HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you buy a PHX-Link if Mac OS X software were available?
Yes I would. Thank you Patrick and Castle Creations! 20 57.14%
Yes I would, and so would my Mac-using R/C buds. 15 42.86%
Another email virus ate my XP system again. So yeah, I'll try it too. 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
Wheaton, IL
Joined Nov 2004
193 Posts
Mac OS X and PHX-Link software vote

Apple just introduced their best, most advanced operating system yet, Mac OS 10.4, also called Tiger. So let's have a poll.

If you haven't kept up on Macs in the last few years, the OS is now open source BSD UNIX - industrial strength with zero (0) viruses, spyware or adware. No downtime - It's good stuff.

As my collection of Phoenix ESCs grows, I really wish I had PHX-Link software for Mac OS X. Driving to my LHS to program or update a Phoenix gets old and stick programming just doesn't cut it anymore.

I met most of the Castle Creations folks at the Toledo show, and I know some of them would like to do this port. They even know Mac developers who have volunteered to do the work - it just needs a little push now.

Here's your chance to vote on porting the PHX-Link S/W to the Mac!
LRHann is offline Find More Posts by LRHann
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2005, 02:10 PM
Guernsey - UK Channel Islands
Joined Aug 2003
461 Posts
I am a big Mac fan, but just what is the software you are talking about.

Tiger rocks and the Longhorn is out with the sheep!!
VincentC is offline Find More Posts by VincentC
Old May 19, 2005, 02:23 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,664 Posts
Not nuch of a poll since all of the possible choices are basically the same thing.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 19, 2005, 02:37 PM
Wheaton, IL
Joined Nov 2004
193 Posts
Vincent - the software is used on your computer to update the firmware on a Castle Creations Phoenix speed controller. Go to http://www.castlecreations.com/ and click on downloads. It's currently offered only for Windows.

Mike - Yeah, I thought it would be more humorous that way. I know the majority of R/C flyers use Win PCs - what I'm hoping to demonstrate is the level of interest in a Mac OS X port of the CC software. Most of my R/C buds also use Macs.

LRHann
LRHann is offline Find More Posts by LRHann
Old May 19, 2005, 03:24 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I've voted - although I actually already have one, & use Virtual PC running windoze 2000....it's not pretty but it works.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old May 19, 2005, 04:57 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
It would be nice but there are a very long list of things I would like CC to address (governor software) before they start working on a Mac Link.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 19, 2005, 07:08 PM
myk
Lake Sawyer, Washington
Joined Jul 2003
1,100 Posts
Almost everyone that I know that owns an Apple has a PC lurking somewhere in there possesions. If not you can usually get one for free anyways. Not the answer you were probably looking for, but I agree they could better spend their time working on more important issues...

Mike
myk is offline Find More Posts by myk
Old May 20, 2005, 12:54 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Nov 2001
112 Posts
Mac OS X and PHX-Link software vote

I would love to have a copy of the simulator for Mac OS 10. Just let me know the price and the way to order it.
blswinney7 is offline Find More Posts by blswinney7
Old May 20, 2005, 12:33 PM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
473 Posts
CC does not need to waste time on 2nd tier O/S support. Spend the RD on Windows related products that almost all uses use. Macs make nice word processors.

See the new poll I posted.
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old May 20, 2005, 01:44 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I already have a Phx-link which works with some irritating quirks on the one Windoze box in the house. (Win98SE).

I do NOT plan on buying another Windoze machine. Instead, the Mac population in the house is increasing (currently two). I would LOVE to see Phx-link on OSX or at the very least updated and verified to work smoothly on Virtual PC 7.

Since I have no helis, this is higher priority for me than the governor issues..... but I know that's been ongoing for awhile.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old May 21, 2005, 03:48 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
I'm nearly dying for it!

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old May 21, 2005, 02:00 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
I run Mac, FreeBSD and Linux on three of my four computers. Any of those three would make me happy. I am currently running a fourth box on occasion because it's the only way I can operate the phoenix link. For quite a long time I refused to get the setup because it only runs (and poorly I might add) on MS. I have an ancient, wheezing win98 box.

Why a separate computer? Why not dual boot? Because MS is so unsafe on the network, it's easier to just keep an unplugged box around for a case like this. I plug it in only to download updates. Besides, I have a four-port KVM.

So yeah, it would be nice. But at the same time, CC is addressing a fairly small market as it is, probably doesn't have the resources _or_ know-how, and probably doesn't understand the value of opening up their protocol and just letting someone else make the port (which would probably get them on Mac, BSD and Linux rather than just one system). Goodness, someone might find out how to do a USB storage transfer!

Incidentally, I have no plans to buy Tiger, certainly not for some time if at all. Technically it has been quite buggy and insecure, and offers very little over Panther. Then there's the cost.

Dave North
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old May 21, 2005, 03:22 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
I've run MS products since OS 2. I have never had a virus. ANyone who runs a system without Anti Virus software is nothing more than target and should expect to be infected as soon as they go online.

Anyone who runs Anti Virus software and keeps it up to date should excpect to never get one. BTW, a MAC does NOT make you immune. See the Symantec SARC website if you think it does.

90% of the world uses and relies on MS products, and that is why software is written speciffically for it. I don't see that changing anytime soon (i.e. The next 20 years or so.).
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old May 21, 2005, 05:36 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Where is the "no" vote option ???
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old May 22, 2005, 03:33 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Shark,

How sure are you about that never had a virus thang? There might be a surprise lurking for you...

When I was gamma testing WinServer2003, it was 'owned' already before the IE could get to WindowsUpdate to get patches ... by my timing, in under 8 seconds from first net exposure (best I recall).

Pretty cool, huh? And yes, that was the flagship full professional server release, not your daddy's Windows.

Dave North
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis