HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2005, 02:11 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Got my Hyperion EOS 7i charger today. Like it a lot!

I got my Hyperion EOS 7i charger today. So far I'm liking it a lot. There's not a lot of info here about this charger so here are my impressions.

A quick look through the (short) manual and I was ready to set it up for my battery packs. Setup was easy and quick, and it has ten programmable memory choices for my different packs and two non-programmable chioces, automatic Ni-Cd and automatic Ni-Mh. I can set set charging current in 100mA increments and can choose between Li-Io, Li-Po, Ni-Mh, Ni-CD and lead batteries of different cellcounts. The delta voltage is also selectable for Ni-xx batteries. The charger included a temperature probe which seems to work like it should. I didn't know about this so for me this was a bonus.

This is my first charger that will display stats and record info about the charge and I can't believe I managed without this feature before. My previous li-po charger was an Apache Smart-Charger 2500 which has worked exactly like it should but falls short now that I'm about to go up a few notches in aircraft size. I ordered two PolyQuest 4000 mAh 4S packs for a new plane and am charging one of them now.

The fan on the charger seems to be temperature-controlled and makes a relatively loud blowing noise (not a whine) while charging, at least at 4A 4S, but that's not a problem for me.

After the charge has finished there is a lot of data available about the charging process like temperatures, voltages, time and mAh put into the pack.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2005, 02:37 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
Do you have any chargers to campare this to?

Kevin
aV8ter is offline Find More Posts by aV8ter
Old May 27, 2005, 04:50 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I don't have any other computer chargers. Previously I used an Apache 2500 for Li-po and a Hitec CG-335 for ni-xx.

I charged an Apogee 3S2P 1660 mAh pack yesterday which I had drained to 9V under load. It put 1610 mAh into them and it took 87 minutes with a 1.6 A charge current.
Old May 27, 2005, 05:59 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Everything I have that Hyperion makes is top notch. Not tons of stuff but different bits and pieces, and the EMeter. It's no suprise to me that the charger is nice also , but good to hear.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Jun 01, 2005, 06:36 AM
United States, CA, San Marino
Joined Jun 2003
62 Posts
EOS Charger

Ditto - I have been using this charger for about 3 weeks and I love it. I now use it more than my standby Schulze 330 - it's just easier to use and my side-by-side comparison has shown that the Hyperion actually charges my packs faster. Next up, I will check packs from both chargers on my CBA II and post my results...
gauchers is offline Find More Posts by gauchers
Old Jul 12, 2005, 05:32 AM
Joined Apr 2004
18 Posts
7I sure is better

Well the old GP triton is heading for the " Things to blow up" shelf, This EOS 7I is fantastic, for my 2x 4S packs in parallel it kicks ass! The triton took 4hrs .. Zzzzz
brhnz is offline Find More Posts by brhnz
Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:19 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Oct 2003
276 Posts
brhnz

I have a the Hyperion e-Meter and an Hyperion 50 amp ESC - very very good products

I have been looking at the Hyperion Charger to supplement my Triton.

Is it just me OR does the Hyperion Charger really look like a new and improved V2 Triton in drag??

I just looked at the on-line manual for the Hyperion charger and man is it similar to the Triton manual - you then look at the display of the Hyperion - the way you navigate thru the menus etc etc...

In no way meant to be negative about the Hyperion products - just curious if you agree
Retro is offline Find More Posts by Retro
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, San Marino
Joined Jun 2003
62 Posts
Hyperion is much better

I used to have a Triton. The Hyperion is far more capable - it can charge up to 5S and can pump out much higher amperage plus it can be safely used with pcm guards. Who knows what factory is making all these chargers, but there are definitely many differences in features.
gauchers is offline Find More Posts by gauchers
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:40 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
I am just a flyer who loves good products and good price :-)
And sure there are many good stuffs out there.

However, not to bash or support anyone,
Thunder Power has good products, agressive marketing stratergy
and great technical support. I think TP has an edge over others.
Just Like Castle Creations. People, including me, just love their great
tech support. I thought of this Hyperion charger before,
but I got the TP 425 instead, just because there is plenty
of info available about the TP charger while almost none about
the hyperion.
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:00 AM
Krasnodar, RUSSIA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
brhnz
I have a the Hyperion e-Meter and an Hyperion 50 amp ESC - very very good products
Also I have:

- Charger
- Emeter
- ESC 10A, 20A,50A
- 2213/20 motor
- Hi-Watt GEARBOX 300
- Propadapter&propsaver
- Ultra-Micro 3.7g Servo

If not two times "very good", then once precisely.

Minus only it:
Aluminum SHAFT for Hyperion XG-300 Gearbox
Soft material
ViktorF is offline Find More Posts by ViktorF
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:05 PM
NZ / Wellington
Joined Jan 2004
474 Posts
You've sold me!

Okay,

I was looking for a new charger for my larger packs, and needed a charger with higher charge rates than my trusty Schulze 330. You guys have sold it to me; my order is in and I'm now waiting for my shiny new EOS 7i.

All my other Hyperion gear has been excellent; I expect the same from the EOS 7i!

Rod
badcockr is offline Find More Posts by badcockr
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:17 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
It still has a 120W maximum charge, so you can only use 7A on small packs. At full voltage, the maximum charge is closer to 3A same as the Triton.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:23 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I have used 7A charge rate on 4S2P 8000 mAh packs.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:28 PM
NZ / Wellington
Joined Jan 2004
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53
It still has a 120W maximum charge, so you can only use 7A on small packs. At full voltage, the maximum charge is closer to 3A same as the Triton.
Yep, but I went in with eyes wide open as 120W gives
5 Cell LiPo = 21V at 5.5A = 115.5 W
4 Cell or below = 7A!

Suits me at the moment! (and I still have the Schulze for charging other packs at the same time)

.... all we need now is a portable thermonuclear 12V power station in order to supply the power at the field

Rod
badcockr is offline Find More Posts by badcockr
Last edited by badcockr; Oct 02, 2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:49 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I have used 7A charge rate on 4S2P 8000 mAh packs.
But that is a low voltage compared to 25 Ni cells and under the 120W limit.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53