SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2005, 09:04 AM
fly fly fly
Stationed in Aviano, Italy
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
Lazy E-Bee, a starter or no?

I am about to (re)start into the hobby,

history: i have flown a Sky scooter (for about 30 sec... then it hit a foul pole... oops darn depth perception) threw it into a flat spin and it hit dirt, repaired it, tried to refly it, but the front firewall and junk was so damaged, i would have had to buy a new body, and thats about the time i joined the military, so off i went to Boot camp, so the hobby had to wait...

any way i am about to restart in the hobby and i just purchaced a Lazy E-Bee RTF, and as i read the threads i am seeing that no one else had this as a starter plane... should i purchace something else to start out... i have been thinking about the wing dragon RTF...
CanDyRaVeR is offline Find More Posts by CanDyRaVeR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2005, 10:24 AM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
If you have to get a RTF package then consider these planes:

T-hawk, Superstar Ep, Easy star
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Old May 27, 2005, 10:43 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
There's a review of the Lazy E-Bee here: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4680

Sounds like it's pretty easy to fly.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old May 27, 2005, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
For the crash-prone (like me!) you can do no better than to get the virtually indestructable T-IFO. It starts out as a slow flying R/E/T plane but you can modify it to a fully aerobatic Elevon plane.

Check it out!

www.wildrc.com

(P.S. I don't work for Dan Kreigh but I wish I did! )
MikeTwain is offline Find More Posts by MikeTwain
Old May 27, 2005, 11:22 AM
fly fly fly
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman
There's a review of the Lazy E-Bee here: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4680

Sounds like it's pretty easy to fly.

I actually read that, and thats what kinda made me buy it instead of some other RTF's out there... The way he explains it, i can't wait to get mine!
Old May 27, 2005, 11:50 AM
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
I keep thinking about buying one myself... too many planes already, but I like the looks of this one .
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:42 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Speaking of the Lazy E-bee, Hobby People has it at a stunning price right now on the weekly sale.....99.99 insteal of 180.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/specials/weeklysale01.asp
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:51 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
For a beginner, Its not how easy they fly, its how crash worthy are they. I'm a licensed pilot and crashed my skyscooter a lot. It was the coming back at ya thing, that got me. So I got a cheap simulator and practiced till my thumb was automatic on the stick. I took the ol' skyscooter out and flew it again and did ok, but it was underpowered for a windy area. So the nose was damaged anyways, I just cut it off, glued on a block of foam and shaped the nose again, then I put in a GWS 350-D and a lipo battary and the skyscooter flew 100 times better, Oh, I still crashed it, but it could be fixed real easy. If you snap the skyscooter wing in half, you could just glue it back together, BUT the lazy bee would be a Whole different story! Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:53 PM
fly fly fly
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
Yeah, i finnaly got mine in the air... must admit really REALLY unusual flight characteristcs if your used to "normal" airplanes
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:43 PM
California
Joined Nov 2005
54 Posts
I crashed mine a lot. And repaired it a lot. Had to get a new gear box, only $8. The secret was to not fly at 100% power. Launch it at 100% then cut it back to 80 to 90%. Then I cut it down to about 50% and it is so much fun to boat it around! Last Sunday I was circling a couple of hundred of feet overhead with a gaggle of seagulls. I thought maybe I could thermal it with engine off. As it turns out my son had spilt a bunch of crackers and they were just circling waiting for him to get out of the way. ha ha Anyways, I had five great flights that day and all good landings. I think maybe the plane is just so wieghed down with epoxy now that it handles more easily. I'm just glad it survived my learning curve. If I had to do it all over again, perhaps I'd do the same thing or perhaps a Slo-V package. It's similar to the slow stick.
hangglider is offline Find More Posts by hangglider
Old Dec 07, 2005, 06:56 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
You would be better off with an Easy Star:
http://www.plawner.net/3/1st_plane/
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Dec 09, 2005, 08:25 PM
fnpaulie1
Joined Dec 2005
575 Posts
My skills for the flight simulator were sharpened by actual flying. But I still learned alot from the sim. My best flight skill was attained by flying cheap crap that I made out of $5.00 foam gliders that I retro-fitted some electronics into and a motor. Usually I overpowered them with a 370 and a 3.76:1 gearbox.
That being said I learned alot from my 48" LazY Bee and the Superstar EP. Both are, for the most part, self righting. Still fly both of them after moving on to somewhat more aerobatic planes.
The $5.00 investment in a foam glider that I made EP was alot easier to handle when it ate the earth, and it is repairable with strapping tape and 5 minute epoxy.
If you want slow and stable, throw another wing on top (another 5.00 for another glider = $10.00 total plane cost) and attach it with bamboo skewers. I still fly those too because it never fails to amuse me when the other guys at the field look at these abominations I fly.
fnpaulie1 is offline Find More Posts by fnpaulie1
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:46 PM
Resistered Loser
United States, IL, Paris
Joined Jul 2005
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
For a beginner, Its not how easy they fly, its how crash worthy are they.
That is the most profound statement about RC I've ever heard! I looked at the specs, I've never heard of it but it seems fairly beginnner friendly. Heck, my buddy taught himself to fly on a Zagi! It just takes dedication and a willingness to fix planes.
bicmedic is offline Find More Posts by bicmedic
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:24 PM
California
Joined Nov 2005
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcat
You would be better off with an Easy Star:
http://www.plawner.net/3/1st_plane/
I've been tempted with an easystar also. The video from hobby lobby looks great. Looks like it might even be good for thermalling. Extend that battery pack. I'm tempted.
hangglider is offline Find More Posts by hangglider
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:01 PM
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
The easystar is very nice. It's one of the easiest flying planes I've tried, and it does thermal fairly well. Even without thermals, it's not unusual to fly for 20 minutes on an 8 cell 1050 Mah NIMH pack.