HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: GREATEST STAR WARS QUOTE!
"Laugh it up, fuzzball." --Han to Chewbacca 188 19.81%
"I am your father." --Vader to Luke 167 17.60%
"Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." --Ben 42 4.43%
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda to Luke 212 22.34%
"I got a bad feeling about this."--Han Solo and others 107 11.28%
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa." --Vader, after strangling Needa 51 5.37%
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee." --Leia to Han 29 3.06%
"Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!" --Han to the Falcon 125 13.17%
Other (post it in the thread) 28 2.95%
Voters: 949. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 30, 2005, 04:22 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaste
What kind of glue are you guys using? I have tried several, with poor success so far...
I use 3M spray adhesive, CA with accelerator and epoxy for motor mounts.
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2005, 04:32 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
681 Posts
GO-RC:
How much travel are you using on the control surfaces??I gotta find my radio owners manual to see how to program it for elevons.

Couple of more pics.
nstaller is online now Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:13 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
WoW, Great job! She looks very good.
I started out with throws of 1" and went to 3/4". How many hours do you think you've got into her so far? What kind of weight are you looking at?
Last edited by GO-RC; Jul 30, 2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 09:58 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
681 Posts
Thanks,I am very happy with her so far .I have got about 10 hrs in her so far,ready to fly probably about 12 hrs.I dont know the weight I gotta get a scale.If she dont fly right I'm gonna hang it up in my boys room and build another from 6mm and 3mm Depron with edf's (still plan on doing it even if she flies right).I was about to build one of those flying hydros but now I am glad I didnt get started(this is so much cooler)
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:55 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
12 hours is pretty good. How bout paint, you gonna spray it?
Keep up the good work.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:38 AM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
681 Posts
I plan on painting it after I maiden it.I am superstitious about"finishing one " before I fly it.I am a little worried about the cg.I bet this thing is a handfull if not perfectly balanced .All thats left to do is finish up the top control surfaces.
I went to Wally-World today to get a scale but they were out.I estimate the auw to be around 18 ounces.
I usually fly at a school right around the corner but once I get it trimmed out I'm gonna go out to the local field,cant wait to see the look on those crusty-old geezers faces when I pull this out of the truck

Might even dress like Hans-Solo
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:23 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Heheh, I got some crazy looks of my own. Most never believed it would fly at all ,but you could tell the Star Wars fans by the smile on thier face when she took the air.
Old Aug 01, 2005, 12:39 AM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
681 Posts
Go-RC,
Looks like no maiden till the end of the week .Got some stuff I need to do.How far are the upper and lower elevons apart.I am having trouble getting them even.Kinda of tricky with the shape of the ship.
Old Aug 02, 2005, 12:49 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
The distance between the upper and lower elevons is about 2 inches. This may vary a little. You will find also that ya may need to trim a little off from the inside edge where the elevons meet so they wont bind when they move up or down.
Last edited by GO-RC; Aug 02, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2005, 01:43 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
27 Posts
All - Just to give an update on the ducted fan X-wing. I have finally finished the build of it! Allerc had a special on the 10-amp CC speed controls, so I stocked up... Well...I tried to get her off the ground, but no luck. I had one of my fellow flyers try throwing her with full throttle and it seemed to climb and stall immedidately. Crashed and broke one of the wings. Brought it home and glued it back together. I also placed some small supports between the wings for some added support. I also found that it needed to be more nose heavy so I shifed the battery up a couple inches. That was yesterday. Today went down to the field at luinch again and another fellow flyer toss it. Definitely better, but yaw was still a problem. Probably part to do with throwing it. I gave it another couple of test throws and figured it was a little too nose heavy. dialed in a little up elevator and tried it one last time. Went a little straighter and crash.....snapped off the left wing/fuse....Nice! On to rev 4 tonight. I'm going to try to make more picture documentation as well. Pusher prop this time....my guess is that for the ducted fan setup I'll need a bungee launch. Once I can make sure I have the aerodynamics sound, I'll go back to DF.

Jason
jgiannini is offline Find More Posts by jgiannini
Old Aug 03, 2005, 09:24 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Hey Jason, glad to here your still at it! I think your on the money with the launcher. Sounds like a bungee IS needed to get her up to crusing speed. What size and weight did you end up with? I'm sure a nice brushless motor would get you flying. Anyway, I would love to see more pics of your prototype. Good luck!
Old Aug 04, 2005, 07:50 AM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO-RC
StrelecMP thanks for the ship info. Sounds like a couple of nice light ships. What kind of flight performance do you get?

Headhunter is typical slowflyer, it can loop, sometimes roll. Delta can circle by that time. They are not 100% fighters, but in the air looks very interesting. I'am not skillful modeler.
StrelecMP is offline Find More Posts by StrelecMP
Old Aug 04, 2005, 08:37 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
27 Posts
Unfortunately it was 24 oz. With the thrust data on Balsa Products website, I should be getting about 5.9 oz. thrust, so times 4 engines is about 23.6 oz. total thrust. Almost a 1:1 ratio. Of course, the battery is 6+ oz., so if I can cut a couple ouces off with a different battery, that will get me greater than 1:1. Of course 1.5:1 or 2:1 ratio would be much better. Rev 4 is already underway, but I think that I will try a pusher prop first to make sure the aerodynamics are definitely sound. Wife is away this weekend, so I should have a chance to knock out most of the airframe.

Jason
jgiannini is offline Find More Posts by jgiannini
Old Aug 04, 2005, 09:12 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
i wanna see the melennie falc on a vid, when fully detailed nice piece of kit though
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 06, 2005, 10:45 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannini
Wife is away this weekend, so I should have a chance to knock out most of the airframe.
LOL, to funny that is totally the way it is a our house. My wife hates when I spend all day working on my planes.
Good Luck on REV 4 Jason!