HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
Canterbury Monster F20 build thread

I just bought my first PSS slope plane.......AND my first EPP kit. I have experience in flying slope with pss/epp but have never built one from a brand new kit. (I have years of experience building balsa kits). My first EPP sloper (a zagi) was given to me by a friend after it had been left at his house by an out of town slope flyer who ripped all the electronics out of it, it was in sad shape but I repaired it and just love flying it. I've flown friends PSS soplers but never owned one.

Anyways....I want to know if anywone out there would be interested in a build thread on the Canterbury Sailplanes Monster F20? I looked and couldn't find any build thread on this model, other than some information posted by Steve at California Sailplanes (of which I purchased this plane from....Thanks Steve!).

I would be willing to post all the pictures of my progress and the positives and negatives found in the CS kit and the substitutions or alternate methods used to build it that vary from the plans (some of which are Steve's suggestions supplied with the kit). PLUS.....I can learn from all of your suggestions during the build......

Tell me what you think? I'd love the help.
Fourthearth is offline Find More Posts by Fourthearth
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2005, 09:56 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Of course I'd like to see it.

My own personal mods were to bury all the control horns and make the wing bolt on.

If I did one now, I'd probably add longerons to reinforce the fuse.

Steve
http://www.californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old May 20, 2005, 12:48 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,449 Posts
Use the balsa/coroplast sandwich technique on the tailfeathers along with a basswood leading edge. Make the elevator removable and mount the elevator servo on the (stab) elevator. Use some 1/8 cf rods as fuselage longerons. Make a removable TWO PIECE wing as well and use a basswood drag spar with one aileron servo per wing.
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old May 20, 2005, 03:05 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Im interested to see this, being from the home country of Canterbury Sailplanes... and also having built one of the first 40" F20's off the cutter...
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old May 20, 2005, 04:45 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
Cool....I'll start taking pics tonight...I have a box of foam (the F20) which arrived yesterday.

Carbon longerons? Do you really think the fuse needs this? I read about one guy who glued and shapped the fuse then cut it straight down the center to insert all of the radio gear and push-rods....I could put in the Carbon rod at the same time??
Old May 20, 2005, 08:15 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
It has arrived
Old May 20, 2005, 08:17 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
Dang shipping label is right on top of the picture!!
Old May 20, 2005, 08:20 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
Oh well.....
Old May 20, 2005, 08:21 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E
Use the balsa/coroplast sandwich technique on the tailfeathers along with a basswood leading edge. Make the elevator removable and mount the elevator servo on the (stab) elevator. Use some 1/8 cf rods as fuselage longerons. Make a removable TWO PIECE wing as well and use a basswood drag spar with one aileron servo per wing.
Wouldn't basswood leading edge completely remove the point of ahving an epp plane?

Wood breaks, and its in a place where its going to be hit ALOT. The biggest reason to go epp is because it doesn't break.

So what is the point?

Fourthearth: have fun with the build. I would like to second the subtrailing edge and longeron ideas.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old May 20, 2005, 08:22 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
All layed out and inspected......
Old May 20, 2005, 08:24 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
Raptor...I agree on the leading edges... I want it to bounce....

I will be doing the trailing edges...the Longerons... I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for your input!!
Old May 20, 2005, 08:27 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
This thing is big... I'm gonna love this!!!

Another view
Old May 20, 2005, 08:29 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
oops... I dumm sometimes...

Another view.
Old May 20, 2005, 08:32 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
You'll notice....No tail feathers..Of coarse I knew that going into this thing..
Old May 20, 2005, 08:37 PM
If you build it...
Joined Jul 2004
93 Posts
The fuse is in 4 pieces...Kinda different from the norm I've been told....I do like the side panels being a seperate glued on piece so shaping is easier......AND......Hiding the servo's, push rods, antenna and stuff will be real easy...