HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2005, 11:58 PM
Salt Lake City
Joined Jul 2003
323 Posts
WaterDog,
Did you have any down/right thrust? What do you think of 1.5"-2" of dihedral instead of 3"- 3.5"? Your design is fantastic , and I would love to build one for winter flying with skis. As always thank you for sharing your talent/plan.
Regards,
Saeed
Saeed is offline Find More Posts by Saeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:28 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
giegerr- Nice RECON "STS". Like the colors and decals.

justinelliot- attach hinges the same way with packing tape. You can use ca hinges if you like. The 1320 3cell is made by Thunder Power.
I would stay with a 3cell on the brushed 350, gobs more power but you'll use it less. The 2cell will last longer but is a little weak for flying. Best option is to put a Hacker 20 outrunner, double whopper cdr, or a Lehner/350D gearbox. All brushless.

Saeed- Thanks! 1-3 degrees down, 1-3 degrees right. Depends on motor setup, less with outrunners, more with gearboxes. Love to see one on ski's!
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Oct 03, 2005, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
Landing Gear

Hi guys,

It looks like the plans call for 3/32 music wire for landing gear. Is this what you guys are using? I purchased the wire, but it feels awfully heavy!

Alan
immunosuppressor is offline Find More Posts by immunosuppressor
Old Oct 05, 2005, 07:53 PM
State College, PA
Joined Sep 2005
9 Posts
Music Wire is what kind of wire? What Gauge?

In the PDF docs, does "music wire" mean piano wire? I went into a music store tonight and they weren't sure what I need, and they were a pretty high end store. :-)

What wire gauge for the wheels works well? I found some 17 gauge and it just wasn't strong enough; I don't want to use something that is too heavy of course, but I want the plane to be able to stand up as well.

Thanks for any hints or tips.
justinelliott is offline Find More Posts by justinelliott
Old Oct 05, 2005, 09:53 PM
State College, PA
Joined Apr 2005
40 Posts
I checked the label of the wire I used that I got at the local hobby store. It says it's .078"
I'd say it's about as light weight as you can use and still support the plane well without additional bracing.
vortex2001 is offline Find More Posts by vortex2001
Old Oct 05, 2005, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinelliott
In the PDF docs, does "music wire" mean piano wire? I went into a music store tonight and they weren't sure what I need, and they were a pretty high end store. :-)

What wire gauge for the wheels works well? I found some 17 gauge and it just wasn't strong enough; I don't want to use something that is too heavy of course, but I want the plane to be able to stand up as well.

Music/piano wire was a mystery to the music stores in my neck of the woods too. Probably because most stores don't provided maintence of that sort any more. I found I ended up going to Tower and doing a search, and found that they carry an assortment of wire mfg by KS. It comes bundled, usually in 36" lengths and various gauges. I forget exactly the gauge I used for my gear on the STC. Unless someone else gives you a good size to use, I'd just go with the recommended one. Another way to go is to use some of the "prefabbed" gear, from something like the Aerobird or Firebird XL series by Hobbyzone. It comes with wheels, but they are pretty cheap. I found that if you remove them, and add some 2" dubro super light wheels you get a good setup that works. The Aerobird gear is available at most LHS for about 5 bucks and the dubro wheels are another 5. I used this on my first STC. Hope this helps....
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Oct 05, 2005, 10:03 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinelliott

I don't think it's the same thing as piano wire. It is a really hard and brittle, high carbon steel, available at almost any hobby shop and it's fairly cheap.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Oct 06, 2005, 12:05 AM
Souderton Pa.
Joined Dec 2004
695 Posts
Thanks to the STC I'm still in the hobby, but that's another story.

Ok just a quick question. The answer may not be but the question is.

What is the performance difference between the 1047 and the 9070 prop. I flew both today and really didn't see to much difference usin my GWS 350 with a D box. I will give ya this the 1047 did fly with less throttle. Both flights went over 20 minutes before I brought em down. The motor was just a tad warmer with the 1047 and so was the battery pack but we are talkin minimum difference here.

Should one prop give me longer flight times than the other? How about motor life? What are the performance differences in these props on my motor?

