SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2005, 11:33 AM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Can anyone suggest an alternative to kevlar for “cheapo” liveLive hinges

Can anyone suggest an alternative to kevlar for “cheapo” live hinges? Perhaps nylon?
crashbuilder is offline Find More Posts by crashbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
you may use nylon or peal ply.
Florrain is offline Find More Posts by Florrain
Old May 24, 2005, 12:12 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
Some Moldies use "Peal Ply", same stuff used in vacuum bagging to suck away excess resin. Funny thing is that epoxy doesn’t stick to it and yet it makes good hinges.

Key seems to be it is porous and has as layer of light glass cloth on both sides to hang on to it. After curing, use a straight edge and a tip I read about it to use a Dremel cutting disc by hand ( save the broken ones )and drag across your straight edge to break through the light glass cloth on your hinge line.

It is some type of Nylon mesh and I think it may even have a Teflon coating. I have torn apart crashed wings and checked it out. Maybe about ½ to ¾” on each side of the hinge line is about it.

Regards,

Dan Field
danfield is online now Find More Posts by danfield
Old May 24, 2005, 12:16 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Thanks for the info Dan, very helpful!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old May 24, 2005, 12:27 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
peal ply is nylon based.
Don't use the teflon coated peal ply though. This one doesn't stick at all and wont work.
It releases so good that when you used it to mold some parts under vacume and it is soaked with cured epoxy, you shake it a few times and all the epoxy is on your floor and you can use it again. Scary stuff. The problem seems to be that it leaves a teflon deposit on your molded part preventing a good bond to spars so I stay away from it.

You can find standard nylon peal ply in ribons (not too sure about the spelling)
@+
Old May 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Thanks guys ..... sorry to ask this but here goes ..... any alternatives to peel ply .... anything at the local fabric store?
Old May 24, 2005, 01:00 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
You might look at tyvek - it's the stuff that some Fed-Ex envelopes are made from so if you can get your hands on a couple of those you could cut them up. Maybe use a couple of layers so you don't cut through them when you scratch out your ailerons. Never tried it, just throwing out the idea.

http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old May 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
yes you can definitely find some at the fabric store.
Ask for nylon ribons. It's often used as reinforcement when sewing clothes.
If you can find something with a rather corse wave similar to the wave of a 100gr glass cloth it is even better.

As long as it is nylon based, it should do it.

Don't use cotton as this will dry rock solid when soaked with epoxy.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:16 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbuilder
Thanks guys ..... sorry to ask this but here goes ..... any alternatives to peel ply .... anything at the local fabric store?
Funny you should ask,, Aerospace Composites had a sample bagged wing that used an Silk Handkerchief, pretty for one.

Give it try with a sample section and see. Resin soaks into it, and just try to tear a hanky. 

Cheap as well...

Dan Field
Last edited by danfield; May 24, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:18 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
You might look at tyvek - it's the stuff that some Fed-Ex envelopes are made from so if you can get your hands on a couple of those you could cut them up. Maybe use a couple of layers so you don't cut through them when you scratch out your ailerons. Never tried it, just throwing out the idea.

http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm
I was going to bag a HLG wing with that stuff, never got around to it. It is very tough stuff.

Dan Field
Old May 24, 2005, 01:19 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
I've been using Ripstop Nylon on my Combat airplanes for several years now. You need the stuff that has not been waterproofed. Wet you finger and if the moisture soaks through easily you have found the right stuff. Waterbased polyurathane works well to apply it. I don't know if epoxy will tend to split the nylon or not.

There is also a thread in the for sale section where Kevlar is like $3 or $4 a foot. That doesn't seem like too bad a price.

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old May 24, 2005, 01:20 PM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,054 Posts
Go with reed's suggestion--Tyvek. You can get it at home depot, or fedex. I have used it with plenty of success.
Artsloper is offline Find More Posts by Artsloper
Old May 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
An idea occured to mea few days ago: the people building a house a block down have their entire house covered huge sheets of tyvek. Apparently, it is used to preotect the unfinished house or something.

You could probably get big enough scraps at a construction site for free. Scraps that are simply too small to be used on the side of the house.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old May 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Great info guys ... thanks!

Crash
Old May 24, 2005, 02:20 PM
217 Schnell
Joined Dec 2004