SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:26 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
GGBSHE,

I've found that the reccommended 10x4.7 prop is nice, but for all out thrust (and especially since you have a little flutter and don't need all out speed...) the APC 11x3.8 is really awesome!

Corey

PS Nice paintjob!
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:00 PM
Spanish Fork
Joined Jan 2005
163 Posts
Corey,

Thanks! I'll order a 10x4.7 and a 11x3.8, any others.....?
ggbshe is offline Find More Posts by ggbshe
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:55 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep684@hotmail.
I have a question, i made a foam model the other day. I was wondering how you make your wings for the different planes. The way i did it was to sit down all day and with a piece of sanding paper, sand out an airfoil shape from 2cm foam. I have seen a wing baker where you bake the wing in your oven, but i am wondering if there is an easier way.

Beep.
It's very easy beep,
See "How to make the HOOT wing" in http://geocities.com/hoppyfl
Use a few ribs and 6mm foam or more ribs and 3mm foam.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 01, 2005, 10:59 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbshe
Here is my Extra. My first 3D ship!

maidened it today. need to work on the prop set up but this is what I have.

himax 2812-0850
phx 10
tp 1320 3s
12x4.7 (need to change pulls about 14amps)
auw 12.5oz

I didnt put any landing gear on. Does it make much difference? I did dork it in on one landing. cracked the foam in a couple of spots. May have been worse with landing gear, dont know. Any thoughts? I had some tail flutter when my air speed would increase (no high speed dive or anything), any one had this prob?

What props would work good with my set up?
Very good looking plane, you should have much with it.. I also run one with the 2812-850 and TP 1320 pro-lite. Pretty sure they recomend the APC 11x4.7sf. Thats the prop I use and it works great... Good luck!!!

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Nov 01, 2005, 11:55 AM
Spanish Fork
Joined Jan 2005
163 Posts
Thanks for the advice!
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:59 PM
Spanish Fork
Joined Jan 2005
163 Posts
I solved the tail flutter problem. I also had a prob not having enough elevator authority, even having quite a bit of throw. I found the .040 CF rod they suggest you use is to flexible, thus it would cause the elevator to flutter a bit. To solve the problem i placed a rod support in the middle of the control rod. It worked great!
Old Nov 02, 2005, 02:58 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
That looks good sure it will fly better now. I sloved that problem by mounting the servos as far back as I could about 10 or 11 inches from the suface and used 080 carbon rod. Getting the correct cg hasnt been a prob even with the servos that far back. You can take a look at post #117 and some of the pics show just how far back they are. Hope you have as much with yours as we have all had with ours...

Ben
Old Nov 02, 2005, 07:05 PM
Spanish Fork
Joined Jan 2005
163 Posts
I am really enjoying it! My 3D flying skills are not the best, so that gives me even more reason to fly it when ever i can!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:21 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbshe
I am really enjoying it! My 3D flying skills are not the best, so that gives me even more reason to fly it when ever i can!
You sure do have the right plane to get there with!!!

Ben
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:22 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2005
172 Posts
I built one to see what all the fuss was about and now I find myself wondering if there is any need to build anything else. This is the one that I flew for the first time on Saturday and I must say it is absolutely fantastic. Although I can't do much in the way of fancy 3D stuff I really think that this model will enable me to learn with the subsequent crashes being cheap affairs.
GT2000 is offline Find More Posts by GT2000
Last edited by GT2000; Aug 20, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 04:49 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2000
I built one to see what all the fuss was about and now I find myself wondering if there is any need to build anything else. This is the one that I flew for the first time on Saturday and I must say it is absolutely fantastic. Although I can't do much in the way of fancy 3D stuff I really think that this model will enable me to learn with the subsequent crashes being cheap affairs.

Now that is what I'm talking about, yet another satisfied customer. Man you really did a kick job on your plane bro. I love the paint job... Tell us more about what set up and how you did the grapics. Thats one of the nicest I've seen. Good job you will have tons of fun with it. You'll be 3din like nobody's bussiness before you know it with that one. After that there really isnt a free plan and most kits wont live up to it. I did do a plan bash of it and made an Edge 540 thats every bit as good. Happy flying...

Ben
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:47 PM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
Yak 54 ikarus scheme

i made a yak 54 scheme it is only half of the wing though i might finish it later

here it is
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:05 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Ok got a little dilema, my extra is still flying fine. It has a few dings and patch jobs from repeated contact with mother earth but she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I'm thinking about cutting another one out just for grins. Plus the weight is creeping up with the patch jobs. Must remember to use epoxy and gorilla glue sparingly. Oh hell it's only foam. I'm cutting another one.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:41 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
GT...man that sure is a good looking 330...and I bet that monster Hacker makes going vertical fun too...
I have built a bunch of foamies and I am always trying to find one that stacks up against the 330 but so far the only foamy that has come close is the Diablo and the Eflite Yak54 with the built up fuse.

bass...I still have my FFF 330 Zagi tape covered battle cruzier flying and it's 330 #4(I think). Ripped the gear off of it early on so there's this huge gapeing square hole where the ply plate was glued to foam. Motor has been ripped off more thime than I can count. I think the last time I weighed it it was 15+ ounces and it flys like it too but even as heavy as it is it still flys pretty darn good. I have one more cut out in grey 6mm Depron but a 3mm 330 with a bunch of carbon and 10-12 oz. AUW is possible.

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:02 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Just weighed mines and it's right at 13.8 oz. Here are some pics of the carnage. Pics are a little dark but you get the picture. I think I'll keep flying a few more weeks.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587