SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: GREATEST STAR WARS QUOTE!
"Laugh it up, fuzzball." --Han to Chewbacca 188 19.81%
"I am your father." --Vader to Luke 167 17.60%
"Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." --Ben 42 4.43%
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda to Luke 212 22.34%
"I got a bad feeling about this."--Han Solo and others 107 11.28%
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa." --Vader, after strangling Needa 51 5.37%
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee." --Leia to Han 29 3.06%
"Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!" --Han to the Falcon 125 13.17%
Other (post it in the thread) 28 2.95%
Voters: 949. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:40 AM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Thanks GO-RC,
I was rethinking my design last night and I came to the conclusion that my control surfaces are too small and I need a lighter motor(I used brushed 400)what is the correct way to figure control surface size?I am gonna order a cd from balsapro.

I was thinking about putting a couple of laser pionters(green)on these ships for night runs.
nstaller is offline Find More Posts by nstaller
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:12 AM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
How about maybe building her a little bigger all together and staying with the same motor?
Have a look at this file. It has good info on control surfaces.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/downlo...sis/da_web.doc
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:24 AM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
thanks I am printing it out now
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:44 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
27 Posts
Maidened the X-wing about an hour ago.....No video, sorry. First attempt was to do a ROG takeoff....Couldn't get it to go in one direction consistently, so I had a fellow flyer hand launch it for me. First time at half-throttle, it went straight, balanced, but no lift or effect from the ailevons. Second attempt was at almost full throttle. I think that there was too much thrust which caused the engine to yaw around. Third time I tried half-throttle but still yawed again. Not sure if the toss was the same though since someone else is doing it. This time it cracked part of the wing, easily fixable though. I'm going to do three mod's tonight:

1.) steerable nose gear
2.) second control surfaces on the lower wings and joined to the top
3.) fixed rudder on the top

We'll see what happens. Depending on the outcome of tomorrow's tests, I may move the motor to a puller rather than a pusher. I haven't given up hope yet!

Jason
jgiannini is offline Find More Posts by jgiannini
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:58 AM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
I am having the same problems with my elevons.They are not having any real effect.I am going with Go-Rc's suggestion and doubling the size of the ship and I am also gonna enlarge control surfaces by 1/2.Gonna get a 400 outrunner and try it in a pusher setup.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:00 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
809 Posts
This is off topic but I thought you might be interested. There is a Babylon 5 post in the Jet Pushers thread about the Whitestar.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405044

This got me thinking about a thread I had read a while back about a similiar plane. I did some searching and it looks like iwatoy.com is ready to release the model in a month or two. I am a huge Babylon 5 fan and this thing is so close I can taste it. I am sure it could be built from foam. Please have a look.

Thanx
savall21 is online now Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:32 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
I would love to see that fly.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
809 Posts
Check out the video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287323
http://www.iwatoyco.com/default.asp#15

The first link is a thread about the first prototype. The second looks to be closer to production. They are expecting to release in October.

Somebody here has to have the skills to do something similiar. The wing is very innovative but the build does not look that complicated. I am going to give it a go myself but designing is not really my think. Any of you creative types wanna have a go????
savall21 is online now Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:15 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Go-Rc
I scaled my drawings up and came out with a wing span of 16" (not counting fuse) and a wing area of 280".That should equal out to about 15-18 oz rtf.Looking back at the first attempt I believe that is was just too small.That motor looked awfully big on the front of that thing
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:23 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannini
Maidened the X-wing about an hour ago.....
Jason
Jason,
Sounds like the changes your making should help. I used a vertical fin on my x-wing test glider and she had 0 yaw. I used a fin simular in size to the one on this rocket.
Also maybe just enlarging the elevons all together might help there? Anyway "don't give in to the dark side!" She'll fly.
Last edited by GO-RC; Aug 17, 2005 at 03:15 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:41 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
Go-Rc
I scaled my drawings up and came out with a wing span of 16" (not counting fuse) and a wing area of 280".That should equal out to about 15-18 oz rtf.Looking back at the first attempt I believe that is was just too small.That motor looked awfully big on the front of that thing
I think your moving in the right direction. If you just enlarged the whole plan I would still try to scale up just the wings some more also. Maybe steel a little more wing area. Not to much, gotta keep the scale appearance.
Last edited by GO-RC; Aug 17, 2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:47 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savall21
Check out the video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287323
http://www.iwatoyco.com/default.asp#15

The first link is a thread about the first prototype. The second looks to be closer to production. They are expecting to release in October.

Somebody here has to have the skills to do something similiar. The wing is very innovative but the build does not look that complicated. I am going to give it a go myself but designing is not really my think.....
Nice ship! Could be a fun build. Maybe tough to get the cruves just right. Anyway looks fun to fly!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:51 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Nstaller this is for you. I just had to share this sweet picture! "kick in the turbo"
Last edited by GO-RC; Aug 17, 2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:48 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Made some progress on the Y-Wing. She’s starting to take shape. There’s not allot of wing on her but I'm counting (hoping) I will get some lift from the large cockpit and fuselage. It may be hard to see now but I think she will look and hopefully fly pretty well.
Last edited by GO-RC; Aug 17, 2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 03:08 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Plan Update

Small updates made to the Millennium Falcon plans. On page one the "rear bottom panel" had said to make 4 but only 1 is needed. The "Page 1 PDF" has been corrected.