Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
thanks guys, the plane is awesome, great design by Batix, just the little things i added just made the plane a better flying machine, point of advice, keep the plane light weight, use a 500mAh 3S lipo, use a 45gram no more then 45 gram motor and light weight 6gram servos on a 10x4.7 prop and you will have a wicked plane. remember, a lighter plane will float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, a heavy plane will fall fast with speed and not allow you to learn or enjoy flying.......read this thread here on the importance of rc plane weight

i used a 500mah turnigy lipo
15amp turnigy esc
hacker Style Brushless Outrunner 20-28M from HK
6gram .10second servos from HK
no landing gear needed as it ads more weight, just make the bottom of hte plane thicker for belly landing

hope that helps all of you
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
PS: AUW on my setup is 240 grams, 8.4 ounces
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:15 PM
piscataway nj
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
WOW!!!!! 8.4ozs
t.j.0715 is offline Find More Posts by t.j.0715
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:53 PM
charge em up!
Colorado
Joined Jul 2007
780 Posts
Landing gear is for suckers..gotta hand catch em!

BTW the design is by Mickey Crawley not Batix..

I like the curves! It was awesome for Mike to allow for the plans to be free so we can start off with an awesome design and add our tweaks and flair!
Zamfir is offline Find More Posts by Zamfir
Last edited by Zamfir; Feb 09, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 08, 2010, 03:15 AM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
My 3DBatix Extra 330

RC Low passes sitting on beach chairs (2 min 59 sec)
guyst is offline Find More Posts by guyst
Old May 08, 2010, 03:20 AM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
And another...

Gaash, Rainy day - 3DBatix Extra 330 (1 min 6 sec)
guyst is offline Find More Posts by guyst
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:11 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Just started building my Extra recently...

I got some of that $ Store readiboard and started cutting my Extra the other day, did some decoration with printed graphics on 20lb printer paper, (the lightest i could find) and a glue stick to hold them on, doesnt seem to be to permanent though, we shall see if it just takes a long time to cure.

I have 3 E-Flite S-75 servos weighing in at 7.8 grams each.
will be running the only motor I own right now, a Dualsky XPower XM400ES on a stick mount, weight is 50 grams.
My Battery is a Dualsky XPower 800 Mah 2S LiPo, weight is 45 Grams.
ESC is Dualsky's XC1210BA, 12 grams.
Spektrum AR6100 rX @ 3.5 g.

Altogether equipment weight is around 5 oz. and I am hoping for a sub 10 oz. plane. we shall see, I need to go get a scale!

Edit: I forgot to mention that i extended the rudder another two inches for more authority, I like snappy rudders!
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Last edited by RightcoastRC; Oct 24, 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added info
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss248 View Post
I was able to maiden the Runt today and boy was is blowing..10-20mph and the Runtflew very good..it is as good a flyer as is big brother..5.5oz...2s 620 Xpowers and a 20mm cdrom..it was way better a flyer than I thought it was going to be. For you 330 lovers out there if you have some 3mm and some light equipment download the Runt..it was a blast.

Boss
Just wondering what the weight of your motor and LiPo packs are for the runt, I am in the process of building it, but I am worried that my gear is too heavy, I am using the Dualsky XM400ES motor weighing in at 50g, and my packs are Dualsky XP 800 Mah 2s1p weighing in at 45g, 3 servos weighing 7g each, ESC weighs 12g, and my Rx is 3.5g...

all total, my gear weighs just under 5 oz.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:25 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,263 Posts
Right! Here we go. Last night I finished up my first build of the Extra 330 using the modified plans from page 17. Very nice work on the plans, btw. Anyway, I built mine out of 9mm EPP. It's a porker, but it's also got over 300 watts of thrust to pull it around. The best part is, it bounces!

I've been flying the 3DBatix Diablo for over a year now and I love the plane. I built this Extra for a buddy of mine. You see, on Sunday he was flying a Parkmaster and I was flying my EPP Diablo. They met head on in mid-air. WHAM! Splat. The Parkmaster was destroyed and the Diablo flew again without a single repair. EPP rocks!

So anyway, here's the Extra, and one of the Diablo for comparison.

Edit: Added finished pic.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Nov 04, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:59 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,263 Posts
We maidened the black and orange Extra today. That went well. It's so overpowered, it's silly. No foamy should have that kind of power. The vertical pull is insane. I really hope it doesn't rip the screws out of the firewall. Very nice plane but crazy to fly with that much power.

Yesterday, I built one for me!

First off, I scaled the plans down to 89%. That gave me a 32" wingspan and trimmed a bit of fat off of a mostly 9mm EPP build. I used 6mm EPP for the horizontal fuse halves. It's powered by an eRC 300 1400kV motor with 10x4.7 prop and I used 2 cell, 7.4V packs ranging from 700 to 1800 mAh. With the 700s, it's very light, floaty and almost impossible to damage when flying slow and low. With the 1800s... well, I passed it around to 4 different pilots who each put a good 4-5 minute flight on it and it took 1490 mAh to recharge the pack. Very impressive flight times. This is the backyard / hover practice plane that I've always wanted.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:02 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,263 Posts
Now watch what it does in the hands of a 16 year old.

3DBatix_Extra_330.MOV (3 min 42 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Nice build! I like the Black with the orange or yellow graphics, what did you use for the graphics? and what was your AUW on the 32"?
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:27 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,263 Posts
I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet. I'll find out tomorrow at work. The graphics are Oracal vinyl. I cut the orange decals on an Ioline Classic 24" plotter at work. I did the yellow ones by hand out in the garage.

Edit: 9 oz without battery. 10.7 oz with 700 mAh pack. 11.8 oz with 1800 mAh pack.
Last edited by SD One.; Nov 08, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:46 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Just maidened mine today, my first 3d plane ever. Boy was I impressed I am still a greenhorn with less than a year flight time, and this thing is just so smooth in the air. I loved it, 11oz. in 15 mph winds and it just went right on through, even pulled off 3 blenders today, been practicing on G4.5 for months now on doing one, and now have a plane that will do them.

Best plane I have built so far, as far as handling is concerned. Built mine from 6mm EPP for my rookie tendencies, I bounced it on asphalt once today, slid the prop back into place and away she went. Couldn't have slapped the grin off my face for an hour afterwards. I have it sitting about 5 feet from me 9 hrs later, it is my new buddy.
bbjsw10 is offline Find More Posts by bbjsw10
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:45 AM
charge em up!
Colorado
Joined Jul 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
Just maidened mine today, my first 3d plane ever. Boy was I impressed I am still a greenhorn with less than a year flight time, and this thing is just so smooth in the air. I loved it, 11oz. in 15 mph winds and it just went right on through, even pulled off 3 blenders today, been practicing on G4.5 for months now on doing one, and now have a plane that will do them.

Best plane I have built so far, as far as handling is concerned. Built mine from 6mm EPP for my rookie tendencies, I bounced it on asphalt once today, slid the prop back into place and away she went. Couldn't have slapped the grin off my face for an hour afterwards. I have it sitting about 5 feet from me 9 hrs later, it is my new buddy.

I went through many of these birds learning to fly 3d...they were my bestest friend..usually quick to repair..keep it low to the ground when learning hovering..if you mess up ya just chop the throttle and let er fall..it is light so it will usually not break..love dragging the rudder around on the ground..Man, I need to build something like this again.
Zamfir is offline Find More Posts by Zamfir