HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2005, 12:54 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
Easiest colors to see

My last plane, an Acrophat was covered with a translucent orange and was always impossible for me to tell which way it was oriented. I'm stepping down to an easier to fly t-52 for my second plane and want to know what coloring suggestions people have to make it easy to see.

I was planning on ordering 2 colors of tape and covering the top and bottom of the wing opposite colors but i'm not sure which colors are most visible in the sky.
chrisrham is offline Find More Posts by chrisrham
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2005, 01:46 PM
Are you one of these
loveland colorado
Joined Nov 2003
399 Posts
I have been told that the best thing to do is some pattern on one side and and solid color on the other, it makes for faster identification, different colors are better or worse in different lighting conditions. and when flying you will encounter many lighting conditions. thats my two cents worth.
rcboatnut is offline Find More Posts by rcboatnut
Old May 24, 2005, 02:08 PM
Speed Addict
Mid Maine
Joined Jan 2005
62 Posts
after flying my different strykers, I think I've come up with the best overall colors to keep orientated in most light conditions and I'll be implimenting this combo on my next build.. next week if I finally get a fuse

consists of: very dark colored top in what ever pattern you like (it's all going to be one dark color at distance anyways)
the bottom: the brightest white you can find with black windtips and nose...

what one needs is super contrast between top and bottom colors; black wingtips and nose with a jet white background should make the bottom very distinguishable during flight aerobatics. Especially with a dark colored top

well that's how I'm gonna hit mine anyways .. I tried bright yellow wingtip and nose on current stryker, and it all turns grey at dusk or even dull cloudy days.. the below pic I thought would be good ... not good at all
Maine_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Maine_Flyer
Last edited by Maine_Flyer; May 24, 2005 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add attachment
Old May 24, 2005, 02:55 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,980 Posts
Suggest Black onna Bottom And White on the Top..
Black has V highy visibilty and one really needs to notice if the thing is not showing you it's bottom :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 24, 2005, 05:40 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,972 Posts
Good info here. http://www.ultimatecharger.com/color.html
Coloring R/C Aircraft
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old May 24, 2005, 05:44 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I really like Yellow as it is easy for me to see. Bottom I like to do in the same color with orange or red stripes across the wing. Really shows up well.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old May 24, 2005, 09:58 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,742 Posts
Acording to marketing guru's, red and yellow are the most visable combo. I have used it to great effect. I would beg to differ with the previous poster about using black on top, and a bright color on bottom. If you fly high enough, shadow will make the bottom of just about any colored plane dark grey or black. With a black top, you are left with no contrast. The only exception to this is open frameworks covered with translucent colors. They just glow in bright sunlight! So, I prefer the darker color on bottom, as it will "grey out" anyway. The bright color on top will be more effective in the sunlight. If your flying style does not include much altitude, the solid/pattern style works well.
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
Old May 25, 2005, 07:14 AM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
I just made a built up wing for my AP plane which I regularly fly at the limits of my vision to get good pictures. The top is red SoLite and the bottom is black and white stripes, (b-w-b-w-b from tip to tip.) I am very pleased with the results. It is easy to tell top from bottom, and the black and white is very visible, MUCH better than the stock Slow Stick wing.
T.B.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old May 25, 2005, 07:53 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,516 Posts
WEll everyone is different. One of the easiest colors for me to see is what the "experts" say is the worst... red. Yellow for me is the worst.

Best color combo I ever had was an all pink plane w/ white trim on the top. VERY easy to see in sunny, cloudy, hazy, rainy, snowy, etc conditions. Awhile back a fellow flying buddy was hunting at a fair distance from the field. He said he heard other planes, but my Kougar was the only one he saw Just don't land in a flowering field of CrownVetch.. You'll never find it
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 25, 2005, 07:55 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,742 Posts
What works well is the contrast. Light coloured top with dark bars going spanwise, somewhat like the sunburst pattern. Bottom with light base colour with dark, wide bars going chordwise.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 25, 2005, 10:12 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
You will find that your T-52 is very easy to find orientation with regardless of color. It has a high dihedral wing, tall fuse and good sized tail, all which help.
In addition it does not like to fly inverted at all.
Mine has a green fuselage with a white wing (top and bottom) with a green leading edge. It is my easiest to spot plane. I like to put it way up high and cruise around. At any longer distance, it appears all black.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old May 25, 2005, 11:32 AM
Speed Addict
Mid Maine
Joined Jan 2005
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensrc
. I would beg to differ with the previous poster about using black on top, and a bright color on bottom. If you fly high enough, shadow will make the bottom of just about any colored plane dark grey or black. With a black top, you are left with no contrast.
I would have to respectfully dissagree lensrc, the entire white bottom "with black wingtips and nose" would be quite contrasting to a totally dark top.. the contrasting markings at the bottom will be quite visible... I quess it's impossible to get the perfect colors for all light conditions.. but what I am shooting for is contrast against the sky be it cloudy grey, or white clouds.. I do agree that shadowed bottom will be dark whether it's a dark or light color so the need for the contrasting pattern or wingtips (5-6inches) and nose is needed.. I could be way out in left field with my theory but I think it'll work well... I'll 'see' soon enough.. I also feel that the contrasting pattern of choice should not be too tight or the contrasting pattern at distance will blend to grey..

great thread!
Maine_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Maine_Flyer
Old May 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
Glue can fix that.
Sunny Miami
Joined May 2004
1,192 Posts
The link in post 5 is the definitive work on this subject. I have followed his guidelines and been very pleased.

here is a plane I tested it out on.
Brutus is offline Find More Posts by Brutus
Old May 25, 2005, 05:20 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Whatever color scheme you choose the bottom should be the dark color and the top the light color. The reason for this is that your brain because of sunlight has been programmed to think of the bottom of an object as dark and the top as being light. Not going against this programming makes it easier to get the orientation right as your plane is streaking across the sky.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old May 25, 2005, 05:33 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,073 Posts
I find yellow as the 'best' so far . White is great in a blue sky ... but disappears on a gray one . On my Jitterbug, I added dark trim (dark green) to the top of my all white wing which helped a lot . Agree with above ... Light colors on top, darker on bottom ... I've also found that dark colors on leading edges is bad against a mountain background (dark) . Harder to see on final approach .... So all my 'new' builds will have light leading edges (white/yellow/red for example ) .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark