HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2005, 11:08 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
OV-10 Bronco build

Well it is time for something different, and I have not done a build thread in a while so here it goes......

Be patient with me, this one will take me a while (my schedule has just been crazy!).

Keith Sparks will be doing this in a magazine writeup - so look for this beauty when his article is out. I will let him add the details on that.....

Here are a couple of Pics of his completed prototype to get you excited!

EDIT - to save time here are the post numbers for the build......

1 #5 wing build
2 #18 boom build
#19 fin build
#22 fuselage build
#28 tech information
#31 Stabilizer build
3 # 33 part ordering information
#36 framed up and ready to cover.
# 42 cockpit details
4 # 56 Doug's model finished
5 # 61 Doug's test flight
#67 Mikes cockpit not painted
6 #77 flight video
7 #94 weight discussion
9 # 122 Doug's flight video.
10 #180 Mikes flight report

EDIT

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Oct 05, 2005 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added build thread notes.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2005, 11:13 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Here you can see the great detail on the large plans. This plane is pretty big with a 48" wing and three pods. It will keep me busy!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2005, 11:19 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Time to get the parts out. Here you can see from the prototype that I have that Keith will be working to get a short laser kit out. It will have the ribs, fuse sides, formers, built up rudder parts, LG mounts. So if you don't like total scratch building this is a welcome help!

Parts count for such a large plane is pretty small.....it should be a pretty easy build.

Vaccuforming is impeccable. Lots of great detail here, including the huge canopy and pilot figures. Look at how big that canopy is - that is a Dystraction it is sitting on. It is actually bigger!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2005, 11:24 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Well enough familiarization with the parts. Now lets get on to the build. I like doing wings first, so lets begin with that....

It is a super easy build, as you use 48" stock and built it all in one piece. You may have to make some scarf joints on the 36" stock. No biggie....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2005, 11:33 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
More wing construction. I prefer spar webs in-between the spars rather than shear webbing or cross bracing on the face of the spars. You must assure that webbing fits nice and tight both between the spars and up against the ribs. This assures that the load is taken by this "I-beam" type spar you have built. It is very strong and it does not use much material, so it is light as well. The center joint got spar webbing and an extra shear web.

In order to get a perfect fit this takes some time. Make sure the grain is perpendicular to the spars, not horizontal to them. That adds needed strength. Sailplane guys (like me!) know this trick all too well. I took many hours doing this, but the result is a stong light wing. I extened the spar webs to two bays short of the full span.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; May 26, 2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:35 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Adding the top sheeting and LE material. I used a pre-shapped LE so that I would have less shaping to do. The sheeting is 48" stock so I don't have any joints. Very strong.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2005, 11:38 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Here you can see the TE sheeting is added. I like to use yellow wood glue here, so the mags add the weight to keep the wing flat and true...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
This will be a great build, and the finished product is great. I am already deciding on the California Forestry scheme. I like the white and red. Very visible and something different.

Comment away.....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2005, 10:34 PM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
coolio... im in the middle of doing a K&A Models OV-10 Bronco... slowly getting there.
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
Old May 27, 2005, 01:42 AM
Joined Apr 2005
47 Posts
Lookin' good..

I'm looking for an OV-10

I'll be tagging along, if you don't mind.

RD
Rubr_Duky is offline Find More Posts by Rubr_Duky
Old May 27, 2005, 07:39 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,163 Posts
Love that scheme! Thats what I used on my 52" hobbyhangar bronco I built a few years ago. Was quite a long build, took me 3 and a half weeks (yes, thats an eternity for me), but I did spend a lot of time replacing wood, weighing wood, re-engineering things, and I added retracts. All the markings were hand cut from ultracote also. I think you'll really like the bronco airframe. I've flown several sizes of them and they all fly really well with absolutely no bad habits.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old May 27, 2005, 08:41 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Thanks guys! It should be a fun project.

Gary - glad you like the scheme. Have any pics of yours?

You are right about no bad habits....Keiths flew like a trainer.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2005, 10:02 AM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2003
80 Posts
Does the desert camo prototype have retracts? If so what are they? They add a ton to the scale look, a must have I would say.

More pictures please!
hebertjo
hebertjo is offline Find More Posts by hebertjo
Old May 27, 2005, 10:04 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Thanks for doing the build thread Mike!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old May 27, 2005, 10:08 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Does the desert camo prototype have retracts? If so what are they?
No that is Keith's airplane, his 3rd prototype. He did full scale on it and gear. It does not have retracts, but it looks amazing. Very detailed. You will have to watch for the magazine when it comes out, it will have more pictures. I'm sure someone will snap some more of it at Small Steps this next weekend.

JRB - no problem. It is a fun way to document progress. I need to get it finished!

Mike
RCG Plus Member