SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Apr 2010
12 Posts
Here is a short clip of the one I built 2 years ago. I loved this plane. I flew it for a long time and I think I'm gonna make another one now that I came across this thread.

3dbatix extra 330s control surfaces (0 min 54 sec)
eclipso is offline Find More Posts by eclipso
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
279 Posts
This is what happens to a bipe after you rip the wings and nose off in a crash.
I just couldn't see the old girl going to the junk pile.
Laminated the wings together and extended the nose for a kinda cool looking racer.
CG looks really good, can't wait for the wind to calm down for a new maiden...
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old May 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,153 Posts
28" revival

What a sweet little plane.

Needed just a little up elevator trim and a little correction with the ailerons on first flight....then it was time to see what it could do.

My bad on not properly reinforcing the fuselage with ply and the foam wedges as per full instructions so I had a crack after the 2nd landing. I'm also running rather heavy, using a 225w 1200kv motor with a 1300mah 9x4.7 prop(orignally was going to build the 36")

Smaller batteries, SC and motor arrive today though after 6 flights I have to say I love the power it has on hand. Waterfalls are violent, and flat spins to inverted flats are beautiful with no struggle at all to keep control. Flies great slow, hovers are a bit difficult with this much power, bigger prop might do it.....just rockets vertically....

new parts should shave a little over 2 oz

Used a spare nosewheel from my t28 micro, twisted and mounted in the rudder with an exacto and a dab of epoxy, nice and steerable. Sandwhiched to 1/8 pieces of ply to the wheel pants, drilled a place to slide in an axle, and mounted the wheels using an old Cub landing gear. Now takeoffs and landings and beautiful on pavement. Rolls around and steers better than I could have imagined

I've already got foam for the 36", might take it up to 40".

Here are some pics....expect a big brother soon
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old May 07, 2012, 06:40 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
That looks really nice! I like the SFGs.

These planes are so much fun and pretty forgiving about weight too. My first 32" EPP version used lighter gear. It had an eRC 400 sized motor that weighed around 47g, a 20 amp ESC and a 2S 800 mAh pack. Since then, I have refined the 32" design even more to use a 24g Blue Wonder motor, a 10 amp ESC and a 3S 450 mAh pack. The whole setup weighs around 8 ounces.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:18 PM
aka ECAA3D
Joined Apr 2012
1,153 Posts
Thanks!!....it's my first scratchbuild.

Hopefully the next one will be a LOT cleaner. I couldn't ask for it to fly any better though....we'll see what happens when I get around to installing the new power setup.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
aka ECAA3D
Joined Apr 2012
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
That looks really nice! I like the SFGs.

These planes are so much fun and pretty forgiving about weight too. My first 32" EPP version used lighter gear. It had an eRC 400 sized motor that weighed around 47g, a 20 amp ESC and a 2S 800 mAh pack. Since then, I have refined the 32" design even more to use a 24g Blue Wonder motor, a 10 amp ESC and a 3S 450 mAh pack. The whole setup weighs around 8 ounces.
How do you like the setup you are using? Is it as floaty and controllable like most 8oz foamies?

BTW the lighter setup made all the difference in the world. Now it flies as it should, not too heavy, comes in nicely, harriers at a crawl.

I was thinking about making another 28" a 4d with the efliteVPP setup, 5g servos 400mah pack, superlight weight. Wouldn't mind a slow indoor flier since we can't seem to get winds lower than 5mph here.

The 36" is cut, just needs some paint and a dab of epoxy.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
How do you like the setup you are using? Is it as floaty and controllable like most 8oz foamies?
Oh yes. Very slow and floaty. It's my yard beater, but no matter how hard I beat on it, it keeps flying.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
foamies to the end...!
United Kingdom, England, East Susx
Joined May 2004
138 Posts
Hi all, ive built a few from 3d batix, they all fly well, i like the extra, im in the middle of buliding bosses 36" version, im doing it full fuse and airofoiled wing, ill get some pics sorted as soon as i can.

Craig
ukdalai is offline Find More Posts by ukdalai
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Subscribe
pounditracing is offline Find More Posts by pounditracing
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Came across this thread and looking to build. It will be flown outside so 6mm epp be ok? Its intended to be a trainer to get in to 3d.
Thanks
xmorphx is offline Find More Posts by xmorphx
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:30 AM
Mouth of the Midwest
Joined Mar 2003
116 Posts
Yes xmorphx
JoeRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeRC
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Jul 2004
13 Posts
Hi xmorphx,

I built two of these with 6 mm depron (both 36") and both flew amazingly well. The only issue was the fagility of depron. I have recently built another one with a combination of 6 mm and 9 mm epp and 6 mm depron. This one is also 36". Here is how i used it:
All control surfaces - 6 mm depron
Fuse - 6 mm epp
Main wing panel and side plates - 9 mm epp

Depron control surfaces are "crisper" than epp, specially in 36" size.

My setup:
Hacker clone 20-22L from HK
25 Amp ESC
Turnigy Nanotech 950
10X3.8
4X9g servos
AUW 14 oz

Yet to do flight tests but loooks good.
rajeev is offline Find More Posts by rajeev
Last edited by rajeev; Jul 11, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Jul 2004
13 Posts
Xmorphx,

To answer your question, you have not indicated the size that you want to build but i think 6mm epp will be too flimsy - specially for the wing - even for 32". I would suggest 9mm epp for the wing main panel and 6 mm epp (or depron) for ailerons and other control surfaces. Fuse can be 6 mm epp.

Cheers!
rajeev is offline Find More Posts by rajeev
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:25 PM
USA, OR, Carlton
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
I build mine with 31" wing span out of 9mm EPP for all parts. The total weight with all components except the battery is 6oz. Even 9mm EPP is not very rigid and requires some bracing to avoid tail twist.
baumerm is offline Find More Posts by baumerm
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:41 PM
USA, OR, Carlton
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Over the last few years I've built about 10 of these in a simplified version and reduced size with 31" wing span. As mentioned, they are built from 9mm EPP foam. The pictures shows an earlier one built using Gorilla glue. Later ones were built with Welders or FoamTac adhesive which is much cleaner. Also, I typically do glue hinges instead of the tape shown in these pictures.

Martin
baumerm is offline Find More Posts by baumerm