SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2002, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Glitch FREE, easy to do!

I have read about some of your problems with glitches, especially for the ECO fliers. I did some testing today, to see how you could minimize the source of most glitches, the ESC.

I took my Kontronik ESC (StarBEC 40-6-12) and messured it for "radio noise", it was creating a good deal of "radio noise". The next thing i did was to take my TMM 35H ESC and messure that one.

Let me tell you, there was a SIGNIFICANT difference!!!
So why? Ok, the TMM has a ALU houseing so I tried making a simple alu-box, that surrounded the Kontronik ESC. I did also remove the shrimp plastic, and secured the board against the alu-housing. This is also good for colent of the components.

I ran the Kontronik ESC again. And my conclusions are:

MAKE A ALU HOUSEING!!! What a difference!!! No more glitches from this baby. I guess it is to expensive for the makers to use alu housing, but i does really make them ALOT better.

Try this yourself if you are having problems, or want to avoid getting any....
Tom Viper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Viper
Last edited by Tom Viper; Apr 13, 2002 at 04:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2002, 10:54 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Nice work Tom.

I was (or am) getting a lot of glitches in my Eco. But they have gone down considerably since I installed my CF boom.

Fred B recommends to cover the receiver/ESC with aluminum foil as well. So it should make a difference. I'm trying it on my next couple of flights.

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:20 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
I did recommend covering the RX with foil, but not the ESC.

In fact I would recommend NOT covering the ESC with foil unless some cooling is supplied for it.

If it gets to warm and burns up (no safety's in heli mode!) the RF will seem like a small problem.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:59 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
183 Posts
It's funny, I just had a similar problem with my EP Concept!

We(Glenn[electroflyer] and I) were trying to get it set up, and the tail would just swing wildly every second or so. The machine would also "bounce" in the air while it was hovering.

I took it home, and pulled the motor from the machine, thinking that it just needed to be broken in. While I was running it up in my hand(before I broke it in), I noticed that it would jump to full throttle every second or so. It almost jumped out of my hand a few times! Damn, that K-Speed motor has a lot of torque, and it's not even a very hot wind! Installing a schottky diode had little or no effect, which surprised me, although I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from it after I did install it.

I tried breaking it in, and while the arcing was reduced(which I also thought could be causing the problem), it still had this crazy tendency to it.

I figured that it had something to do with interference, so I tried a tinfoil(aluminum foil) shield between the ESC and RX, which happen to sit back to back, the worst situation...

I simply took a sheet of tinfoil, and folded it twice, only to make it smaller, since I tore off more than I should have, so it ended up being about 4 thicknesses. I didn't think it would work too well, since for it to be really effective it should be grounded so that it creates a ground plane between the components. This is what is usually done with RF shielding.

I simply placed it between the RX and ESC, and guess what...NO more crazy glitches! I didn't even have to ground it either.

I don't know if a full enclosure is required(but would obviously work as well or better), but the tinfoil shield certainly made a huge difference. The EP was pretty much unflyable before I installed it. At the very least try the tinfoil before you build/buy an enclosure, so that you can isolate such a problem.

Tomorrow we'll try setting it up again, and we'll hopefully have a better time of it. I really want to see this thing in the air!

Phil.
pitts_s1a is offline Find More Posts by pitts_s1a
Old Apr 14, 2002, 01:38 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Sometimes simple is better!

K.I.S.S.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk