SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: GREATEST STAR WARS QUOTE!
"Laugh it up, fuzzball." --Han to Chewbacca 188 19.81%
"I am your father." --Vader to Luke 167 17.60%
"Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." --Ben 42 4.43%
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda to Luke 212 22.34%
"I got a bad feeling about this."--Han Solo and others 107 11.28%
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa." --Vader, after strangling Needa 51 5.37%
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee." --Leia to Han 29 3.06%
"Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!" --Han to the Falcon 125 13.17%
Other (post it in the thread) 28 2.95%
Voters: 949. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:46 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Go-rc, thanks for doing these cool threads (this one and the one about your original falcon build). I'm wondering, did you ever try to fly your Y-wing? That's one of my favorite star wars fighters so I was pretty excited to read that you built one. Also, where might one download the plans for the falcon nowadays? I looked at the foamfly.com site but didn't see the plans listed anymore.... Thanks!
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:36 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Nice work guys!
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
Please allow me to register my amazement at the fact that some of those star wars designs actually fly. Ive got a couple of servos, a 7.2v 800mah lipo, and a 300 brushed motor that at the moment are doing absolutely nothing. I was thinking of buying some foam and making a plane myself. Ill consider something is this category, star wars is cool.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Hey all, Thanks for the comments and if ya havent taken a look yet, click over to Big J's thread and check out his A-wing. very cool, have a look.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717172
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Last edited by GO-RC; Aug 22, 2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:30 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Hey Fury, very nice.
I too watched that show, about 4:30 after school. The Phoenix could fly great. It would make a great pusher. CG is probably just around the leading edge of the wing. Looks like you will have to enlarge the vertical tails and or the little fins on the wingtips. You maybe could get away with enlarging the wings some and keep a scale appearance. Possibly some small canards made out of clear cd cases or Lexan up front. Anyway, a great start, she looks nice.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
I finally got up a short video of the maiden on the Thunder fighter test bed. The camera we have really bites so its poor quality. My launcher is also the cameraman so the video picks up once he got the camera going into the second circuit. The ship flew stable in level flight great. The CG was on the money, but I had the throws to high and she was extremely sensitive. So I decided to land it for an adjustment. Sadly on approach my pilot skills let me down and she hit pretty hard. Believe it or not there was very little damage and we flew her a few more times. The video is poor but I figured you all may want a peek anyway. My conclusion to the flight testing is that the craft will benefit greatly if I add the dual rudders to the control layout and go ahead with the 3D scale version.

Bad Video
Last edited by GO-RC; Sep 09, 2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:05 AM
slowest builder ever
Dacula GA
Joined Jun 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO-RC
I finally got up a short video of the maiden on the Thunder fighter test bed. The camera we have really bites so its poor quality. My launcher is also the cameraman so the video picks up once he got the camera going into the second circuit. The ship flew stable in level flight great. The CG was on the money, but I had the throws to high and she was extremely sensitive. So I decided to land it for an adjustment. Sadly on approach my pilot skills let me down and she hit pretty hard. Believe it or not there was very little damage and we flew her a few more times. The video is poor but I figured you all may want a peek anyway. My conclusion to the flight testing is that the craft will benefit greatly if I go ahead and add the dual rudders to the control layout and go ahead with the 3D scale version.

Video
BEDA BEDA Very nice Buck
wilky is offline Find More Posts by wilky
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:38 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlives1955
Hey Go-rc, thanks for doing these cool threads (this one and the one about your original falcon build). I'm wondering, did you ever try to fly your Y-wing? That's one of my favorite star wars fighters so I was pretty excited to read that you built one. Also, where might one download the plans for the falcon nowadays? I looked at the foamfly.com site but didn't see the plans listed anymore.... Thanks!
I still have the Y-wing. Finally got the carbon rods needed for the engine pods. I made a little test glider and located the CG. Just need to finish the engines, add a couple clear vertical fins and install the radio, hopefully soon. I have a curse where my interest wavers from project to project. Think they call it short attention span.
Anyway the Falcon plans are avaliable in the thread at this link.

PLANS
MILLENNIUM FALCON Plans & Construction Guide
Last edited by GO-RC; Sep 12, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2007, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts
Quote:
Hey Fury, very nice.
I too watched that show, about 4:30 after school. The Phoenix could fly great. It would make a great pusher. CG is probably just around the leading edge of the wing. Looks like you will have to enlarge the vertical tails and or the little fins on the wingtips. You maybe could get away with enlarging the wings some and keep a scale appearance. Possibly some small canards made out of clear cd cases or Lexan up front. Anyway, a great start, she looks nice.
Thanks Go-RC

This is only the glide test model and not accurate to what i will be building, i will be enlarging the wing area slightly and of course i will be enlarging the vertical.
It glides beautifully for a good 20 to 30 ft before it floats down onto its belly, I havent managed to get it to nose OR tail dive yet
You are absolutely right about the centre of gravity I am using a 5 pence piece taped to the underside to work out where it is
There will be pods rather than fins on the end of the wings. My biggest challenge (i think) is to get some cones that will fit and look good.

Will be starting the big version next week when i go back to night shifts at work.

Will keep you guys posted with pics.
fury101 is offline Find More Posts by fury101
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:17 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
An Idea for the pods might be a foam fishing lure bobber. They are very close to the shape and come in all sizes. Or just sandwich a few pieces of Depron together and sand away. Ship looks great so far.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 11:37 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Has anyone been able to find any 3 views of this ship from Episode III. Its too sweet not to be built.
Last edited by GO-RC; Sep 04, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
OK, does anyone recognize this craft?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Staten Island
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
UH..... no?
WWIFlyin'Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWIFlyin'Ace
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Its from Star wars
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:51 AM
Boston, MA
Joined May 2003
165 Posts
Quote:
OK, does anyone recognize this craft?
I'd answer, but I would be cheating. GO-RC already showed me pics of this awesome new build!
Snuffleupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffleupagus