HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
MicroBipe from Dynamoelectrics.com - Build Thread

Well, here goes my first attempt at a build thread. One reason for this is that I have been interested in this little bipe ever since I first saw it on the Dynamo website, but the lack of information kept me from going further- there just isn't much about it on Ezone. A bit, but not much. From adverts, I couldn't even tell if it had ailerons, which for a bipe like this is a must, for me anyway. At any rate, I gave in at SEFF and after looking at the kit in person I had to have it. Randy, owner of Dynamo Electrics, has been very helpful as far as suggestions on the powerplant and setup. I will say at this point that my relationship w/ Dynamo is just me giving them money on a pretty frequent basis, I have had killer service from them.

I am going to start with a look at the kit, the instructions , and parts weights- Something that is very important on a model this size. I will try to caption most of the pics.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2005, 06:06 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
The weight of the parts is as follows-

Fuse 54g
Wings and tail- 84g
Parts bag- 25g

For a total of 5.8 ounces Gotta love that. I'll let it slip now that it is 10.5 ounce ready to fly, without the battery- I will try different batteries, but the 900 mah TP 3 cell weighs 2 oz or so for a total weight of 12.5 ounces, 5.5 ounces LESS than Dynamo says on the website.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:13 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
I suppose that in good review fashion I should say that everything was well packed, and it was. The kit had no damage. Time to start putting it together. I followed the instructions loosely. They are probably the best instructions I have seen in a imported kit like this- good translation and fairly detailed. I started by installing two HS-55's for Rudder and Elevator, along with the pushrods. The first thing I do is center them on the JR matchmaker. The "z" bends are already bent on one end of the rod. On models this size, my practice is a z on one end and an EZ connector on the other end- they hold great on this little wire.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:19 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Next up is motor installation. I wanted something different, and selected the new Mega 400/7/12 , also from Dynamoelectrics.com, along w/ a phoenix 10 controller. The motor is 1115kv, 10 amps max. Installation was too easy, the firewall already has holes and it fit perfectly. This motor is a gem! The hatch for the bottom of the fuse is pre-made from 1/64" ply, with catches at both ends. Very functional and looks great.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:23 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Mega Motor!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:29 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Next up was a decision- one aileron servo or two. I decided on one, which entailed the most work I had to do on the whole plane If you use two, there are precut holes with rails for mounting- if you use one you have to cut a hole and add a mount on the front. Nothing to it. I then test fit the wing, and marked / cut it for gluing to the fuse. It fit perfectly.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:33 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
This looks like a lot of work, and it would have been if not for the fact that everything fit just right- so much so in fact, that this was performed in only 2 steps with five minute epoxy. Step one- glue on bottom wing. Step two- glue in all struts and top wing, hold till dry. OK, I did trial fit everything and measure for squareness before I glued
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:40 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Landing gear slide through the bottom of the fuse and was glued w/ 5 minute epoxy. Aileron horns are thin ply, and very nicely made. Pushrods installed with a z bend on one end, and ez connector on the other. Tape hinges for ailerons- The kit provides living hinges, I prefer tape.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:44 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
The tail pieces aligned very well, so I trimmed the covering and glued them on w/ thin jet. I used tape for hinges on them also. Next up, I installed the rudder and elevstor horns and ez connectors. I just cut a slot and epoxied them on.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 06:49 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
I used a FMA M-5 receiver, with AZAAR park antenna, ran through a hole in the side of the fuse. After adding a couple of decals, it's done and balances dead on the mark with the TP 900 in the nose. It looks big in the pics, but is only 25.8 " wingspan. To this point, it took me two evenings to build, about 3 hours total. I'm using my Airtronics RD8000 radio. Will test fly tomorrow if the weather is nice!

My conclusion for the kit is that you can't go wrong. It is very well made and easy to assemble. Now if it will just fly!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 07:00 PM
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Joined Jul 2004
271 Posts
Great job on the build thread!! That plane looks like a good flyer. I checked their sight and they have some other good one's too. Thanks for the update. I had not found them before.
lafjax
lafjax is offline Find More Posts by lafjax
Old May 21, 2005, 07:09 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Thanks Lafjax. I didn't mention that it has fully symetrical airfoils. At 12 ounces, I can't wait to fly it- should be great. I am starting with a 9x4.7 prop on the little Mega with the 900 TP 3 cell pack.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2005, 08:46 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
That's a neat lil' airplane. Can't wait to see how it flies..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old May 21, 2005, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Bill,

You DA MAN!!!!

You will have a ball with this one; mine flys GREAT.

Thanks a bunch
Randy
www.dynamoelectrics.com
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 21, 2005, 10:07 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
That's a neat lil' airplane. Can't wait to see how it flies..
Come on over to Mac Hodges tomorrow, and watch it! ...

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member