HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2006, 12:33 PM
Mo' money mo' problems
Phoenixville, PA
Joined Apr 2006
69 Posts
Hans: as an alternative to an internship, you may check out what kind of research professors at your school are doing. The benefits of this are severalfold (excluding the whole poor-as-hell part): you'll most likely get to do much more hands-on research than the average summer internship, you'll get an excellent reference, and generally profs have GREAT connections. Oh, and you can come in to work whenever you want, instead of 8. I seriously regret not having done more research as an undergrad, so I'm trying to pass the info along.

And on an unrelated note, do you row for Wisconsin? I saw the shirts you were wearing in a couple of pics, and so I'm guessing from there... If so, good for you. Sounds like they have an excellent program. I rowed in college, and sucked, but I loved it all the same.
Moerdogg is offline Find More Posts by Moerdogg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,035 Posts
Keep up the good work..Hans.
If you build it they will come...

Pete
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:49 AM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Thanks for the replies about summer work. I also received a couple emails, thank you. Anyone else?

Moerdogg- I used to row for Wisconsin, it was a lot of fun. I still have a bunch of shirts left.

Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Apr 10, 2006, 04:13 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
coming from a now 2nd year aerospace engineer major... finding summer work sucks. I'm in a huge area for aero stuff ( so cal) and it's hard. they can simply get more experienced people ( seniors..grad students..) for the same pay as us. I'm taking summer school instead, and teaching sailing.

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Apr 10, 2006, 04:52 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroback
coming from a now 2nd year aerospace engineer major... finding summer work sucks. I'm in a huge area for aero stuff ( so cal) and it's hard. they can simply get more experienced people ( seniors..grad students..) for the same pay as us. I'm taking summer school instead, and teaching sailing.
I've just got my MSc but there's no aerospace design going on in Ireland and I don't particularly want to move to USA, France, UK or elsewhere.
I wouldn't work for a military outfit so my main options would be Airbus (France of UK), Boeing (Seattle) or an automotive company (perhaps an F1 team!).
I think I'll probably go back to my previous line of work in medical device manufacturing. I did know this would be the dilema when I started the MSc but I thought I'd give it a try and decide how to proceed when I finished.
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:50 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
so i didnt read through all the pages...did this 50footer actually get built? or is it in the process?
chase4556 is offline Find More Posts by chase4556
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:28 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Big Floyd was built and one attempt to fly where the "gearbox" seized on the attempt. Another tranny is in the works and the big pink Floyd will rise.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:42 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,476 Posts
Hey guys, I think Flybike should make up some of these and drop them off this Floyd
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56#post5330133
"Flying Sidewinder Missile
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Apr 29, 2006, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2 Posts
Tried to access http://www.pinkfoamplanes.com/ in the last two days without luck. Hope to see it back online soon.
On Hold is offline Find More Posts by On Hold
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:49 AM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Yeah, I dont know what the deal with that is, I'm going to try to get it back online.

Hans
Old Apr 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reills
Big Floyd was built and one attempt to fly where the "gearbox" seized on the attempt. Another tranny is in the works and the big pink Floyd will rise.
How about a Trimotor Floyd? Three smaller props, no gearbox...

Probably less efficient due to the reduced total propeller disc area, but it might at least get Don't-Fly Floyd off the ground and in the air.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
How about a Trimotor Floyd? Three smaller props, no gearbox...

Probably less efficient due to the reduced total propeller disc area, but it might at least get Don't-Fly Floyd off the ground and in the air.

-Flieslikeabeagle
It's only more prop disc because the gearbox prolly had a reduction gearbox at the same time as combining the three motor's power. But, with the same reduction ratio, the total prop disc of three motors pushing individual props as opposed to one prop is larger... far larger. Multi-motor planes have more power than planes with a single prop and the same total engine capacity... for reason of prop disc area.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:43 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
It's only more prop disc because the gearbox prolly had a reduction gearbox at the same time as combining the three motor's power.
Yes indeed! The original setup used a belt-drive and I think about 4:1 reduction ratio (I forget the exact number). Even so, the original propeller was absurdly small when compared to the wingspan of this 50' brute.

Thanks for the clarification about multiple propellers having more disc area if the reduction ratio is taken out of the equation. I had wondered about this for a second or two, but didn't take the time to think it through earlier.

I assume this area increase comes from the (diameter^4) term in the formula for power absorbed by a propeller. Going to a twin engine setup with half the power absorbed by each propeller at the same RPM results in only about a 16% reduction in prop diameter (reduces to 84% of original), and consequently about a 29% reduction in each prop disc area. With two props that means the new total disc area is about 41% bigger than the original single prop.

The numbers are even better with a trimotor setup: 1/3 the power to each prop would result in a 24% reduction in diameter of each one, or a 42% reduction in the disc area of each prop. With three props, the total disc area would then be 73% bigger than the original single prop.

Before Flybike came by those three giant AXI outrunners, I remember someone suggesting simply mounting a couple dozen Speed 600 motors all over Big Floyd. With appropriate gearing on each one, that might not have been an entirely bad idea!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:10 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
I think it would be fun to mount something like 50 komodo motors all along the leading edge. The only problem with this is that I need as much weight as I can get up in the very front. hmm Can you imagine the sound of 50 little 10 inch props?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:18 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
Can you imagine the sound of 50 little 10 inch props?
It would probably add to the effect if you ran around screaming "The killer bees are coming! The killer bees are coming!".

-Flieslikeabeagle