SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: GREATEST STAR WARS QUOTE!
"Laugh it up, fuzzball." --Han to Chewbacca 188 19.83%
"I am your father." --Vader to Luke 167 17.62%
"Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." --Ben 42 4.43%
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda to Luke 212 22.36%
"I got a bad feeling about this."--Han Solo and others 106 11.18%
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa." --Vader, after strangling Needa 51 5.38%
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee." --Leia to Han 29 3.06%
"Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!" --Han to the Falcon 125 13.19%
Other (post it in the thread) 28 2.95%
Voters: 948. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:09 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuralis
You do realize, the next step is adding some sweet LED or fiberoptic lights, right? hehe! I guess the trick is to keep the CG aligned. If I can pull it off, I'll send some pics.
If you add lights. You have to light up the engine. Would look great in flight at dusk.
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:11 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
Found someone to print the plans, and they only charged $1.47 sheet(Kinkos charges $8.50)
Thats a sweet deal. It cost me about $4.00 a sheet at the kinko's here.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:19 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrelecMP
I have two SW machines - Headhunter and customized jedi Starfighter (photos are in my gallery). http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...=69305&cat=500
Flying "Falcon" is very interesting, but polystyrol foam is very fragile for me . My fighters are from EPP foam.
Very cool ships. first time I have seen a HeadHunter built, nice. Can you give us a few specs on your ships.
Last edited by GO-RC; Jul 28, 2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:58 AM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO-RC
Very cool ships. first time I have seen a HeadHunter built, nice. Can you give us a few specs on your ships.
Headhunter:
wingspan:60 cm
lenght: 60 - 65 cm (aproximately, from crah to crash)
weight: 400 g (with acupack)
Wing is from "Direct" by "Telink" (www.telink.cz), fuselage is "hand-made" (block and plate EPP, sharp knife, Purex foam glue and great many fibreglass tape). Laser guns are from carbon stakes, plastic tubes and paper strips.

Anakin's customized Delta -7:
wingspan:50 cm
lenght: 65 cm
(aproximately)
weight: 500 g (with acupack)
Fighter is "scratchbuild". F-22 by "EPP air force" (www.sweb.cz/eppairforce) + sharp knife + great many cyanoacrylate glue + fibreglass tape = starfighter

To both fighters:

engine: "300" with gearbox
pack: 7x650mAh, NiMh, weight 100g
3ch, deltamix, 2x servo GWS Naro std ("9 g")

colors: acrylic "Agama", "Model Master", "Humbrol"
StrelecMP is offline Find More Posts by StrelecMP
Last edited by StrelecMP; Jul 29, 2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:05 AM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO-RC
If you add lights. You have to light up the engine. Would look great in flight at dusk.
I found some glow in the dark craft paint a wally world.Might have to give it a shot.
nstaller is offline Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:54 AM
Joined Jul 2005
4 Posts
This is going to be my first shot at building my own RC aircraft, but I watched my grandfather do it for years. I've got a few electronics questions though.

How long does the battery you use, last? And would I be able to wire up some LEDs to the same battery so I wouldn't have to mess with placement? Would that put too much drain on the battery, or cut the life down by a significant amount?

Thanks!
Mercuralis is offline Find More Posts by Mercuralis
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:09 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
I found some glow in the dark craft paint a wally world.Might have to give it a shot.
The paint might work but the engine part of the ship is cut out.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:21 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuralis
How long does the battery you use, last? And would I be able to wire up some LEDs to the same battery so I wouldn't have to mess with placement? Would that put too much drain on the battery, or cut the life down by a significant amount?
Thanks!
The motor battery combo I am using is giving me about 12 minute run times.
Motor: Hi-max HA2025-4200 w 4.4:1 gearing
Battery: Thunder Power 11.1v 1320 mAh lipo
I would think that a couple LEDs would'nt be a problem. Maybe someone else that has added lights could let us know what they did.
BTW I used 3M spray adhesive to glue my ship together. Spray both sides, let it dry a minute or two and connect. Worked great. Anyway have fun with the build.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:29 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
StrelecMP thanks for the ship info. Sounds like a couple of nice light ships. What kind of flight performance do you get?
Last edited by GO-RC; Jul 29, 2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2005
4 Posts
That is a very excellent question, which I will hand over to StrelecMP to answer. lol.
Mercuralis is offline Find More Posts by Mercuralis
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:13 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
heheh my bad sorry Merc
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:28 PM
..::ROBOT PLANES::..
NE UK
Joined Jul 2005
7 Posts
What voltage are your plane battteries, becaus You will fry the LEDs with too much.

I think the voltage for the lights, should be sepparate from the one for the motors, servos etc... because when the flight battery runs down, if you were flying at night, you need to find it. which would be easyer with a light.

now, introducing me: Im 15, live in the UK, Im into robots, I stumbled upon this, and got interested.
Phish_beam is offline Find More Posts by Phish_beam
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:52 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Welcome to the Ezone Phish Beam. You are correct, the 10+V we run will fry most LEDs. The solution is to use an open channel. They only run about 3 or 4 volts. You can even put them on a switch this way... You'll probably still need some small resistors though.

Some light reading
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302783
http://www.rc-cam.com/navlight.htm

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:05 PM
..::ROBOT PLANES::..
NE UK
Joined Jul 2005
7 Posts
thanks, I still maintain that a separate power supply would be better than using the main one.

you coudl use the main power, but you would need a few LEDs and resistors to make it safe, and it would drain faster.

I havent had much experience with R/C, apart from taking apart little 5 toys, and chanding them into other things, boosing power, range etc... so Im not sure how you could make them turn on when a certain condition is met. I would say that using IR proximity sensors, you could turn on landing lights when the aircraft gets close enough to the ground.
Phish_beam is offline Find More Posts by Phish_beam
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:11 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
The LEDs actually use very little energy compared to our motors. But of course, on a Millenium Falcon, you would definitely want 'lots of lights'!!! A seperate power supply would add weight though...

Come to think of it. nstaller, you could use that glow in the dark paint in the opening, and then illuminate it with a couple of infa-red (sp?) LEDs. That would definitely be cool! Like afterburners, or warp drive, or whatever...

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy