SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: GREATEST STAR WARS QUOTE!
"Laugh it up, fuzzball." --Han to Chewbacca 188 19.81%
"I am your father." --Vader to Luke 167 17.60%
"Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." --Ben 42 4.43%
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda to Luke 212 22.34%
"I got a bad feeling about this."--Han Solo and others 107 11.28%
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa." --Vader, after strangling Needa 51 5.37%
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee." --Leia to Han 29 3.06%
"Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!" --Han to the Falcon 125 13.17%
Other (post it in the thread) 28 2.95%
Voters: 949. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
Hi again guys.

First off, big thankyou to gadgetman for posting the elevator set up for me. Definately helped out.
Secondly, im afraid that there may not be any updates for a couple of days due to me slipping a disc in my back yesterday afternoon.

Im a doorman (bouncer) by trade and have never been injured in the course of my job before so i pretty much felt i was indestructible.

How wrong can i be !!!

Heres a tip ladies and gentleman, NEVER bend over the sink whilst brushing your teeth and cough.

Thats what happened to me and now i will not be working for at least the next two weeks.

Pathetic isnt it LOL.

In reply to your post theKM, I have never flown an RC aircraft in my life but dont worry, there is no way i am going to maiden the phoenix.
I have been into my nearest RC shop several times and im beginning to build up a rapport with the owner. He has promised to Maiden the plane for me.

In the meantime, im going to download the planes for a trainer and start of with one of those, also, the radio i have will connect to my pc so im going to buy some training software.

Anyway, im hoping that i will be able to continue work in the next few days when i will be able to move a little easier.

Thanks for all your comments guys, I really appreciate all the nice things you have been saying about the phoenix build.

Cheers for now.

Paul
fury101 is offline Find More Posts by fury101
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
Its me again LOL

Just thought id post this whilst im still able to type.

Getting a little paint on the Phoenix. Obviously still incredibly rough but its getting there slowly.

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Staten Island
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
WOW FURY101,
Excellent
WWIFlyin'Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWIFlyin'Ace
Old Feb 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
zoot
Australia
Joined Feb 2006
100 Posts
Cool looking bird.Looks like the C of G will be important on this model.Hopefully you won"t need canards because of the wide platform of the fuse front end.Just remember to yell out """G FORCE""" before you launch her into the air.. !
zoot is offline Find More Posts by zoot
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
still working on putting it together and also giving it it's first coat of paint.

Waiting for an order of acrylic paint to arrive before i can do much more.

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:32 PM
Transmute!!!
Joined Oct 2005
5 Posts
Hey Paul,
I have been at a friends Wedding on the Gold Coast (over a thousand km's away from home), and haven't finished off the pods yet.
I won't be back home for another week so, I will give you what I have so far...

I made a rough (but useable) POD template that you can resize as you require.
Once you resize it to suit your model, just measure from the top to the bottom and call that the width as well.
The thickness of the depron/foam will determine how many pieces/profiles you will need to cut. (the thinner, the better)

As the pods are long and round you just cut smaller profiles (depending on what thickness depron you're using) of the same template, laminate/glue them all together then sand it a bit and it's all done!!!

1st is an elevation/side view, the 2nd & 3rd are plan/top view
Hope this helps!
Gadget Man is offline Find More Posts by Gadget Man
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:44 PM
Transmute!!!
Joined Oct 2005
5 Posts
Forgot to add these...Sorry
Gadget Man is offline Find More Posts by Gadget Man
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:33 AM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man
Hey Paul,
I have been at a friends Wedding on the Gold Coast (over a thousand km's away from home), and haven't finished off the pods yet.
I won't be back home for another week so, I will give you what I have so far...

I made a rough (but useable) POD template that you can resize as you require.
Once you resize it to suit your model, just measure from the top to the bottom and call that the width as well.
The thickness of the depron/foam will determine how many pieces/profiles you will need to cut. (the thinner, the better)

As the pods are long and round you just cut smaller profiles (depending on what thickness depron you're using) of the same template, laminate/glue them all together then sand it a bit and it's all done!!!

1st is an elevation/side view, the 2nd & 3rd are plan/top view
Hope this helps!

Thanks very much, i really appreciate the work you have put into this for me.

What do you think of her so far? Im pretty pleased. Will be working on the nose ridges today and also the rear engines (found some lovely engine bell shapes on the new style Lynx deoderant cans)

Unfortunately i will have to wait until at least Wednesday for the rest of my paint to turn up and then i will get the servos fitted.

So, it's nearly there

I just pray that she flies ok, if not, i will still have a nice model to put up on the wall

Hope the wedding went well.

Paul
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
ok, feeling a bit better now and cant help but work on the phoenix I really got the bug on this one.

As suggested by GADGET MAN I have carved the wing pods using a template made by GADGETMAN (many thanks for that. Scaled it at 80%).

I have come up with a shape that im happy with, it looks good to me

Still waiting for paint but these are pics of the test fitting of the wing pods.

You might notice the Lynx lids masquerading as jet outlets in this one

More updates when paint arrives. (hopefully Wednesday)
Last edited by fury101; Feb 27, 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 03:26 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
My paint finally arrived today so i have been working on the phoenix again.

Heres some beauty shots

Servos are linked up by the way so i just gotta finish the cosmetics and then its off to the model shop to get it weighed and the correct motor and prop sorted out
Old Mar 04, 2008, 02:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
A little more paint work done.

Old Mar 04, 2008, 02:18 PM
Jody Bradshaw
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,061 Posts
Looks like you're ready to start mounting electronics.

Looks great.
JMBRAD is offline Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:34 AM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
Just taken a couple of shots out in the garden so you can see the rough size of the model.

Some very nice people on a gatchaman website provided me with screenshots so the wing art is correct.

Cheers

Paul
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
The bird looks great paul. Please dont hang it on the wall. Design a motor mount and install electronics. Balanced correctly she will fly!
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
I just discovered this thread. Here's a link to my TIE Advanced build

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838206
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff