HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:36 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Here we are near the center of the burn zone. The structure behind me actually houses a resident that watches over equipment. Can you imagine being stuck inside that building with a fire raging all around you?
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:53 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Nice work Roger!

Those images and how they highlight burn patterns could really help nail down the cause of the fire.
Good thing they did a good job containing that quickly before it got out of hand.

Ira
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:37 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hi Ira,

Thanks for the compliment!

It's funny that you mentioned exactly what the Emergency Service Officer and a few of the CDF crew members talked about. I hope I can receive copy of the final report, it would be interesting to find out what conclusions they will draw from the photos and ground investigation efforts.

-Roger
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
That kind of feedback could sure help you properly direct your efforts if you ever need to do this kind of thing again.
Maybe you could go over your results with Dan. He has done lots of this kind of work.

Ira
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:00 PM
dissatisfied
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
143 Posts
shot a friend's house in soquel yesterday:

moorejeff is offline Find More Posts by moorejeff
Old Jul 05, 2007, 08:36 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Good job Roger!!
One of the CDF helicopters landed at the EBRC field in Livermore on Tues. AM. They hooked up a water drop bucket, picked up a load of water out of the CA canal nearby and did some practice drops at the field. Great show, unfortunately I didn't have a camara with me. Some of the other guys got plenty of shots though. They were there for at least an hour.We got a chance to crawl all over the equipment and they got a chance to use our Port-Potti. We also got a first hand view of how they practice water drops. Most impressive. Nobody seemed to mind that we couldn't fly while they were there.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jul 05, 2007, 09:49 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,580 Posts
Kern,

Long Time! Did you ask them to water teh grass too?

I drove by yesterday on the way back from Yosemite, it was about noon, 93°*and some of the "mad dog and Englishman " were out there flying, or should I say "frying".

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jul 06, 2007, 07:34 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Brian
You're right, Long time.
My wife and I stopped by there around 10 AM for about 1/2 hour, but it was already getting warm. By 3 PM it got up to 103. To hot for this old body.
I wish they would have watered more of it when they were doing their practice drops. BART, who we lease the property from won't let us cut the grass so we've got lots of fuel around us.
Where you flying these days??

Kern
Old Jul 07, 2007, 02:28 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hello Kern!

My it has been awhile but it is good to see/hear from you again. Sounds like you are having some excitement out at EBRC. I haven't visited since the time I attended the Toys for Tots event a couple of years ago and I have a 'big bird' that needs a flying site like EBRC to fly at. Perhaps we can meet up sometime soon.

Oh, I had completely forgotten I had these photos, taken when my kids and I attended the local 'emergency fair' put on by a number of the county's emergency services.

This was the actual 'bird' being flown at the P.A. fire, a Bell UH-1H. I also have a close-up of the 'bucket', a.k.a. 'Bambi Bucket'. I believe this particular bucket is capable of carrying a good 300+ gallons of water (or retardant)!

And, I just happened to run across this video of a helicopter pilot getting water where he can. My kudos to the pilot of this heli, that is a tight space to manuever in!

Old Jul 07, 2007, 09:15 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Roger
Nice to hear from you! Nice shots!
It might have been the same Bell UH-1H that you have in your picts. Not sure, because I didn't get the number. Same type of bucket set up. When they first showed up at our field the pilot didn't actully set the chopper down he just held it in a hover about 4' off the ground. The crew jumped out and rigged up the bucket under the bird while he hovered over them. Lots of trust in the pilots skill. Unfortunately from where we stood we couldn't see the spot where they were picking the water out of the CA canal. It had to be pretty tricky because the canal is only about 15' wide, it's placed on the side of a hill with a pretty good downslope, and the wind was blowing about 10-12 mph. I would love to have that on video.
Are you referring to the same "big bird" that you built/flew at AZ last year?
If you want to fly at EBRC you're more than welcome anytime. Let me know when you want to do it and we'll work something out. Early AM is always best at EBRC, by noon there is usually a pretty good breeze out there. Gee !! maybe that's why there are so many wind generators out there.

Kern