SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2005, 03:30 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
Indoor Jedi Star Fighter

Hello guys, not pics yet but the las saturday I tried to fly the new plane in the fleet, a styrofoam JSF, 9" w.s with JMP receiver and std. actuators, powered by M20 7:1 geared, 10 cm blue prop, but the plane is some hard to fly, it has camber and reflex in the delta wing, and is unpowered, once I got the correct trib, only flew half circle.... do you can tell me an advice to get more power?

The JSF weighs 26.2 grams and have a WL of 2.6 oz/sq. ft. I thought to replace the motor, to use the N20 with DD u80 prop.

Thanks.

Alf
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2005, 04:24 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Maybe to omcuh drag in the airframe. Also, the Jedi Starfighter lacks proper vertical stabalization. Is this the new starfighter or the older one, IE does it have a TIE-fighter canopy in the middle, or is it a long triangle?
I believe all the trim you put on it added too much drag, so you need an alternate form of stability; adding a clear plastic v-stab underneath/on top will help stability.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old May 22, 2005, 04:26 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Very interesting. I have heard of other larger (cd rom brushless i think) jedi starfighter projects in RC groups, one had some success, profile body/depron. It is basically a delta and should be easy to 'make' it fly. I can't help you with the power system but i'd like to wish you luck. I had built some sp400 powered Millenium falcons, had some success but still in the process of finishing my new one, hopefully to fly better with some brushless urge. Thanks, you have encouraged me to get back on my millenium falcon project. Good luck with yours!!

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old May 22, 2005, 04:28 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
Is the older one, profile fuselage and delta wing, the stability is not problem, the profile cockpit serves as a rudder, the foamy is 3mm, so the drag is small, the real rpoblem is the low power, it can not mantain the flight.

Thanks.

Alf
Old May 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
Like this but smaller:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125797

Cheers again

Alf
Old May 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
I see. You may need a geared n20 or even a small brushless :-)
Old May 22, 2005, 04:34 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
I think in N20, as the receiver is the JMP with one 145 mah cell I can not to use the brushless

Cheers

Jedi Alf
Old May 22, 2005, 04:44 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
Alfredo
I use the Blue 10cm prop with the kenway gearbox which is 4.2-1 and I think it produces more thrust than the N-20 geared or direct drive. Make sure you put a small drop of oil on the bushings of the gearbox and on the motor bushings. This has to be done about every 8 or ten flights. You also need a fresh 250 ma battery to get max power from this set up. I don't think the 170ma or smaller can maintain enough current to give you maximum output.
Dan
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
Old May 22, 2005, 11:43 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,044 Posts
sorta-x-wing

i built this when the plantraco equipment first came out. i loved the X-Wing look of star wars, but thought i'd give it my own twist, and this is what came out. i wanted it to have some unconventional looking wings, even if that meant sacrificing total wing area, so i put on 4 wings instead. i put on a penny for a glide test, not knowing how it would really fly, but surprisingly it glided rather well, much further than i expected. i know the standard micro equipment will be too heavy, but the .38g plantraco rx, with .6 gram actuators, 4mm or 6mm DD motor and 30mah lipo, the AUW should be low enough to not make uncontrollably fast. unfortunately, i dont have the plantraco equipment yet, so it's still just a glider, but someday...
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old May 23, 2005, 09:39 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
Hi guys, I changed the M20 motor for an N20 with the same 7:1 gear and the 12 cm blue prop, not fly yet but the power "sense" more, I hope to get the flight now
Dan thanks for the oil advice I going to do it
Micro, nice glider, complex and unexpected design it is, maybe in a near future flight RC it will... I love the Joda style

In june 18 and 19 will be the SW Guadalajara convention, I wish to build a lot of gliders for the kids, I think in the A wing, JSF from E2 and E3 and to get the flight handle in the RC small version, in next days the report

Jedi Master Bodo Baas
Keeper of the Holocronīs bridge
Old May 23, 2005, 09:44 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
Snake, thanks for share your Millenium Falcon, a guy from the SW club will to love it, how do MF handle? I guess it is a speedy plane...just as the original

Cheers

Alf
Old May 24, 2005, 07:18 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Actually, there is two threads on the millenium falcon in the Parkflyer section, all progress is there. I am not the only one who has built one, but the thread starter has had the most successful flying so far.

From my flights, it handled rather well, but trimming it up is rather hard and i had a fair few crashes. I hope to return with #2 and a Brushless motor someday, it has a larger wing area which will help.

Yesterday, i tried a micro falcon with a 1 channel rx to imitate the JMP, flew fine and glided nicely, i installed some actuators but the contol surface were too small, but i think rudder will be alot easier to make and will work much better. Obviously, the verticle stabilzer/rudder shows clearly, but some clear plastic will do next time.
Just someday...she'll fly..

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old May 26, 2005, 10:44 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
We hope soon
Old May 26, 2005, 11:02 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Hey Alfredo- Do you have plans for the FF A-wing? Or a good 3-view?
Old May 27, 2005, 07:43 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,237 Posts
Let me to ask to my son Yhoshua, he have a computer game that have almost all the first ships , latter I tell you, but now:

http://search.espanol.yahoo.com/sear...+wing&ei=UTF-8

Cheers.

Alf