SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 23, 2005, 10:47 PM
Living a Dream
VA
Joined Mar 2005
1,372 Posts
We could really use your help part 5 - Preparing for Flight

We really could use some help. At Christmas I bought my son a $29.00 Air Hog R/C plane. Actually it really flew well. I really enjoy spending quality time with my 13 year old son. Since Christmas we went out about evry other day to a good sized soccer field to fly. But, I am afraid the Air Hog gave out and left us without a plane. So I got on Ebay an ordered a cheap Symrna Super Sonic RTF. Man have we had a bad luck with this plane. The first day the engines came off and a prop broke after my son crashed it. The side props dug into the sides of the fuselage and tore holes into it. The list goes on and on and on, until recently the right engine stopped working all together. So, we are basically back to where we were before Christmas. I spent allot of time repairing the plane, but by design I guess, it just never few right straight out of the box. My son and I got pretty good at flying and I've really miss those afternoons. My son has been saving and he has roughly 50.00 dollars. Can anyone please help me to find a good plane in this price range? We would really appreciate it.

Thanks Again,
J Jones

UPDATE:
Since this message was posted we have received nothing but kindness, and support from the members of RC. A member that goes by the name of Skroggs went out of his way, and actually bought us a new Pico ARF Cub and a SS with a broken tail that we have repaired.

Another member by the name of Stuart Linfoot offered a donation of parts to complete the new plane, and asked others to donate as well. Since that point we have had many other members offer their support.

I would like to take a moment to Thank everyone for the unbelieveable kindness and support that they have shown us. I would especially like to thank:

SKROGG
BirdBrain
Angel
Stuart Linfoot
Diver Don
RC Flyer
Yukondog
HawkLover
Vanning
Lensrc
Heliguy
Per in Norway!
e-flightline.com
ndawdz

and a Special Thanks to JWarren the Moderator of this Thread..

for thier donations, time and help. Without the help from these people, and the input from so many others. This would have never been possible.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this Thread. You are a remarkable group of people. It certainly has been proven to us that people really do still care. You are the greatest!

Thank You for everything,
James & Erik Jones

Please take a moment to read thru this Thread, the individuals here have made a father and son's dream come true.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350042

This is a Continuation from a fantastic on going Thread called "We Really Could Use Your Help" Please read the original thread. It's a thread that will prove there are people that still care for family values, and friendships. My son and I will never forget what the people here have done for us. But, we still haven't flown yet, so We Could Really use Your help Please don't let this thread and the friendships fade away. We are so close.

Thank you to the great friends that we have made over the past 3 weeks. They are like brothers.

Thank you,
James & Erik
Xwild is offline Find More Posts by Xwild
Last edited by Xwild; Nov 22, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2005, 10:50 PM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
JJ, Did you catch my post on the batt? DD
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Old May 23, 2005, 11:22 PM
Living a Dream
VA
Joined Mar 2005
1,372 Posts
Hey Don yes I sure do. It's been on the charger since 6:00 o'clock and it's only reading a 5 right now.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:33 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
If James and Erik both have functioning transmitters, I won't sent my Focus 4. I'll hold of for a few weeks to make sure they are both working well. If they do work out fine, maybe I can send it to our boys in Iraq. How do I go about doing that? That was soooo many threads ago, I don't know where to find that info.

AD and Vanning, I redid my PS this evening and now I'm getting 12.45 volts. Do I need to be concerned? I've got three 12 volt wires going to one plug, and 2 ground wires on the ground plug. I have the two 1 Ohm 10 watt resisters configured in parallel instead of series now.

So, where are we now? James, when did you guys last go flying? When will you go again? What is preventing you both from flying at the same time?
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old May 23, 2005, 11:43 PM
Living a Dream
VA
Joined Mar 2005
1,372 Posts
We would of gone today if it weren't for the 30mph winds Suppose to rain tomorrow and Wednesday. Hopefully clearing up ion Thursday. We haven't had a battery for the second transmitter. We've never tried the second transmitter because I only had one battery that could be used for a transmitter it came out of our original transmitter. I re-wired the transmitter to handle the battery that we are using now. I think the reason why you were initially I think you mentioned sening it because of the slider issue that we've been having with the transmitter that we use now.
Last edited by Xwild; May 24, 2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:48 AM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
HL, don't know a lot about PSU conversions, but I can tell you that under load my computer's PSU is providing about 12.19v to 12.31v according to a monitoring program. I think there is a certain amount of variation that is considered to be within specs. (Maybe +/- .5v?) I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will chime in and clarify things. (If I ever try to get a computer PSU converted for charger use, I think I'll try to find someone else to convert it or get one already converted. I'm a software kinda guy.)

