HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2005, 05:57 PM
Joined Apr 2005
41 Posts
Tugboat Bumpers - Materials

I want to install realistic front bumper on my tugboat (either rope or rubber bars) as on Navy Harbor Tugs. I tried to cut / paint foam rubber but it acted like a sponge and became very heavy when wet. I want to stay light yet realistic. Ideas?
THEREDBOATTOO is offline Find More Posts by THEREDBOATTOO
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2005, 07:25 PM
McAlester, OK
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Here's some ideas from a couple months ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343411
ol'guy is offline Find More Posts by ol'guy
Old May 19, 2005, 10:57 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
Buy some small diameter rubber hose from an auto parts store. I used windshield washer hose for the simple bow fender on USCGC ILLINI. You can use small chain or string to attach the fenders to the hull. On the HELEN MORAN, I used brass chain.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old May 19, 2005, 10:59 AM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
I again used windshield washer hose and brass chain on the tug YOOPER. YOOPER was built from the Freedom Song Boatworks kit of the tug PRESTON.
Old May 19, 2005, 02:06 PM
"Old 8140"
Arizona Via NH
Joined Mar 2005
279 Posts
Tug bumper and fenders

I used some fuel tube left in my box from my racing days and wrapped it with hemp string and CA helped to hold it in place.
Old 8140 is offline Find More Posts by Old 8140
Old May 19, 2005, 03:27 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
On the HELEN MORAN and YOOPER, the chain is attached to eyes superglued to the hull. I cut some links of chain in half to form a "U". I drilled some holes in the hull to match the legs of the "U". Then I CA'ed the chain half links into the holes in the hull. Paint the links the hull color. Attach the fenders by threading a length of chain thru the hose. At the bitter end of the chain, carefully open the last link to attach it to the hull eye. After attaching the chain to the hull, I carefully closed the link with some needle nose pliers. Pull the fender around the bow, center it as needed. I used some masking tape to temporarily hold the fender in place while I make the second chain to hull connection.
Old May 24, 2005, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2005
41 Posts
Thanks for inputs - Final Product

Thanks for ALL of the helpful inputs.. I combined many of them and sort of structured my effort afrer a bumper that I saw on a Tug boat while fishing out of Tacoma Washington. It is attached to the hull wiith chain. Hope the picture below makes it..
THEREDBOATTOO is offline Find More Posts by THEREDBOATTOO
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
Sugar Land, Texas
Joined May 2006
4 Posts
Tug Bow Fenders

Any help or opinion will be appreciated.
Which should I go with? THis is obviously the Carole Moran kit, but I am making a few changes and will end up call it the ficticious "Sabine Leader".
gulfcoastie is offline Find More Posts by gulfcoastie
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,655 Posts
Decide on the year you are repesenting. Rope for older style, tires for more modern.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
Sugar Land, Texas
Joined May 2006
4 Posts
I know I need to "date" the tug. However, I am still a little undecided. Post WWII or right before? I think I'm leaning more to 1946-1950 or so. I can add radar and a few other things not seen on tugs prior to the war. I really enjoy the detailing!
gulfcoastie is offline Find More Posts by gulfcoastie
Last edited by gulfcoastie; Jun 19, 2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:03 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
896 Posts
Make friends with your RC Monster truck folks and have them give you their worn out tires. This is a almost unending supply due to high usage, cut them to fit the bow and stern areas, attach as above. can fill the inner area with that white soft packing for a bit more give in the push strength.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:19 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Hey Gulf

Since the Carol Moran series were built in the 1949-1952 era - it is after WWII

Allot to these tugs used the rope bow and stern bumpers (pudding) into the late 1930's - Tires weren't that big or wide until the end of the 1930's (after you got past the Model B Fords. The Carol Moran made it to 1990 when she was destroyed by a fire and sunk for a fish condo. The rest of here class made into the 2000's and have been replaced with more modern power. I beleive that most have been scraped at this point - The bigger towing companies have a tendency to scrap than sell as second hand. So you got youself about 50 years to pick a point in for your tug.

Now for method:
Bow bumpers for 1/87 -1/72 I use old worn large loop terrycloth washrags white perfered. I make a 2 - 2 1/2 inch square cut it in half then roll with line in the middle with a little white glue inside, I then install ring bolts on the deck and the hull to attach the lines to. The lower part of the bumper, I cut the loops and try to shread the terry cloth to get that rope effect. More recently, I have painted the bumper with water colors tan, a brown and some gray then put the model in the water so that the all wash together. The gray gives that dirty oil look that the bumper seem to aquire. The picture attached was taken in 2003 before water colors became part of modeling.

Hope this helps,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Last edited by rlboats2003; Jun 20, 2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Pat Made a valid point about tires
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:57 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
Tires- I read apiece from a 1942 "Motor Boating" article where Bill Atkins was discussing his plans for a small yard tug... he noted that he was STILL seeing tires on tugs in the harbor, and isn't it time those operators turned in their tires to the war materials effort? Bundled staves would work just fine, he said...

PM
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:55 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I was just looking on the Harbor Models website,they have both premade bumpers and material to make your own.Quite a selection. Check it out.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:25 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slocum
I was just looking on the Harbor Models website,they have both premade bumpers and material to make your own.Quite a selection. Check it out.

I just ordered 2 ea of the "Rubber Gunwhale Fender" (half-round material in 3/8" and 1/2") . Should be here Friday. I will let ya know how they turn out.

Robert
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash