Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 20, 2005, 05:14 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Discussion
3D Batix Extra 330 Free plans Great plane

Hello, just have to say I've found a new favorite plane. This bird can do it all. It flies just as good as my QQ Yak but is not as fragile. The guys at 3dbatix knocked this one out of the park. Any one that builds one will back me up. I would like to see every one that's built. Please post your pics here in this thread. Mine is set up as follows:

Hacker A20-20L
3 Hitec 55
E-tec 1200 HP 3 cell
CC 25 esc
APC 10-4.7 prop
AUW is 13.5 oz

I am editing this post to show people where the plans are now as 3dbatix is no longer.

Boss was so kind as to post his revision of the plans so it was easier to cut the foam.

His post of the revised plans can be found on page 17 post # 244 THANKS BOSS!!!!

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Nov 05, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2005, 06:19 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Gggggrrreeaaaatttt plane...Gggggrrreeaaaatttt plans...Gggggrrreeaaaatttt site...Gggggrrreeaaaatttt videos...Gggggrrreeaaaatttt people...

Ohhh man that must be my overdose of sugar frosted flakes kicking in again
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old May 20, 2005, 07:47 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Thanks bro. For a minute there I thought you where Tony The Tiger. This truly is a grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaatttttt plane tho.

Ben
Old May 21, 2005, 04:50 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Come on people this is a must have plane. Lets see what you got...

Ben
Old May 21, 2005, 06:56 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
978 Posts
I downloaded the plans, which went very quickly, even with my dial-up. I'm looking for something to build when my Tribute gives up. I have Axi 2212-26, Eflight 400 outrunner, and the Himaxx 2015-4100w 6.6:1. Is Depron an absolute, or would the more common FFF suffice? Is the airframe more rigid than typical Depron foamies?
Thanks,
Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old May 21, 2005, 07:01 PM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
Hmm, If you dont bend em anymore, use depron. If you dork it in occasionally, use Epp or FF
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old May 21, 2005, 07:08 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Wasup, Im sure you could use blue core (ff) if you wanted to. Yes it is very rigid because the wing is over laped by the fuse, also the way the rudder tab locks into the elevator. I am sure any one of those motors would be fine. Its a very easy build. Good luck with it I promise you wont be disapointed with this one...

Ben
Old May 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
depron_dad
Melsele, Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
134 Posts
This is my first 3d plane, maidened it today!

Being a beginner I maidened my 3dbatix Extra today, and I didn't crash lethally! I wired her up to fly rudders and elevators and didn't use the ailerons for my first rounds, she flew nicely a bit squarely. I then mixed in some aileron with the rudder (about 30 percent). If you feel to scream at me, just do, I asked around and no one ever replied to my question on how to fly a 3D plane. after that I HOVERED, I HHOVVEERREEDD! using the 3Dbatix plan and a brushed motor set from Ikarus with a speed 300, 1:3 reduction and a 10.5x5 propeller. We lost our propeller once, high enough to recover from this unpowered dive. The legs are nice, they buffer the landing in high grass as I am not able to grab her yet. They take a beating, but that's what they are for. Trim wise, I chose all surfaces flush with their respective wing part. It worked and flew nicely.
COG used was the one indicated and 1.5 cm back, difference was that the senk rate was lower with cg a bit more backward. Slight flex in the wing, but I am using a light carbon rod, not a flat piece.

My color scheme (design by my son!)

3 cheers for the 3dbatix team!
DeeCee
deecee is offline Find More Posts by deecee
Old May 22, 2005, 03:42 PM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
wow, you managed to fly this thing with rudder only? You are either extremley lucky or extremley skilled.

In all honesty, If you are considering flying one of these, you MUST know how to use aileron in combination with the rudder! Yes we can steer them around with rudder and It makes nice flat turns but we still use the ailerons to keep the wings level.

Sorry about that, Had to come off my chest. Nice work, keep practicing and nail those aeros!
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old May 22, 2005, 03:55 PM
depron_dad
Melsele, Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
134 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!

