SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2006, 11:20 PM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Updated Flight Report:

Well, I finally got the chance to fly my new 36" Extra last weekend and all I can say is WOW .........

Here are the specs:
AUW: 13.7 oz
Motor: Hacker 20-22L
Prop: GWS 10x6HD (Drilled out to 0.25")
ESC: CC-25
Lipo: TP-910-3S-PL
Servos: 4 HS-55 (Dual Aileron)
RX: Berg 4L
TX: Hitec Flash 5X
LG: Functional LG - Spoked Foam Wheels (MPI ?)

This plane is ROCK SOLID and Flew Very well. I'm not the best 3D Pilot but I had no problem hovering, Inverted flight, Knife Edge, spinning flat turns. My only concern is that this motor makes a rattle noise in flight. I thought that hacker's were quiet?
Maybe this unusual noise is due to the nose first crash I had with this same motor off
of a different plane that's now totaled...

I really expected the vertical to be alot better since i should have better than 2:1 thrust to weight ratio.. Maybe the noise is why I lack the power & vertical I expected?

Everyone has to build one of these... I started with 28", then 32" and finally the 36" really shines and I LOVE THIS PLANE!!!!
RC4_LIFE is offline Find More Posts by RC4_LIFE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2006, 11:29 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
You should ck to see if you have a bent shaft or a prop that is out of balance.

This plane is one of the best flying free plans available 4 sure!!!

Ben Rod
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old May 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Ben - good point. I think that I drilled out too big of a hole on the 10x6 prop because it really sit lays there onto of the shaft - not even close to a smooth fit. Could this be the problem? The Shaft is not bent & the motor spins feeling without any noise or issues that I can see.

RC4_LIFE
Old May 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
The prop is the problem bud. You should try an APC slo fly in a 10x4.7 on that motor. They come with spacers that will give you a perfect fit. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ben Rod
Old May 23, 2006, 06:18 PM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Ben, I was hoping that is was not the motor so this is good news. I'm using TP-910-3s so won't the 10x4.7 prop pull too many Amps? I don't want to ruin my new lipos...

RC4_LIFE
Old May 23, 2006, 08:49 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
I really don't think that will be the case. The APC sf 10x4.7 might be easier on everything. Besides that is the prop Hacker reccomends for the A20-22L.

I think you will find it will have a lot more low end power. It might not be as fast as the 10x6 but then you don't need speed to learn to 3D.

When you fly always keep throtle management on your mind and you should't have a prob with your battery. You should only need WOT in short bursts.

All in all I think you have a great package with your electronics, but when you plug a TP 1320 PL to that bad boy you will think you changed motors. It will also increase your flight times.

Ben Rodriguez
Old May 24, 2006, 09:13 AM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Ben - how can or does the bigger LIPO effect the perform? I thought Amps were Amps?
IS the 910 really limiting my Hacker? I appreciate any suggestions...

RC4_LIFE
Old May 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
The 1320 PL is a higher output battery. Someone else should chime in on this as I am no tech head. I'm more the plug and play type.

Bossman any info on this subject.

Ben Rod
Old May 24, 2006, 10:49 AM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4_LIFE
Ben - how can or does the bigger LIPO effect the perform? I thought Amps were Amps?
IS the 910 really limiting my Hacker? I appreciate any suggestions...

RC4_LIFE
Tim from www.e-foamies.com runs his 300 with a 2510 on some 1050's and had nottthing to say but good things ..I think they were DualSky 1050's

Amps are amps the smaller the packs mah the shorter the run time. Now unless you plan to full full throttle like a pylon race and go easy on the packs they may last a long time. The WORST thing you can do is drag a lipoly pack down below 3 volt per cell..it will do it for a while but it is sure death.
I say stick a pack on the plane and go have fun..set you timer on the Tx for 6-8 min. The 910's are good cells..I used 3s TP 860's in place of my 1310's and the performance was just as good
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old May 24, 2006, 12:06 PM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Boss, I'm getting around 10min or so of flight time with the 910's so I'm not complaining. Where can I get Dualsky lipo's? And once I figure out how to set the timer on my TX, I'll try it...

RC4_LIFE
Old May 24, 2006, 01:06 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4_LIFE
Boss, I'm getting around 10min or so of flight time with the 910's so I'm not complaining. Where can I get Dualsky lipo's? And once I figure out how to set the timer on my TX, I'll try it...

RC4_LIFE
There are a ton of places on the net to by lipolys from..I like to shop at toddsmodels.com. I order from so many places right now I can't remember them all..he has the lowest prices on much of his stuff and has always called me if I needed help with my order..

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old May 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Boss, I'll have to visit Toddsmodels again since it's been a while since I've got to his site...While I do liked the TP lipos, I don't care very much for the price tag....

BTW, any update on the Diablo plans I asked about earlier?

RC4_LIFE
Old May 24, 2006, 07:15 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
If this isn't a testament on how great a plane this I don't know what else we can say or do about this plane. I'm building another one but next time I'm going to use Depron so I can give it a decent paint scheme.
http://www.3dbatix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=989
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old May 24, 2006, 09:51 PM
3D Wannabe
Temple, TX
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
I might have failed to mention that the plane listed on Post #391 was made from
6mm depron.. I'm still working on getting pictures posted.. .Stay tuned....

RC4_LIFE
Old May 24, 2006, 11:07 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
I knew this was one of the best foamys out the very first time I flew it. Thank you very much 3dbatix this plane is a home run.

I bet Chip Hyde builds one himself.

I couldn't believe the paint scheems they are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing bass. If that doesn't get everyone to build this little Gem nothing will.

Ben Rodriguez