HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2001, 01:30 AM
Son of Jet Jockey
Redmond, WA (60 Acres Park Flyer)
Joined Apr 2000
79 Posts
Tail feathers help for my Pico J-3 Cub Fuse?

That horizontal stab in my J-3 Sub Fuse seems super weak! Can I strengthen it somehow? Should I use a dowel or carbon rod/tube attached to the moving surface at the hinge line?

I can't use the bamboo sticks. We had shish-kebabs last night and the teriyaki soaked in a little too deeply and now they're all sticky.. ;P

--Wondering in Washington
Will Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Will Chapman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2001, 04:04 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
what do you mean weak. remember this plane will fly at about 15 miles an hour, if you blow on it does the surface deform ? did you split and then tape the entire length of the elevator ? more details please
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg
Old Jun 06, 2001, 09:06 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
PFG,

One of the weakest points on my PICO-J3-cub is the elevator. It got "mushy" in the 1/2" (offset to accomidate the rudder) section in the middle of the elevator. It was so bad that I had to brace it with a small piece of stronger foam in the middle of the rudder.
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 06, 2001, 11:51 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I modified my elevator before I ever assembled the plane. I cut a recess between the two elevator halves, and glued in a short length of 3/32" hardwood dowel, and anchored the whole mess flat on my workbench overnight. The joint is rock solid, and there is no flexing when I need elevator input.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jun 06, 2001, 02:35 PM
Son of Jet Jockey
Redmond, WA (60 Acres Park Flyer)
Joined Apr 2000
79 Posts
I bought some small dia carbon tubing today. Not only will it strengthen the tail, it will also replace the ugly bamboo dihedral brace sticks.

However, it is not inexpensive. At my LKS (Local Kite Shop) It runs $2.40 for a 3-ft length.
Will Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Will Chapman