After the firsts rounds I brought her in, to add a mix between rudder and ailerons on rudder movement only, that makes her corner more nicely.
I was more at ease to hover than I was to do a roll, cause she rolls so fast!

Yes extremely skilled luck! She's not overpowered by the Ikarus on 3s1p that is probably what saves me, less torque problems. I think I'll add some expo too to make the rudder input a bit less twitchy. This will become my ailerons trainer, but on the SU-27 XXL I flew aileron-elevon, coupled, making for lousy rolls at slower speeds, but easy flying at speed. And very good high AOA controllability.

Thanks Sarge, I'll work on it, but I needed a suitable platform to start practising and this thing flies so excitingly.

DeeCee.
Old May 22, 2005, 05:05 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Way to go dee cee, that just goes to show what a great flying plane this is. If i where you I would not mix the aileron w/rudder, as you are learning to do it wrong. The way to do it is to set low rate aileron 3/4 in. travel, high 1 1/2 in. If you have a computer radio set them at about 50% expo to slow the down around center stick. That will be good for a begginer, then you can crank in more throw. Nice job on your plane it looks good...

Ben
Old May 24, 2005, 11:19 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Hows it going D, have you got to fly it some more? Have you tried to use the ailerons?
Old May 24, 2005, 07:12 PM
Fayetteville Municipal, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
Here is mine. I am waiting on a set of landing gear from NESailplanes. They are out of stock and I had a set of 3DFoamy's on a EFlite Ultimate, but Levi won't resond to anyone right now and when I check last week he was out of stock anyway. Basically I am goign to fabricate one like the plans show and make it have wheels. NESailplanes said it would be a while before they get there's in.

I look forward to getting to fly this thing. My Hacker A20-22L should be awesome on it. It weighs 11.6 oz and as you can see I did a little beefing with carbon rods on the tail and used thriangle stock all down the fuse both top and bottom. Weight gain was nill, but strength gained is WELL worth it. My last plane was my own design and it weighed 11.5 oz and had insane vertical. The Hacker is a monster. I use a TP 1320 and MaxAmps 1550. Both weigh within 0.2oz of each other and provide equal amperage.

This is my first single aileron setup. I will see how I like it. I fly outdoors only so, I will see if the one HS-55 is up to the task. I fly hard 3D so I will see. As is it has to have landing gear of some sort as it is SUPER tail heavy. It balances at 2.25" with the TP 1320 up by the motor!!! I will end up being about 12.6-12.8oz without pack after gear and that is fine. This plane is bigger than my last one too so...

Norman Ross Jr.
Futurase is offline Find More Posts by Futurase
Old May 25, 2005, 10:10 AM
depron_dad
Melsele, Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
134 Posts
2nd flight

Still too much wind, Did some ailerons rolls and found them to be not very quick, I need to make the throws quite q bit larger to make them snappy!

I still have some rudder-aileron mix, no hovers today with the wind.

#2 needs a stronger wingspar,#1 displays a nice amount of wing flapping in wind, I need a tube for that, I am using a carbon rod at the moment. #2 has a rod too but embedded in epoxy, the wing already feels stiffer, on #1 I used UHU glue, UHU flexes too much, the wing won't break, but stiff is something else.

No crashes to report for this 5 minute hop, no special maneuvres either, these were reserved for my SU-27 XXL, I held it motionless in the air against the wind whilst inverted, took me 10 tries at 3 mistakes high but I did it.

DeeCee.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:06 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Hello Norman, thats wired how yours came out tail heavy. I put my elevator and rudder servos at the tail and with the battery just in front of the wing it balenced at 2.5 in. from the leading edge. It doesnt fly tail heavy at all. The plans say 2-2.5 so at 2.25 you will be just fine. I guarantee you will love this plane as much as I do. Nice job!!!!

D, I dont know what size spar you are using but I use 1.88 Avis Sport rods that I get from www.fancyfoam and I have no flex at all.

Ben