SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Scunthorpe, United kingdom
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
Well i thought i'd have a go at the F-14 and after 5 evenings i just need the motor and she's ready
playaviation is offline Find More Posts by playaviation
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:11 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Great work so far, playaviation! Let us know how it turns out.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:18 AM
The VF4 Lightning III Project
Scotland
Joined Jan 2009
210 Posts
Great work PA, look forward to seeing it in the air
Muzzy_II is offline Find More Posts by Muzzy_II
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
The VF4 Lightning III Project
Scotland
Joined Jan 2009
210 Posts
Update, flew this afternoon testing the swing wing.
Tests where great, smooth action
The F14 was also able to fly half throttle with the smoothed out intakes, so everything worked really well...however.
On the last pass, i opened the wings out after a fly-by, at this point, we can only guess the mechanism caught the taileron server connection and disconnected both servos.

Unfortunately i was unable to recover the nose cone from the earth, the cockpit is no-more, and some of the main fuse is damaged. So until after December the Tomcat is on hold to be repaired.
Meantime the EDF units + afterburners will go into the F18 Hornet.
Muzzy_II is offline Find More Posts by Muzzy_II
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Larger versions of the F14

I noticed that enlarged plans for many of steves park jets are available, has anyone tried building an enlarged version of the F14? I built one of Steve's F15's years ago and had a lot of fun with it and after shopping around for different types of foam I am thinking about building an F14 that has a WS of aproximately 80" unswept. I really liked the way the little F15 flew with flat wings and control surfaces but if I were to build a big F14 I would build a composite wing with a thin very efficient airfoil. But since I havn't ever flown one of the F14's I don't know if a larger one would be feasible, it would sure be cool though!

I would love to sit and scan over all three hundred and some odd pages but I am getting yelled at to come cut the Turkey!
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:00 PM
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
Decals for 75% F-14

Hi Steve!
Is there any decals for 75% plans?
Or is there any way to resize the 100% decals to 75%?

Thank you
Prego is offline Find More Posts by Prego
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:06 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Prego - Most printer drivers have a scaling feature, so you should be able to set that to any scale you won't and print them out. Just select Print Setup in your graphics program and you should find the setting.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:32 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Max View Post
I noticed that enlarged plans for many of steves park jets are available, has anyone tried building an enlarged version of the F14? I built one of Steve's F15's years ago and had a lot of fun with it and after shopping around for different types of foam I am thinking about building an F14 that has a WS of aproximately 80" unswept. I really liked the way the little F15 flew with flat wings and control surfaces but if I were to build a big F14 I would build a composite wing with a thin very efficient airfoil. But since I havn't ever flown one of the F14's I don't know if a larger one would be feasible, it would sure be cool though!

I would love to sit and scan over all three hundred and some odd pages but I am getting yelled at to come cut the Turkey!
I seen one built at 200% buy a guy who posted it on another forum forgot which forum tho
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:08 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Max View Post
I am thinking about building an F14 that has a WS of aproximately 80" unswept.
80" unswept sounds closer to 300% requires a big car to bring it at the flying field
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:46 PM
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Oct 2009
229 Posts
thoughts about this power setup...

have a 2217/6 1500kv motor and 7x5 prop, flying on a 3s 1800 20c battery will this be adequate power for a good flying this f-14

i know Mr Shumate stated earlier that the 2216 was adequate.... but wondering others thoughts on this setup since i have this, rather than buying a new setup
jquackjr is online now Find More Posts by jquackjr
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:50 PM
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
Prego - Most printer drivers have a scaling feature, so you should be able to set that to any scale you won't and print them out. Just select Print Setup in your graphics program and you should find the setting.
Hi Steve!
I tried and I could change the scale of the decals.
I take a little work to do it but it is ok, I donīt know If it is possible, but I can upload this decals.
I already started the building, but I will take a long time to make it perfect.
With 75% I guess that the size and weight will fit very good for a 2200kv motor with an APC 6x4".
Also I will try to include a landing gear on it, have you ever tried it?
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:28 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
I built one in the 75-80% range. The standard 28mm dia. 2200kv motors may be a bit heavy for the 75% version. I would say 85% would work out better. I would also use a 1320mah 3s battery as well.

Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prego View Post
I already started the building, but I will take a long time to make it perfect.With 75% I guess that the size and weight will fit very good for a 2200kv motor with an APC 6x4".Also I will try to include a landing gear on it, have you ever tried it?
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:19 AM
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
I built one in the 75-80% range. The standard 28mm dia. 2200kv motors may be a bit heavy for the 75% version. I would say 85% would work out better. I would also use a 1320mah 3s battery as well.

Kevin.
Kevin, I've thought about it, but, I will use an 26g servo for the sweep wing and I'll put the ESC near the CG, so it will help a little.
Also I have a 2600kv motor, that is just 10g ligther than the 2200kv, I donīt know if it is a good idea, because Iīll need to reduce the propeler to a 4.1x4.1

But as Iīve started the assembly, I will try with this setup (also with the 1300mah 3S 30C), and if it does not work I will follow your advice and build one with 80-85%.
Thank you
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
wisconsin
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Hi thought i would show you my tomcat when i originally built it i did two 55mm edfs. I didn't like the flight times could only fly for two minutes on 4s 2200. Switched to two 2200 kv rc timer motors lots of thrust and no torque roll it fly's great. Now I'm flying on 3300 3s and can fly for 4or five min.Thanks Steve for a great plan. Here is some pics.
Mark
actiondoc is offline Find More Posts by actiondoc
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:53 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Nice looking model, Mark!