HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2005, 02:41 PM
dmb
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2005
18 Posts
Dumas 19' Racing Runabout, bow section

I have just finished the mahogany planking on my Dumas 19' Racing Runabout, and have started to sand down the hull, the manual reads like this “You will have noticed that the 1/2" wide planks , when finished sanded extend out past the edge of the bow by about 1/4". Since we are not planking the bottom of the hull this situation will naturally come up. To rectify this situation simply fair the side planking downs by sanding the mahogany planking with a sanding block until the new shape of the bow blends in. if it is done correctly, you won’t even tell where the wood planks and the plastic hull meet. “
Ok well I get most of this but it follows on, “remember the outer edge of the first mahogany strip is the outer edge of the chine and must be maintained at all times” and the illustration says “Keep Line sharp” and indicates all the way to the front of the bow.

Unfortunately I am now a bit confused, does any body have any pictures of the bow section (front and under) of the Dumas 19' Racing Runabout in about the same construction stage or even completed so i could get an idea of what it should look like.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
dmb is offline Find More Posts by dmb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2005, 04:11 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,139 Posts
Yes,...Maybe...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215695
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 19, 2005, 07:03 PM
Joined Nov 2004
9 Posts
I remember scratching my head at this point also. You can sand and bring the edge back only so far then you will need to use a polyester finish and blending putty applied to the plastic below the chine strip to even the bow. Don"t sand the edge of the bottom strip to much or you will loose the line. My camera is on the fritz or I wouls take a picture of my finished hull but it won"t show you what you need at this point. hope this helps.
K Lipskie is offline Find More Posts by K Lipskie
Old May 20, 2005, 09:08 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
If you make a really big mistake on the mahogany planking on this kit, all is not lost. The 1947 version of the 19' Racing Runabout were planked with cedar and painted white, with red trim and antifouling paint.

One reference book is:

Chris-Craft
By Jack Savage
MBI Punlishing Company
729 Prospect Avenue
P.O. Box 1
Osceola, WI 54020-0001
ISBN: 0-7603-0606-0

Page 57 has a picture of the red & white 19' Racing Runabout.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old May 20, 2005, 11:02 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
CG Bob makes a good point. Another reference book is:

Chris-Craft Boats
By Anthony Mollica, Jr. and Jack Savage
MBI Publishing Company
Galtier Plaza, Suite 200
380 Jackson Street
St. Paul, MN 55101-3885
ISBN 0-7603-0920-5

In this well-illustrated book, on page 53 there is a nice color picture of a 19-foot Racing Runabout that came 'back into the lineup for 1948.' It is stated that the first 205 produced had painted hulls because of a shortage of 'Chris-Craft grade' Philippine mahogany.

Although a Runabout model with a painted hull would be authentic and would have a different look, it would be a shame to sacrifice that beautiful mahogany appearance.

If you can, let us see how it turns out. Best of luck...

Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old May 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
dmb
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2005
18 Posts
Hi, thanks for the replies, I will spend a little time doing some research and looking at some pictures, I do not want to paint it as I want to keep the Mahogany finish
dmb is offline Find More Posts by dmb