carrying.
ercoupe is offline Find More Posts by ercoupe
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:32 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Looks like they got GWS to make them there Prop!

Regards
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
882 Posts
subscribe
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:06 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22
Looks like they got GWS to make them there Prop!
Hey Mal, good to run across one of your posts again! Its the weirdest thing, my wife and I both find ourselves missing Kamloops, even though we've only spent a few days there. We both wish we could be there again!

Back to the propeller, I remember reading about the attempts to make a human-powered airplane back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The propeller turned out to be crucial - there was barely enough power available from the pilot, and an inefficient propeller would not permit flight at all. The MIT aircraft, Chrysalis, used a propeller designed by an MIT professor, Eugene Larrabee, who came up with the concept of minimum induced loss propellers, and wrote ground-breaking research papers on the topic.

Later Paul Mcready and his team were trying to win the second Kremer prize with his aircraft the Gossamer Albatross, but were not even close to their goal until someone told McReady about Eugene Larrabee and his work on minimum induced loss propellers. A new propeller was designed based on Larrabee's principles, and the human-powered airplane not only flew, but took the Kremer prize.

The same thing happened again the Daedalus, which crossed the Aegean Sea in 1988.

This is why the propellers of all these planes - anything that has barely enough power to fly - tend to look alike. They are all based on Prof. Larrabee's work!

Most of us know that an elliptical wing planform (like the one on the Spitfire) has less drag than any other wing shape. I'm no aerodynamics expert, but my understanding is that Prof. Larrabee was the first to realize that this was no longer true for a propeller - because the tip of a propeller moves faster than the root, the elliptical shape is not the optimum shape. He then figured out what the correct planform for minimum drag on the propeller blades was...and voila, there was the "minimum induced drag" propeller!

Here's a short 'Web article on the man who, as much as anyone, made human powered flight possible:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2003/o...abee-0129.html

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Jul 28, 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:48 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Here's another thread on this same topic, with a few interesting comment by Mark Drela.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545012
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:42 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Hey Mal, good to run across one of your posts again! Its the weirdest thing, my wife and I both find ourselves missing Kamloops, even though we've only spent a few days there. We both wish we could be there again!

Back to the propeller, I remember reading about the attempts to make a human-powered airplane back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The propeller turned out to be crucial - there was barely enough power available from the pilot, and an inefficient propeller would not permit flight at all. The MIT aircraft, Chrysalis, used a propeller designed by an MIT professor, Eugene Larrabee, who came up with the concept of minimum induced loss propellers, and wrote ground-breaking research papers on the topic.

Later Paul Mcready and his team were trying to win the second Kremer prize with his aircraft the Gossamer Albatross, but were not even close to their goal until someone told McReady about Eugene Larrabee and his work on minimum induced loss propellers. A new propeller was designed based on Larrabee's principles, and the human-powered airplane not only flew, but took the Kremer prize.

The same thing happened again the Daedalus, which crossed the Aegean Sea in 1988.

This is why the propellers of all these planes - anything that has barely enough power to fly - tend to look alike. They are all based on Prof. Larrabee's work!

Most of us know that an elliptical wing planform (like the one on the Spitfire) has less drag than any other wing shape. I'm no aerodynamics expert, but my understanding is that Prof. Larrabee was the first to realize that this was no longer true for a propeller - because the tip of a propeller moves faster than the root, the elliptical shape is not the optimum shape. He then figured out what the correct planform for minimum drag on the propeller blades was...and voila, there was the "minimum induced drag" propeller!

Here's a short 'Web article on the man who, as much as anyone, made human powered flight possible:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2003/o...abee-0129.html

-Flieslikeabeagle
HA! Great to hear from you too!

I had a grewat time even though my health was not the best. We(Tom chris MR.Callingridge Mom dad and I Still talk about that supper and wonder how you and your wife are doing. I knew you were alive as i saw a post every once in awhile.

Happy to hear from you

Regards
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:50 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,807 Posts
Still lurking here to see how Pink Floyd is coming along...what a project!

Keep us all posted as to any news and good luck...

Mike
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
North Olmsted, Ohio
Joined May 2005
57 Posts
Any updates?
pilot89 is offline Find More Posts by pilot89
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:48 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2002
146 Posts
Need any help???

flybike,
If you need any help with the project/first flight, let me know!
I'm in Madison and REALLY want to see this thing fly. I work in TV and can pretty much guarantee lots of coverage, possibly national...

Dennis
dmoran is offline Find More Posts by dmoran
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:48 PM
I get high on flying!
Ohio
Joined Feb 2006
171 Posts
Hans, whats the latest?? Have you started back up at school yet? We want to see some progress with this monster!!

Steve
kc8qvo is offline Find More Posts by kc8qvo