SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Mark's Models (Dynaflite) Sensor 117

I bought a Dynaflite Sensor 117 off Ebay last week. Was that anyone from this site?? It looks like its going to fly pretty nice, I've just started building the left wing.
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2005, 12:14 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Since some of you have read this post, I will add pictures. I'm new to this site- what's a quick way to upload the pix? and what size should they be? are there limits to how many we can post?

thanks,
JZ
Old May 24, 2005, 05:02 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Pictures have to be less than 100k. Just hit the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the page and add the pics using the attachment feature. Maybe 5 is the limit, but just make another post to add more.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old May 24, 2005, 01:05 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
OK Kwok, I will give that a try. I have the left inner wing panel pretty much done, but I am going to deviate from the plan on the spoiler construction. The original is a blade that's about 8-10 inches long that extends vertically up from inside the wing. The extend mechanism is via a cable to the servo in the fuselage, and retract is provided by rubber bands. Obviously before the age of the common micro servo. I plan to install 1 HS85 in each wing that will simultaneously extend the flap and spoiler both at the same time. This was an early crow configuration without roll control- I want to give it a try. I'll post pix.
JZ
Old May 24, 2005, 03:58 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Love the Sensor

I built a Sensor back in '88. I still have it in the garage. At the time it was failry high-tech. The fusalage was heavy by today's standards, but strong. I built mine per plan but my flaps warped when covered with monocoat. The flaps were not sheeted on the bottom side. I stripped the monocoat off and trimmed and sheeted the underside with no further warping. I liked the flap mechanism using one servo in the nose. I built my spoilers per plan except using springs insteaad of rubber bands and had no problems.
All in all a fine sailplane; I had alot of fun with mine.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Last edited by Buran; May 24, 2005 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Insert Picture
Old May 24, 2005, 04:51 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Sensor 117

Buran, you're the guy whose picture I saw. When I saw the kit up for auction on Ebay I was trying to get a better look at it. I was toying around with this one and a couple of other ones on NSP. After seeing your picture I decided to buy it. Got it for 132.00 plus shipping. I have sheeted the bottom of the flap, and I am going to put a servo in each wing. Hopefully this little picture I drew comes out ok. I plan on flying slope, where it varies from 3mph up to 15 or so. The lift is spotty though, because it's actually a riverbed, with about a 75 foot drop to the bottom. As long as you have 3-5 mph, you can stay up but you really have to scrape around for anything. It's right next to a public park, with a nice grassy area so It's a relaxing spot- lots of public interest too.
Old May 24, 2005, 05:14 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Jzannutto Dude you are in the thermal paradise in the San Juaquin valley don't limit yourself to just sloping. With that big wing you will be able to fly for hours!! I was stationed at Lemoore I learned to fly thermal's only after the fact did I find out about Visalia and FALL FEST is the thermal soaring capital of the world! Lemoore is the first place I specked out a sailplane. Summers ROCK for thermals in the valley! I like to slope but love to thermal please do not waste that big wing just on slope! I am biased though I am planning on being down in Lemoore beginning of August just to get some of the Big Boomers!!!

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Last edited by Soar_dude; May 24, 2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:10 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Here's 3 pictures so far. The left inner wing panel on the bench, the fuselage, and one view of the blueprints.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:15 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
SD, yeah I know about them thermals... just a quick hi-start or Discus launch and you can fly at any schoolyard or open field here in the city. But, I enjoy having the model close, at eye level or just above. Just personal preference as you said.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:37 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Hey Jzanutto Gonna give you two more suggestions. You should have you flaps and spoilers on separate servos. The reason for that is you will be able to put your flaps down to increase the sailplanes lift when you are working the light lift. The other suggestion is to put in a ballast box or tube. Adding ballast when it is breezy will allow you to penatrate the wind better.

Soar Dude
Old May 24, 2005, 10:38 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
S Dude- did you know there is a hobby shop named after you? It's in Salt Lake City and it's called "some dude's hobby shop". One of the best shops I've seen since the 70s. Anyway, right now my glider budget is bigger than my radio budget so for the time being I have to suffer with a 4 channel. A nice sailplane programmable radio will be on the horizon though. Any good suggestions???
JZ
Old May 25, 2005, 09:38 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
I agree with Soar Dude regarding the flaps and spoilers. I flew my sensor thermal and slope and used the flaps to increase camber alot. The sensor's flap mechanism worked great for me and with one servo wasn't that great a weight penalty. Also it was simpler to build than it looks.

You can get a 5 or 6 channel pretty cheap. I didn't have a computer radio in '88 and I did fine.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old May 25, 2005, 10:48 AM
SSP#14 aspirant
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Hitec Optic 6 awesome radio for the price. Although you should go to the Hobby shop in Visalia. Gloria has the best prices for radio equipment Hobbytown USA in Fresno is overpriced. It will be worth the drive! She also has good prices on Monokote too.

Soar Dude
Old May 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
yeah, those franchise stores have to make up for their big overhead.
Old May 25, 2005, 01:19 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
for now I am going to hook up with 1 servo and fly it. Then I will just wait and upgrade my radio. There is room for another baby servo in each wing.