SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2005, 12:12 AM
TOPDOG
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2003
817 Posts
WOW ( say this 20 times) i cant believe what i've missed out on during my 2 week street hockey tournament/tour. Here come the Black Aces and the Jolly Rogers
pacro is offline Find More Posts by pacro
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2005, 12:48 AM
Buffalo Intl, New York, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Good luck Steve - I have a 9 month old baby girl and I couln't be happier even if I can't build as many planes .

Jer

I'll be sending the $10 tomorrow as I build almost all of your designs!
jet_jer is offline Find More Posts by jet_jer
Old May 31, 2005, 01:02 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Child birth is one of those defining moments in a persons life. It's like you will always remember the time before children (BC), but once YOUR child is born, your life is changed forever, after birth! (AB).

Now all ya gotta do is make one of those "Foamy Airplane Mobiles" that hang over the baby's crib, ya know the one with the 20% sized FOAMY's F-14, F-15, F-18, T-38 and the JAS-39 Gripen JETS!!!

They also make cute little plush jet toy's too, for stuffing the crib so your little pilot doesn't go into an inverted flat spin
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old May 31, 2005, 01:23 AM
Ph.D in Depronology
Armageddon
Joined Aug 2004
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Congrads Photon, you beat me to it. Good luck on your maiden. BTW what motor and bat are you using?
Thanks. I am going to try one of the new Himax 2812 outrunners. I'm hoping it will perform well.
Photon is offline Find More Posts by Photon
Old May 31, 2005, 01:27 AM
Ph.D in Depronology
Armageddon
Joined Aug 2004
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Congrats, Photon, you do seem to be the first! Can't wait to hear your flight report. You'll be surprised how smooth and easy to fly it is--it's a real pussycat in the air!
Thanks Steve. I don't know if you'll be surprised to hear this, but the CG was spot on as in the plan. I didn't need any ballast.
However, a minor modification I did (in advance) in regards to component position is put the receiver behind fuse former 3, right at the back of the canopy. It is more accessible and moves CG forward a little, even though it adds a bit of weight in extension wires.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:45 AM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,993 Posts
Pacro,
The Black Aces are now VFA-41, F/A-18F Super hornets. They are in my Airwing on the USS Nimitz CVN-68. I got to fly with them a few times last cruise, I didn't want to go back to my Prowler after that...lol

Kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old May 31, 2005, 10:10 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptabl
Babies are no work at all.
Babies Are No workd at all - Its when they start walking and talking and helping in the works shop that the problems start, and it goes logerithmic from there - then its stopping grandchildren from wreaking the place......
Mind you, in about 25 years time you can then return to airomuddling to find its just a little different ( and even better fun ).
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old May 31, 2005, 10:35 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Lol yeah, Mike is right...the real problems start when they want to help you build planes in the workshop. Or when you take them to the flying field and they want to take the controls of your parkjet so they can do 10 loops in a row. Hehe, parkjets are off limits for now to my herd, but man I've seen my 5 year old son do some amazing things with a Slow Stick. And my 11 year old daughter knows what it's like to have an Aerobird do a fly-off never to be found again. Just be sure to get your son or daughter something virtually indestructible and turn them loose with it, they'll be begging to go fly and then you won't have to justify time spent on the hobby to Mrs. Shumate!
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old May 31, 2005, 12:51 PM
Ph.D in Depronology
Armageddon
Joined Aug 2004
491 Posts
Congratulations, Steve.

And now back to our F-14 topic
I just returned from the maiden flight and here is the report:
I have a nice field next to my house (see below), where I do my 'park' flying. Wind today was a light breeze, about 5 mph.
I took an intuitive launching hold with my left thumb and fingers around the right inlet bottom. Launched at half throttle, with no apparent torque roll.
Increased to full throttle and climbed. As Steve mentioned, it is very well behaved, giving me an easy time when I needed to trim the tailerons somewhat to the right.
Flight was a little sluggish, given its weight (24.5 oz) and the motor/prop combination.
I used an APC 8x6E on the Himax 2812 motor. The same configuration on the F-18 with an AXI 2212/20 seemed to give more RPM, so I'm attributing this to the different Kv. Need to experiment with several props and find the right one.

After I got it all straightened out and circled a little around the park, I tried to wing sweep mechanism. It snapped into position without a problem. I think I put too much elevator mix, so it was pulling up. Easy to correct.

Landing was also very easy, though I'm not brave enough to attempt hand catching it yet.

Sorry for the lack of video, as I don't have anyone I know here who will help me (new neighborhood).

Regarding radio reception and glitches: I didn't wrap the battery wires in foil, and I have not experienced any glitches. Not on the ground, with clear control from 60 feet (collapsed antenna), and not in the air, even 300 feet away. I guess I'm lucky my area is RF clean.

Regarding antenna, since my receiver is at the back of the canopy, I pulled the antenna out below the canopy, pulled back towards the motor, around the fins and taped the end to the middle top of the aft strake.

I will post the best prop info for the motor, as soon as I figure which one it would be.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:01 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,155 Posts
Congrats Photon!

Your info suggests that my Axi 2212/26 might be a good alternative since it's a little bit hotter than the 2212/20

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old May 31, 2005, 01:11 PM
Ph.D in Depronology
Armageddon
Joined Aug 2004
491 Posts
Thanks Ben.

I think you got it backwards. With the AXIs the last number is the number of windings. As I get it, a lower value is hotter (more amps), as the Kv is larger.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,846 Posts
Ok here are some pictures of Mikes F-14 (FL62) and his progress so far. Knowing Mike it will be ready to fly in a day or so....LOL. Notice all the parts. There are plenty. Much more than the F-15 or T-38s we have built.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old May 31, 2005, 03:09 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Congrats on the maiden flight, Photon!! Glad to hear it went well. Can the 2812 swing a 9x6 prop comfortably? If I remember right, that motor has a similar Kv as the Axi 2212/26 which does very well on a 9x6. My F-14 weighs 22.3 oz, and with a Himax 2015-4100 4.4:1 9x6 I get just under 1:1 thrust-to-weight (21 oz static thrust) and very good performance. Unlike the F-18/F-15/Gripen, the real F-14 does not have 1:1 thrust-to-weight, so I consider this to be about the right amount of power for scale-like performance.

Eliworm - Wow, that F-14 is looking NICE! Mike sure knows how to sand and form that foam well. Yes, there are a surprising number of parts, aren't there? I tried to make this ship as simple as possible, but with the wing sweep mechanism and the complex fuselage geometry this is about as simple as I could get it.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old May 31, 2005, 03:16 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
By the way, Photon, I'm amazed you haven't had any troubles with glitching! I also initially had the receiver in the forward fuselage under the canopy, with 4 servo extensions to reach it. But those extensions were the #1 source of my glitching problem. Once I put the receiver in back and eliminated the servo extensions, my airplane was finally flyable (not at all glitch-free, but flyable). I wonder what else is different between our airplanes. Maybe it's just the general RF environment where we each live...

Interestingly, I had to put one additional quarter in the nose to restore balance after I moved the receiver aft, but the weight of that quarter was about the same as the 4 servo extensions I eliminated--so the AUW stayed the same! Now THAT'S a good trade...
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old May 31, 2005, 04:40 PM
Ph.D in Depronology
Armageddon
Joined Aug 2004
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
By the way, Photon, I'm amazed you haven't had any troubles with glitching!
As I wrote in the past, I never encountered glitching with any of the park jets. All fly with the Berg 5 DSP II.
I'm so confident with my radio setup that I taped the battery wire and the servo extensions together

I will try the 9x6 prop, as well as others, and do some V/I/RPM measurements, and post them here.