Thanks for the help

thumbs
thumbs1 is offline Find More Posts by thumbs1
Old Oct 06, 2005, 12:27 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
I don't use the gws motors but generally speaking the 10x4.7 is going to have more torque and the 9x7 is going to have more speed. I was thinking the gws 350 with D gearing was best suited to a 12x6 or 12x8 but like I said, I don't use them so someone else could better answer that question, but it would also depend on how many cells you are using. How many cells are you running on? Anyway, a larger prop with less pitch is better suited for lugging power and a smaller, higher pitched prop is better suited for speed. There probably isn't very much difference in current draw between the two as you have already noticed. Hope that helps
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Oct 07, 2005, 10:54 AM
State College, PA
Joined Apr 2005
40 Posts
With a 350C-D I found 1080 works well, but a 350C-C with a 8amp ESC can't handle the 1080 and the 1047 works better.
I have a 350C-C & 1047 on my magpie and slowstick and a 350C-D with a 1080 on the STS. I use the 8amp GWS ESC with heat sink and everything stays pretty cool. Battery can be warm depending on how much full throttle was used. GWS has charts that show you amps, thrust, etc for each motor/prop/battery combo you should check those. Some sites that sell the motors have links to the "details".
vortex2001 is offline Find More Posts by vortex2001
Old Oct 07, 2005, 01:17 PM
Souderton Pa.
Joined Dec 2004
695 Posts
I'm using 2cell Lipos 1500's.

It was just something I was thinkin about. Just wondered if there were a "magical" combo.

thumbs
thumbs1 is offline Find More Posts by thumbs1
Old Oct 08, 2005, 09:13 AM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
Hey Im just getting back into building now that my wife is 8.5 pregnant, but any how..I built a STS full Fuse A/E/T with some wally wings. Still adding some finishing touches but Sunday weather permitting is the madien..
Basil is offline Find More Posts by Basil
Old Oct 09, 2005, 07:32 AM
Just checking gravity...
Farmington, MI, USA
Joined Jun 2005
462 Posts
Just flew my STS Just too cool!!!

Well actually i tryed flying it yesterday but the wind was way too hard so i crashed it, took me only few hours to rapair, so its ok. Today i woke up at 7 am (befor the wind) and went to my schools footboll field. It flew really well, although my CG was way back and the plane went to hover if i dont give down elevator it still flew very well. I moved the battery forward to get a good CG and the plane was just awesome, even though i crashed it really bad (messed up on control, panict, at the very last moment gave full up elevator and the wing snapped in half) I am still very happy . Cant wait to start on the new one, i dont want to repair it because i could have done a little better job on it.

Thankyou very much waterdog for such an awesome airplane, (cant wait to finish this one to start on the "nasty" also )

Also to paint the plane, do i need to take the skin off or no? what paint is better, cheaper and easyer to get? or should i just use markers?

thankyou
crazy pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy pilot
Old Oct 09, 2005, 10:01 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Basil-Congratulations! Let us know how they both come out, er fly, uh, you know what I mean..

crazy pilot- Thats great! Repair it anyway and use it for a barnstormer. Leave the skin on and use markers, testors paint or Krypon H2O.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Oct 09, 2005, 05:00 PM
Just checking gravity...
Farmington, MI, USA
Joined Jun 2005
462 Posts
i dont really want to repair it because i only have 1 set of electronics, that i will be switching from plane to plane.

Anyway my goal for the second plane way-take your time and make it nice and neat. So it took me 7 hours!!! talk about the fast build

Anyway the bad news are the I already managed to crash it...Stupidest mistake ever! Elevator servo reversed..and the wost part it not the fist plane crashing like that anyway im not even gonna go in details.
Anyway im used to that, never had i plane i could just fly, my longest flight ever was maybe 2 minutes, and in hundreds hours of building i got maybe 20 minutes of air time (total from all airplanes). So my point is thats thats not a big deal.

But then the good thing is that its pretty easy to fix, ill do it tommrow, and will take 5 minutes to make sure my servos arent reversed lol

thanks again waterdog
crazy pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy pilot