HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:03 AM
Joined Jul 2005
20 Posts
Can someone give me some direct links to some building tips?

Thanks..!

For example: Best way to get the lines on the depron,without Glue spray?
jappie911 is offline Find More Posts by jappie911
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:40 AM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
[QUOTE=Boss248]Jeff...I would make this a somewhat long answer but I busted my right index finger all up trying to start my BME 3.5 that is going in a Wildhare 84" Extra 300 LX so typing is rather difficult. Start with cutting 2 pieces if tape( blendrem works good)...what you want to do is stick the 2 pieces of tape together by overlapping the ends by about 3/32 to 1/8".Now your piece of tape is sticky on opposite sides with a 1/8th" section in the middle that will act as the hinge. It's going to take about 6 to 9 tape hinges but what you want to do is stick the bottom of the aileron with the tape with the 1/8" strip of overlap dead center of the wing and aileron then stick the stick side of the other end on the wing. the next piece of tape will go opposite by doing it to the underside of the wing then sliding the other sticky side of the tape to the top of the aileron. I do this 3 times per hinge and 3 places on the aileron. The center of the bevel on the wing must be inline with the center of the wing. It's and over under type thing..but if done properly it the best strongest and easy moving 90* hinge you ever did....I used to do it this way 35 yrs ago on control line planes that we converted to R/C. It toom me several times to get it right but when done correctly is a sweet hinge
BTW...I put my elevator servo and rudder servo about 8-9" from the back of the plane which was about all that I could go back because of wire lenth on the servos. Don't worry about it being tail heavy because with the 2510 up front and battery pack sitting at the aileron front edge it was perfect but you can move the c/g a lot and the plane will not be bothered much at all.
I may paint mine with some flames like the orange and yellow job but I will save that application for 300 EPP #2.
Below is a pic of the Extra300 Lx..a little off topic..well maybe not.

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Last edited by Boss248; Jan 20, 2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:18 AM
3D nOOb...sort of...
Roanoke, VA
Joined May 2005
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappie911
For example: Best way to get the lines on the depron,without Glue spray?
I always take the original plan and trace out a pattern (template) onto some paper. I then carefully cut it out. Great care must be used here or the important lines and features will be missaligned.

Next, I lay the template over the foam and draw the lines using a fine tip marker. I hold the template in place using a few small pieces of tape so that it does not move while drawing the lines. Remove the template and start cutting the foam.

That is what works for me. Others may have good ideas as well.

Boss - Thanks man. Glad you like it. Thanks to Tim H. the graphics were easy. I may get it ready for a maiden this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
3DNobody is offline Find More Posts by 3DNobody
Old Jan 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
I was able to maiden the Runt today and boy was is blowing..10-20mph and the Runtflew very good..it is as good a flyer as is big brother..5.5oz...2s 620 Xpowers and a 20mm cdrom..it was way better a flyer than I thought it was going to be. For you 330 lovers out there if you have some 3mm and some light equipment download the Runt..it was a blast.

Boss
Last edited by Boss248; Jan 21, 2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:00 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Hey Boss I took out the Extra #2 today and this time I put some landing gear on it. Across the field where I fly at is a bunch of warehouses with some big empty parking lots so I thought I would try out. In all of the planes I've built and flown I've never had one with landing gear. THIS IS FUN!!! It was windy here also today but I almost flew out one pack just doing a bunch of take offs and landings. It's pretty cool to not have to hand launch a plane and the Extra takes off in a couple of feet going straight up. With the winds up I would take off and do a loop, get carried away, turn back into the wind and line it up for a landing.

Tommorow the winds are supposed to be a lot lighter so I hope I can get everything trimmed out.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass3587
Hey Boss I took out the Extra #2 today and this time I put some landing gear on it. Across the field where I fly at is a bunch of warehouses with some big empty parking lots so I thought I would try out. In all of the planes I've built and flown I've never had one with landing gear. THIS IS FUN!!! It was windy here also today but I almost flew out one pack just doing a bunch of take offs and landings. It's pretty cool to not have to hand launch a plane and the Extra takes off in a couple of feet going straight up. With the winds up I would take off and do a loop, get carried away, turn back into the wind and line it up for a landing.

