HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2005, 10:09 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Build Log
B-36...6 Turning and 4 burning..112" Span

Well I went and done it...I started on a Convair B-36 with a 112 inch wingspan..Totally scratch built, mostly foam, 6 GWS 350C-C gear drives and hopefully 9X7 3 blade props...
I have not posted a build thread for some time as I seem to have a habitof starting a project, getting about 1/2 way done and then gettingsidetracked onto something else...I hope notto do that this time...
Am I in over my head with a project of this size...Probably so...
Have I been in over my head before.....Yes....
If I get into trouble, can I ask for some help from you guys...I hope so......
I hope you enjoy the effort...I can't wait to get to the painting and finishing of this classic bomber...

Well, Here goes...
I am posting a few photos of work progress so far...Thanks for looking in...

1. Head on view of the foam fuselage...6" diameter, 84" long..
The fuse was hotwired from 2 3 1/2" blocks of white foam, and then
hollowed out with the hot wire leaving a 1/2" wall thickness...
The fuselage was cut from 3 blocks and glued together..

2 The jig for cutting the wing saddle made from 1/8" Masonite and
attached to a 6" wide piece of 3/4" lumber..

3 The wing saddle area sheeted with 1/16 balsa..Attached with Super 77
spray adhesive..Note the hollow out fall from the initial cutting of the
fuselage...I laid the foam fuse core back in it for support while sheeting
fuselage.. This guarantees allignment by holding the foam straight...

4 The partially finished horiz stab and fin sitting on the fuselage...Still
needs leading edges and trailing edges...That will come later...
JerryHall is online now Find More Posts by JerryHall
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
The last pic didn't post...Try again...
Old May 18, 2005, 11:26 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,089 Posts
Man, this is gonna be good!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 18, 2005, 11:41 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
The B-36 was on my "list" as well. I'm glad to see someone is beating me to it. That's going to look fantastic.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old May 19, 2005, 12:21 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
895 Posts
Hi Jerry, they make great flyers. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. Good luck - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old May 19, 2005, 01:25 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Go for it Jerry! 6 props are going to sound fantastic.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old May 19, 2005, 02:00 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang1
Hi Jerry, they make great flyers. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. Good luck - John.
And here's a picture of John.

Go for it Jerry! I'll be watching closely. BTW, I have Johns plan but haven't even thought of starting this plane yet.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old May 19, 2005, 02:02 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
My father worked on these behemoths back in the 50's.
This is one of my favorite pics.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old May 19, 2005, 03:21 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,390 Posts
Better find a copy of "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart and June Alyson. Lots of B 36s in that movie.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old May 19, 2005, 06:29 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,819 Posts
Wow, what a monster! Cool project. I remember seeing the one in the mag and thinking it was about the biggest electric undertaking I had seen....

Cool ! Now you need a scale tactical Nuke to drop!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 19, 2005, 09:49 AM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Just checking in this AM...
With a support group like you guys I should be guranteed of success...
John M, Steve, Perry, Mark R, good to hear from you again...
Martin, Boomerang1 (John), Kiwi... Hi.. nice to meet you...
The photos of the completed model by John set the bar pretty high...Beautiful model..
I do have a couple of questions for you John..
What motors did you use... and what weight did the B-36 come in at ???
I am trying to decide whether to wire the motors individually (parallel) or in series...
There are advantages to both, but the thing that scares me about the series setup is that if I loose one motor on one wing, I loose the other 2 at the same time...
whereas parallel requires more wire ( weight).. Perry, you might have some ideas on this too ( Mars project)..
I hope you don't mind the questions, as I am in new territory on this one.....
Thanks for your time and consideration...

Perry, I hope you are feeling better.. I have missed seeing you on the board for some time now...
Kiwi.. "Strategic Air Command"... My all time favorite movie...I saw it on the big screen while still in high school in the late 50s...Good grief...that was 50 years ago..I still have vivid memories of the B-36s operating in our area in those days..The sound of those 6- R4360s will make the hair stand up on your neck...I still remember seeing KB-50s and KC-97s refueling B-36s overhead...Quite a sight for a young farm kid...
Mark...Now that you mention it, I can think of a couple of targets for the model "nuke".. LOL
Well, I had better get down to the shop and get something done on the Peacemaker this morning...
See ya'all later...
Jerry
Old May 19, 2005, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,753 Posts
Great project, should fly scale-like and be stable. I remember as a kid in Milwaukee seeing a tiny silver cross glinting in the clear blue sky and hearing the low pitched throb of the big engines and huge pusher props. As I was looking at your great foam cutting. I was wondering why we don't use aluminum or other light tubing for the foreward part of these kind of tubular fuselages.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 19, 2005, 04:06 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Jerry,

What a fantastic project! Here's wishing you the best in building and flying it!

I too remember seeing these flying over our place, down in a deep isolated valley in the Oregon Coast Range. Because of the topography, you couldn't see them until they were almost overhead, but you could hear that distinctive vibrating drone long before they appeared in sight. The sound would make the windows in the old farmhouse vibrate long before the planes appeared, especially if there were several in the flight. Usually there were anywhere from two to six flying in formation, but occasionally a single one would pass over.

I have never heard another aircraft that made that kind of sound, I could always tell by the sound that it was going to be one or several B-36's coming over.

A majestic aircraft to see in the air too. Your model should be the same.

Happy Building!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old May 19, 2005, 05:14 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
I never gave the aluminum tubing a thought before...A pieceof 6 inch irrigation pipe couldn't weigh that much...Sure would be soemthing to check into...

AmpAce.. Thanks for the vote of confidence and well wishes...I need all I can get..Yes, those werethe days weren't they... We had a local boy come out of WW II and went into SAC in the 50s.. One evening about sundown he was coming back from a practice mission, headed for his home base in Rapid City, SD... What an opportunity to buzz the old home town, eh ?? He came right over out house on the edge of town literally not much over 100-150 feet...
I will never forget the slight smile on the face of the bomberdier looking down through the plexiglass nose and those neat RayBan sunglasses he had on...That was the first time ( at about age 13) that I realized that airplanes had rivets, because there were thousands of them to look at.. The B-36 wore a big "buzz number" on the side and it was reported that when he arrived at Ellsworth, the plane was stopped at the taxiway, the crew was deplaned, and another crew finished the taxi in to the ramp...I understand a considerable amount of disciplinary action was taken on the crew...I am sorry he got into trouble, but wish to thank him for the greatest memory a kid, now 63, could have...
I got a bit more done today so will post a photo or two...
I joined the horiz stab halves with epoxy and then added spars ( 1/8 inch liteply) by placing the joined stab over the table saw and rolling the blade up through assembly...I then made two spars out of liteply with a 10 inch radius to match the saw cut and glued them in with elmers glue by inserting them up from the bottom..
Old May 19, 2005, 05:24 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
I used blue foam for the curved portion of the fin strake...I secured it with odorless CA ( first time I used it, Great stuff), and shaped it to suit...I then gave it a layer of 3/4 oz fiberglass and a coat of water base polyurethane.. I plan to use foil for a finish, and will need to give it a couple more coats for a hard base

Also go a bit done on the center section which will be eventually glued to the fuselage...1/8 inch Liteply with holes bored to accept tubing for the round wing spars..The front is 1 inch aluminum salvaged from an old lawn chair and a perfect fit for 1 inch wood dowels...the other is 3/4 inch gray pvc electrical conduit, which accepts 5/8 inch dowel... These dowels will be cemented into the wing and provide a sliding detachable wing...