SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2002, 10:25 AM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
WD-40 ok on electric motors?

Can one use WD-40 as a lubricant and cleaner for electric motors?

All input appreciated

Hammer Head
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2002, 11:41 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I wouldn't use it. It supposedly gums up over time. If you mention that you use it on a gun in any firearm newsgroup or forum you'll be burned at the stake.

I have a lock with 10 plastic pushbuttons on an outdoor back gate. I didn't think it would last a year. I spray it yearly with WD-40 and it's been working for over 20 years.

I just apply a small drop of good oil at the bearings of motors. I tried some of the commercial motor cleaner and it evaporated so quickly that the motor was covered inside and out with water condensed from the air.
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Last edited by Red Baron 47; Apr 14, 2002 at 12:00 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:35 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Try using gear oil. I also have a quesation what about the oil used for lubing sewing machines?
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Apr 14, 2002, 01:06 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the responses!!

Happy Landings

HH
Old Apr 14, 2002, 01:16 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
WD-40 is a great cleaner, but a very poor lubricant. If you use it to clean, then oil any bushings/bearings you should be fine.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Apr 14, 2002, 03:07 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Thanks Mikey!
Old Apr 14, 2002, 10:49 PM
the correct 51%
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Apr 2002
89 Posts
wd-40

Do not use wd-40 in the motor, the motor will fail. Whe the oil hits the brush it will wreck it.
I race electric r/c cars, 15 years ago i put a wd-40 label on a can of lps, (too fool competitors, it worked) when they came to the starting line they had their can of wd-40 and sprayed it into the motor and woof their motor was a dog and smoked.
kinda of felt bad not 8^)

Ron
RocketRonbo is offline Find More Posts by RocketRonbo
Old Apr 15, 2002, 12:47 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
while on the subject of motors. I read somewhere that you should break in a motor in water... it gives the impression of submerging the motor in a cut of water....

Now I'm not electrical engineer, but something about shorting out positive and negative currents in water doesn't sound wise.

Whats the story behind this and how is it done? does the motor fill with water?
rojoyinc is offline Find More Posts by rojoyinc
Old Apr 15, 2002, 01:20 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Yes, there's water, water everywhere!!

It works because you only use 2 cells for break-in; at 3V, clean water doesn't carry enough current to short the motor.

Blow out the water with compressed air, hit the motor with a hair dryer on LOW for 5 minutes, lightly oil everything as stated above.

If it really worries you, spend a buck for a jug of distilled water. At 3V, it's an insulator...
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Apr 15, 2002, 01:53 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
The reason you can use water is not only lowish voltage, but the fact that water does not naturally conduct electricity. Pure water is an excellent insulator, it only becomes conductive when impurities are added. In addition to that remember that electricity always takes the path of least resistance, when you have a motor underwater the path through the motor is easier to transverse than the path through the water. Thus you can run motors underwater with no problem... however I wouldn't try it on somthing like a 32 cell's and an F5B motor or anything :-)
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Apr 20, 2002, 09:22 AM
West Dundee, IL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
845 Posts
Even at a short distance tap water is a few thousand Ohms of resistance (if you have a well, a little less) and that will be in parallel with the motor which will be orders of magnitude less.

Now, what the water does to your skin resistance is another story.
tekochip is offline Find More Posts by tekochip
Old Apr 20, 2002, 10:06 AM
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
286 Posts
WD-40 works great at getting water out of tight places....WD stands for water displacement. It doesn't work that well as a lubricant.

Harry....
Harry Mueller is offline Find More Posts by Harry Mueller
Old Apr 20, 2002, 10:27 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
ok, already, so we know about water and electricty, but what Good does water do inside any motor , and some of these Are sealed up right good, like , how you gonna git the stuff out if there aint no holes..........??? .......kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Apr 20, 2002, 10:51 AM
Just Mothphing around :~)
Singapore
Joined Dec 2001
57 Posts
Motor break-in in water

Quote:
while on the subject of motors. I read somewhere that you should break in a motor in water... it gives the impression of submerging the motor in a cut of water....

Now I'm not electrical engineer, but something about shorting out positive and negative currents in water doesn't sound wise.

Whats the story behind this and how is it done? does the motor fill with water?

The purpose of water is to remove the carbon dust as the motor is broken in & the carbon is suspended in the water & after an hour, the water turns carbon dark grey in colour.

DO NOT break in an IPS motor in water, it is sealed with no air vent holes for water to escape. For the IPS you may perform dry break-in. For other brush motors that have vents, they may be broken-in in water.
Willy is offline Find More Posts by Willy
Old Apr 20, 2002, 11:52 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Water breaking, wd-40 bath to remove water and prevent oxidation or sedimentation during drying, then oiling with a light machine oil on any bushings etc. Optionally you may want to use some kind of lubricating contact cleaner on the com (caig labs has some good ones). Dry bushings can be a premature source of failure when the motors are pushed, and yes you don't want to just spray with wd -40 and go! It will dry out all the lubrication and can gum up the motor if it is run while the wd is wet. (heat seems to be bad)
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies