HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2005, 08:35 AM
Colorado, United States
Joined Nov 2002
253 Posts
Friday Flying in the Greater LA Area

Headed out to Pasadena today and I'm dragging along my Miraj. How does the flying look for tomorrow? I'll have a car and all day, so I'd like to check out some of that sweet SoCal lift (and endless landing zones full of lush green grass )
Any help you could give a Colorado yokel would be much appreciated
Cheers,
Curt
seaotter is offline Find More Posts by seaotter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2005, 10:47 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,847 Posts
Curt-
Drag Aerobat152A out of his house and down to Fermin.
Too bad I am going to Davenport to work the MoM race, or I'd definitely fly with you.
Good Luck!
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 19, 2005, 11:25 AM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,436 Posts
The Drive to Fermin in friday traffic will be slow and painful. I suggest you go to Vincent. From passadena you can take the 2, Angelest Crest highway, To Angeles Forest and it will spit you out right to the dirt road road leading up to Vincent. Just look for the sign that says Vincent View about a mile before you hit the 14 freeway. You'll have much better flying and landing zone there then anywhere else. Any car can make it up to the radio antennas. Just have to walk the rest if you don't have 4x4.

http://www.sloperacing.com/sites/vincent.htm
Z06kal is online now Find More Posts by Z06kal
Old May 19, 2005, 12:08 PM
Colorado, United States
Joined Nov 2002
253 Posts
Thanks guys!
I've always wanted to fly Fermin, but Vincent might be the better choice as far as my blood pressure goes.
I'm out the door to the airport right now, but will check out weather in the morning and go from there. Hope to meet some of you wherever I end up.
Cheers,
Curt
Old May 19, 2005, 12:11 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Dont know what a Miraj is, sounds like one of those sperminator lookin things.... I've always heard about a flying place in Pasadena, I think at a College or something. You might wanna look into it Seaotter.

Hope ya find some decent air!!
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old May 19, 2005, 03:18 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,847 Posts
[QUOTE=Z06kal]The Drive to Fermin in friday traffic will be slow and painful.

Not if you leave pasadena mid to late morning. No 4x4 required. The MiraJ will love the smooth lift, and the landing should be a non event with crow. Make sure to have a local show you the landing line, though.
I think there was an explaination with arrows in an older Fermin post.
Where ever you end up, Curt, have a good time.

Target
Old May 19, 2005, 03:27 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,436 Posts
Hah well based on the carnage of the last Fermin F3F event, I'm not sure I would call landing at Fermin a non event. THe lift band of Fermin can't be compared to Vincent. Fermin is a great place, with awesome sceneary and what not, but it takes raw mountain volume and height to make a big lift band such as you find at Vincent or Grass.
Z06kal is online now Find More Posts by Z06kal
Old May 19, 2005, 03:44 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06kal
Hah well based on the carnage of the last Fermin F3F event, I'm not sure I would call landing at Fermin a non event. THe lift band of Fermin can't be compared to Vincent. Fermin is a great place, with awesome sceneary and what not, but it takes raw mountain volume and height to make a big lift band such as you find at Vincent or Grass.

Hi, Kal-
I would hardly call 40 knots at Fermin during the race that month normal....
the average is 15-20, sometimes less, occasionally more....
Most of the carnage was due to over-zealous racing thumbs reaching for sub-forty(in some cases sub 36) second times.
Heck, even I managed a 44 second run with my 2 meter beater.

Fermin and all other coastal sites rarely gets effected by thermals, which can cause inconsistancies at inland slopes...
Vincent and Parker have the DS thing going for them, and can be flown in two(or more?) wind directions...
But, I seem to remember even your light Destiny came away from that day unscathed(?)....
The landing at Fermin is more bark than bite. The wind has been very consistant lately there, although sometimes lighter than we'd like for heavier PSSer's.

Have fun Curt!

T
Old May 19, 2005, 10:53 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter
Thanks guys!
I've always wanted to fly Fermin, but Vincent might be the better choice as far as my blood pressure goes.
I'm out the door to the airport right now, but will check out weather in the morning and go from there. Hope to meet some of you wherever I end up.
Cheers,
Curt
Not sure if you'll catch this before tomorrow, but...

If you wanna fly Fermin then that's what you should do. The landing zone is not as bad as people say...in fact it's much easier then it appears. You have drive up access too. As far as the drive, that is all gonna depend on the time of day. Though it's no picnic, it's a one freeway affair with no dirt roads to travel...you mentioned a rental car I think? Plan to get out there a bit early and just enjoy the park area...maybe bring a lunch or something. Wind has been good here lately. Typically it gets good around 3:00 or so, but may well be flyable much earlier. Not sure what my exact plans are, but I'm gonna try to get out there around 3:00-3:30 to continue tweaking the set up on this one...so if you see it, you know who I am! At any rate, the choice is most certainly yours. Have fun!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old May 19, 2005, 11:26 PM
Colorado, United States
Joined Nov 2002
253 Posts
Thanks guys!

Still undecided...Vincent sounds more like the slermal flying I'm used to and I'd love to take a few (yeah, right, probably more like one) DS laps. But Fermin would be a blast and I'd get to see that sweet Me262 of InThe Lift's in person.
Well, if you see someone with a purple/yellow Miraj looking lost at either spot, take pity on me and show me where to land
Old May 20, 2005, 12:20 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
FORGET vincent tomorrow... if you come up here, hit PARKER... will be due west, straight in

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old May 20, 2005, 10:50 AM
Colorado, United States
Joined Nov 2002
253 Posts
Thanks JOe,
Looks like Fermin/Whitepoint this afternoon, and maybe Parker or Vincent tomorrow.
Can't wait.
Curt
Old May 20, 2005, 10:16 PM
Pacifica, CA
Joined Jun 2004
424 Posts
Curt-

I just flew two new spots in Frisco! What a blast, I'll have to throw rocks at Fermin when I get back...
Report on how you like fermin and WP when you can.....
Target

Opps, forgot to log in as "Target"....
Doh!
Harry S. is offline Find More Posts by Harry S.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:22 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S.
Curt-

I just flew two new spots in Frisco! What a blast, I'll have to throw rocks at Fermin when I get back...
Report on how you like fermin and WP when you can.....
Target

Opps, forgot to log in as "Target"....
Doh!
Well kiss my...
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old May 20, 2005, 10:38 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Target doin the Man On Man in San Francisco this weekend.......... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A