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a sodering iron, a hardware type with a program patch, and a user with an idea."
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old May 24, 2005, 05:22 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
EV's right. If it makes you feel better, check the tritons manual, i believe it can tolerate 13.8v.
Besides, car batteries put out well over 12v anyways.
As long as the resistors arent blazing hot, i wouldnt worry.

Don, i already added rx and tx plugs to the charger dongle (i think they are the right ones...) they were snipped from a junk hitec wallwart charger so they should be.

JJ, sorry the pkg didnt go out yesterday. The ol' Vanningmobile broke down this weekend (no, its not a van) Spent all my free time yesterday, and then some, shuttling it back & forth to the shop. It'll go out today.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old May 24, 2005, 05:24 AM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
JJ, That doesn't sound right. When it left here Sat it was reading 9.89. Those cells are 1 1/2 yrs old. Let me know how it looks this morning. If it don't come up ,I think we need another game plan. DD
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Old May 24, 2005, 06:22 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
HL,

Like EV & V said, it's not a problem, there is a certain amount of varability, these power supplies are much better than a car battery because the supply a constant 12+ volts. I have been useing mine for a while now with no problems. The Triton and other chargers are made to withstand varability in the supply voltage, in fact when supply is 12-13V constant the charger will work at optimum.

AD
AeroDude is offline Find More Posts by AeroDude
Old May 24, 2005, 06:27 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkLover
I'll hold of for a few weeks to make sure they are both working well. If they do work out fine, maybe I can send it to our boys in Iraq. How do I go about doing that? That was soooo many threads ago, I don't know where to find that info...
All the info is in the Support Our Troops thread in this forum, but you can save a lotta reading by PM'ing me. Holding off for a bit doesnt sound like a bad idea though...
Old May 24, 2005, 07:26 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwild
Hey Don yes I sure do. It's been on the charger since 6:00 o'clock and it's only reading a 5 right now.
5 what? volts? amps?
are you sure you didnt set it to 'cycle'? 5volts is awfully low for a 9.6v pack.
This charger has 'conditioning' function, where it'll repeatedly charge then discharge a pack and store its stats. If you didnt know it already, you want to do this to all your nicad and Nimh packs. Not lipos, they dont need or want it.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:46 AM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning
All the info is in the Support Our Troops thread in this forum, but you can save a lotta reading by PM'ing me. Holding off for a bit doesnt sound like a bad idea though...
Holding off also gives me some time to cycle the batteries. The first charge lasted about 30 minutes. The second almost an hour. The third just over an hour. The transmitter and battery have seen very little use, so I can't imagine the batteries can be that far gone. If I had the proper connector, I'd try to cycle it with the Triton.
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old May 24, 2005, 08:02 AM
Living a Dream
VA
Joined Mar 2005
1,372 Posts
Quote:
EV's right. If it makes you feel better, check the tritons manual, i believe it can tolerate 13.8v.
Besides, car batteries put out well over 12v anyways.
As long as the resistors arent blazing hot, i wouldnt worry.

Don, i already added rx and tx plugs to the charger dongle (i think they are the right ones...) they were snipped from a junk hitec wallwart charger so they should be.

JJ, sorry the pkg didnt go out yesterday. The ol' Vanningmobile broke down this weekend (no, its not a van) Spent all my free time yesterday, and then some, shuttling it back & forth to the shop. It'll go out today.
Shoot that's no problem at all buddy, it's not looking like we won't be able to attempt another flight until Thursday anyway. I'm sorry to hear about your car. I hope it's nothing serious.

Thank You,
James
Old May 24, 2005, 08:05 AM
Living a Dream
VA
Joined Mar 2005
1,372 Posts
Quote:
5 what? volts? amps?
are you sure you didnt set it to 'cycle'? 5volts is awfully low for a 9.6v pack.
This charger has 'conditioning' function, where it'll repeatedly charge then discharge a pack and store its stats. If you didnt know it already, you want to do this to all your nicad and Nimh packs. Not lipos, they dont need or want it.
no the transmitter has a needle that points to numbers from 1 being the least amount of charge to 10 being the max. The needle was pointing to 5 after the 6 hour charge. Sorry about that.

JJ
Old May 24, 2005, 08:06 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Doesnt matter - its a company car. $800 for a new radiator. Though it doesnt leave much cash in the account for my christmas bonus, at least i didnt hafta pay it outta pocket.
Closed Thread