HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2005, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
119 Posts
Cobra maneuver?

Many fantastic design/build/fly performance here. Has any one attempted/suceeded with cobra maneuver? with a ducted fan "jet" model, I mean.

It should be somewhat challenging to fly, but would be spectacular to watch.

Xdim
Xdim is offline Find More Posts by Xdim
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2005, 12:24 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
My midi F-18 would do it. 1/2 throttle, mid speed, pull full up, the nose would go past vertical. Holding the plane stead coming back was a chore though, the fan wanted to torque the airplane over in a roll to the left. The leading edge droops I added helped prevent tip stalling, but eventuall it would roll one way. Maybe my droops weren't an exact match and one stalled before the other. I don't recall if I tried it without the droops or not.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old May 26, 2005, 01:38 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Here's a video of a couple of early attempts with my Flanker. I've gotten more consistant, though I haven't been able to get it to go past vertical. The CG may need to be more aft still.

Su-27, 2 Cobras

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old May 26, 2005, 02:41 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
I heard from a su 27 pilot that to do a cobra you have to decrese the throtle when pulling up then increse as its puting its nose down and most likely req. thrust vector.
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old May 26, 2005, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2005
119 Posts
That was impressive Daren! especially the second attempt. I was thinking the plane might want to roll due to fan torque. Maybe it didn't get enough time at low speed, or did you have counter rotation fans?

Xdim
Xdim is offline Find More Posts by Xdim
Old May 26, 2005, 10:16 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Thanks. Actually, the right side produces slightly more power than the other. Sometimes the torquing is more apparent than others.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren