Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2009, 11:11 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer on nice weather so I took the extra out last night right before sunset trying to get the least amount of wind. The weather channel was stating the winds as 10-17. Once I got out to the open field I think they where more like 15-20 gusting to 25
Anyway I launched it at 1/2 throttle and it just cruised out of my hand! No trim, no jumpyness just rock solid flight. I only flew for a few minutes, my hands where starting to get numb from the cold wind. But all and all a great flier, handles the wind with ease. Not until I got close to the ground to land did it get a little hairy. But just had to fly it down with plenty of throttle and all was good! I can't wait for some better weather to really fly this thing around

THe 11x4.7 was great, I don't feel like I overstressed the motor, but it was a short flight. Time will tell.

Oh ya, I had the rudder reversed I thought I did a good preflight? At least it was the rudder and not the elevator or ailerons, that would of been disaster

Matt
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:27 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
I think I smoked the motor, I am sure the esc is gone!The motor wires moved on me and rubbed on the motor in flight. Little did I know but it rubbed the insulation off the motor wires. Pluged the next pack in and the magic smoke erupted from the motor,esc area. I will see if it is salvageable or not

The good news is before this happened I had a great flight with a 9x6 prop. It would really get up and go. I think a 10x4.7 is going to be the sweet spot though, I just need to go get one.

Matt
Old Mar 09, 2009, 11:59 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
An update and public service announcement. Please always double check the grub screw that connects your outrunner to the motor mount. Mine came loose, let the motor spin the wires, wires rubbed on motor case and caused a short! Motor and esc are toast. So now I have a TP 2409-10 and a 18amp esc swinging a 10x4.7. We will see how this does.

Matt
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:39 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
I retired my first Extra so I could use the electronics on my new DW Foamies juka. Flew great, until I landed it in the top of a tree. Its been almost 3 weeks and it is still up there
So I put in an order for more stuff from HK and made a new extra. This one is made of 5mm cellfoam 88. AUW is 14.75 oz. I have a TP2409-18T, 25A ESC and a 1050 3C lipo turning a 10x3.8 APC. I flew a pack out tonight before sunset. Flew just as well as my DW did. I will try to get some pics soon.

Matt
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:06 PM
charge em up!
Colorado
Joined Jul 2007
780 Posts
I have built 3 and non of them have had landing gear on them :-) Ya just hand catch it or land in the grass..Heh..well this is the bird I learned to hand catch on. That took some time. It is one of the best flying foamies out there imho. I have another one waiting for gear when my current one bites it hard enough...I have one with a 10" prop and higher kv motor and one with a 12" prop on a low kv motor. 12" prop is easier to fly but torq rolls more easily but all that extra airflow over the surfaces sure is nice! It is like training wheels..
Zamfir is offline Find More Posts by Zamfir
Old May 27, 2009, 09:47 AM
wessam
Joined May 2009
2 Posts
looked for the plans on the site

the site doesnt appear to exist could someone link the plans in here ?
wessam is offline Find More Posts by wessam
Old May 29, 2009, 10:32 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
Ya they closed up shop a while ago. I have plans on my work computer, I will try to upload them on monday.

Matt
Old May 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
I just found these on the web. It looks like they are tiled for 8 1/2 x 11. Should get you started.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 05:37 AM
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2008
158 Posts
hi guys. this is my first 3d depron plane. tempted by seeing one vid of it flying n all the insane maneuver.

it is really a quick n easy build. love it very much. for a beginner in 3d foamies, i can easily test my hover n knife edge skill which i only practice in the sim before.

i've some question which i believe you guys would be happy to help me with:

1. how you guys set the motor thrust line for this plane? do i need to point the motor down n right?

2. could some body help guide me thru the right way to trim this plane for 3d?

tia
regards
kaysee
kaysee is offline Find More Posts by kaysee
Old Jun 01, 2009, 05:39 AM
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2008
158 Posts
here's my extra. i know its not as pretty.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 06:50 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
Nice looking extra!
I just mount the the motor flat on this one. Works fine. As for trimming try this link, it should get you started.
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/trim.html

Matt
Old Jun 01, 2009, 08:54 PM
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2008
158 Posts
thanx pickle72. will do just that.

btw i've read this whole thread just to get the idea, but i can find any info on control surface setup. such as the throw range, d/r, expos, mixing. can anybody share it here their setup?

thanx again.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 07:12 AM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
447 Posts
Setup is going to come down to personal skill and preference. I would start low and work your way up. D/R may help in the beginning. In the end you will most likely crank the throws to the max (its a control surface not an air brake and throw in some expo to soften it up in the middle.
MickeyMoo is online now Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Old Jun 02, 2009, 08:30 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
What Mickey said. I can't remember where I had mine but I think low rates where about 25 or 30 throw with 35ish expo and hi was like 45 throw with 60% expo. And CG I think was on the wing spar, I can't be sure but I had it so I could fly inverted hands off.

Matt
Old Jun 02, 2009, 01:25 PM
charge em up!
Colorado
Joined Jul 2007
780 Posts
control surfaces for me are as much as they will go. I started out with 75% expo and as I got better I lessened it more and more and now I am at 35% expo. When first starting out try 1/2 the throws. The plane is very forgiving to gc placement. Hands off inverted and right side up is best overall place to be. Mixing is only personal prefrence and this plane really does not need any. I have played a bit with elevator to rudder mix so flat spins are easy but just learning to do it with the sticks on the fly is better. This mix can also help with knife edge if the model is pulling one way or the other. The only mod I have made is I slightly enlarged the rudder and elevator...but I do that on most all my birds these days..It can make em really wild though. All depends on what ya like :-)
Zamfir is offline Find More Posts by Zamfir