HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2005, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
TZ30 Mousse Can Muffler

Hi all

Just a post to show a TZ30 with an OS32 and a Mousse Can muffler... Apparantely these mufflers were quite popular a couple of years ago (on aircraft I believe). It certainly has improved the power on my small OS, this compared to a standard Hirobo Shuttle muffler!!
Notice the 2oz hopper tank to help clear foaming.

Just some pics to show that we also have loads of fun here in South Africa.

Jaques

PS. I still need to paint the canopy eh!
sharkyZA is offline Find More Posts by sharkyZA
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2005, 03:59 AM
Belgium (www.rcmarket.org)
Joined Jan 2003
14 Posts
Tz 30

sharkyZA

We will have soon a coolest stickers for the TZ, they are made now.

TZ seems to ave old style muffler, and we are in discussion of replacing it with Zimmermann muffler, so maybe some good news soon..
futurac is offline Find More Posts by futurac
Old May 23, 2005, 09:22 AM
Hirobo Flyer
CANADA!!
Joined Mar 2005
222 Posts
Where did you get that pipe?

And what kind of body is that??
Heli-Shultter is offline Find More Posts by Heli-Shultter
Old May 25, 2005, 12:40 AM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
Futurac, you should give us a link to view the new stickers!

The exhaust is a normal header pipe feeding into a deoderant can. On the one side a pipe is fitted for the inlet (base of can), and on the other side a pipe of 70mm (dia of +- 7mm) is glued into the end with a steel-epoxy which they market as 'Pratley Steel' over here, works great.

Used Martin Heppler's tuned pipe designer and worked out dimensions for a 'real' tuned pipe, built a prototype on monday, test ran it and it is scary. The throttle curve with 0 deg collective had to reduce from 57% to 44% to maintain headspeed at 1700rpm. I just hope I can have more flying this weekend!!

Will post a pic of the heli with the prototype tuned pipe after the weekend's flying...

Cheers
Old May 25, 2005, 12:48 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
you should polish up that mousse can....
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old May 26, 2005, 09:00 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Hey Sharky,

did you just drill a hole in the lower end of the can and a hole in the higher end?
Could you tell us a bit more about how you did it?
Looks very nice, actually!
Hope it sounds cool too

Dave
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2005, 12:54 AM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
RNAF

Construction:
The aerosol can is drilled in it's base to accept a short piece of pipe that connects to the header pipe. Mine is 15.88mm dia. alu pipe that is 30mm long with 15mm sticking into the can and 15mm sticking out. It is glued in place with a high temp epoxy.
On the can's small end a pipe of 70mm (dia of +- 7mm) is glued into the end with about 50mm sticking out of the can.

The pipe is much quieter than the standard Hirobo muffler with a marked increase in performance. I can't give any idea how well it performs relative to i.e. a protec pipe, but at least I can say it is better than what I had before.

Question: Do anyone else also have the problem of fuel spray eminating from the carb, which runs down the fan shroud and collects in nice drops of oil all over the bottom of the shroud and motor? I can't think that the oil comes from anywhere else, except the carb. Must be a high intake timing on the OS32...?
Old May 31, 2005, 12:41 AM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
TZ30 with tuned pipe

Hi all

The tuned pipe was made, polished as far as was reasonable and test flown. I am happy to report that it works very well at this stage. I still need to have the stinger pipe welded in, but all in good time. As it is now it performs really well, albeit loudly...

Jaques
Old Jun 01, 2005, 08:10 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Hey Sharky,
I love those pictures, nice resolution! made from a cool angle too.

About the fuel spraying out of the carb. It could be that the engine's too rich (i.e. too much fuel). Though I suppose the engine runs decently. Try to hover and ask someone to pay attention to that part.

Hope you solve the prob soon
Dave
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member