Tommorow the winds are supposed to be a lot lighter so I hope I can get everything trimmed out.
Ha bass..I knew you would like the plane..and landing gear has been on all my 330's but I left it off the Runt. I will have the 330 in the pics flying as soon as I crash something...I only have enough for 5 planes.. The winds were really blowing down here and there is a 90% chance of rain for Sunday but I will have to see that to beleive it..get some pics of the plane in the air of vids.

Boss
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:14 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
I'll get some done hopefully tomorrow. Were supposed to get rain also but not until after sundown. Extra #2 is a little heavier by an ounce than #1 but I think it will actually help with the wind. Going to move the battery up just a hair and see how it goes tomorrow.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:17 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I maidened the FFF 34" 330 Saturday. Finally a free plane that flies great! I can't see ever not having one of these ready to fly. I put the Esskay 400XT w/10 x 3.8 prop on it. What a blast! I've built two HL Yaks. I wish I would have found this plane first. I could have built 35-40 of the FFF 330's for the same price and been WAY happier! The wind picked up so I haven't wrung it out yet but hopefully the weather will get better this week and I can put it through it's paces. I plan to play with the CG a bit. I had it where the plans indicated and it was a bit mild and needed some up trim. THIS PLANE ROCKS!!! I did put landing gear on it when I got home. Just to keep from tearing the motor off on landings at my buddies field. I keep a patch (8x15) of tall weeds/grass for landing without gear at my field. He plans to do the same this year. You can't always catch a plane and it makes for a soft ditch area.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:32 AM
PB #2212
London, England
Joined Dec 2005
330 Posts
bass

ive been flying for the last 2 days about 10 flights in fact of my extra theres been no wind at all so ive been down the field at the end of my road flyin charging flying

i even done my first ever knife edge with i can know do knife edge passes quite nicely and will be doin some at my flying field soon

dan
3dflyindan is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyindan
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:07 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
3dflyindan is this plane amazing or what! I love it. Showed it to some of the guys at the LHS and guess what..they want to build one too before long we are going to have them all hooked.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Yeaper, this one is a must have FREE plan. From the moment I flew it for the first time I knew it was a kepper. I will always have it and one of the 540 conversions flying at all times. I don't think there is a better flying set of free plans anywhere.

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
PB #2212
London, England
Joined Dec 2005
330 Posts
i tihnk everyone is going to go crazy over it

i am also in the middle of building a mini 3dx with decals and so far i like it a lot light than the extra for one it will go on kokam 630 2cell

and it flies just like the extra it flies the

dan
3dflyindan is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyindan
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:17 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
The 28" is a really great flyer to if you have a cdrom sub 6oz.setup not doing anything...I was duely impressed.

Boss
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:21 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Boss, Ben-rod I just got back from a quick 8 minute flight in light winds (5-7 mph) on my Extra #2. CAN U SAY STOKED!!!!! Man this thing rocks! Flies better than my first extra and that plane still flies great. I mean inverted, inside-outside loops, rolls like a bat out of . What ever I asked it to do it did it great! Man I'm pumped. The best part is this one is a little heavier with the landing gear and it performed great. Forward CG, back CG it still flew great. Only thing is I need some more elevator throw. Not sure if the servo if the problem or my tx programming just not enough. It would loop but not as fast or tight as extra #1. Did a couple of touch and go's, I mean the plane would slow down to a crawl and give it some throttle and up it goes.

I think we need to post some of this over in the "Foamie" thread as these guys are missing out on a great plane. They have another great little plane over there called the "Amos Moses," but in all honesty the Extra 330 flies better. Boss I think you were looking at build that one or the bipe "Soma 3."

Ok I've calmed down a bit now I can think about doing a few little tweaks to the Extra 330. I'll talk to you guys later. Oh and Boss you mentioned about the 28" Extra for CDrom motors, I have a couple sitting around and a few more stators that need winding. I'll see about winding a 17-18 turn 26 gauge 2s lipo for an 8x4 HD prop. That might be the ticket or a 20 turn for 3s lipos.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:16 PM
United States, KS, Ingalls
Joined Feb 2004
110 Posts
Have anyone tried the hacker A20-50S with the 28 inch version yet ?
That plane at less than 6 ounces would be a blast.

I am aiming to ge the plane to do manuevers as slow as possible so it can help my skill building.Like knife edge at a walking pace.

Did ya 28 incher fly very slow ?

thanks
Bahamadude is offline Find More Posts by Bahamadude
Last edited by Bahamadude; Jan 23, 2006 at 07:25 PM.