Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 24, 2001, 06:51 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
401 Posts
Chuck's Wing Thing question

Has anybody flown a WingThing using the GWS Motor/prop/gearbox unit?
If so, which prop/gear ratio worked for you?
What battery was used?
I think I have gone the wrong way on my own and want some guidance back to the straight and narrow!

Thanks,

Clive.
Clive Henry Jones is offline Find More Posts by Clive Henry Jones
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2001, 09:33 PM
Marietta, GA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
168 Posts
whats a wing thing?...i once designed and sent plans to EAM called the wing thing...but were turned town becuase they were hand drawn...i just wanna make sure its not my plane re done...hehe...u have a pic?
will62085 is offline Find More Posts by will62085
Old May 25, 2001, 01:17 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
401 Posts
Yes I have a pic., but it's in the old "light sensitive emulsion" format (i.e. not digital) and is still on the roll awaiting developing.
The Wing Thing is Arizona Chuck's development of a built up "Baby Zagi". You should be able to do a search on this discussion forum to uncover images of it.
Quick and simple to build, it is a cheap introduction into slo-fli.
Unfortunately, as you see, I am having trouble getting it airborne succesfully, hence my original post.

Clive.
Old May 25, 2001, 08:43 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Hi guys, You can down load the plans here:
Wing Thing Plans http://www.geocities.com/azchuckrc/wingthig.html

The GWS motor has been used but I have not tried it myself. Maybe someone who has will jump in.
I'm going to be coming out with a new one shortly. I call it "SoSlo2", it is like the Wing Thing except it is 2" wider with an under camber wing. No covering on the bottom. It's real light and flies slow with good control. The sweet part is you can build it for a couple of bucks or less. It is set up for the DC1717 motor, I need to try it with the GWS. So many thing to build and try and so little time. How did I ever find time to work in the bad old days??
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old May 25, 2001, 06:56 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
AZ Chuck,
Very sharp webpage! The design parameters and CAD objects are very helpful.

-Lee
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Jun 04, 2001, 01:45 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Hello Clive,

I am currently building a Wing Thing and I plan to use the GWS Motor/prop/gearbox from my Lite Stik. I am interested in what your setup is and the type of problems you are experiencing.

Keith
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old Jun 04, 2001, 03:19 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
401 Posts
Keith,
I have to emphasise that I have no problems with the airframe of the WingThing, just my setup.
I ordered a GWS "Deluxe" motor/Gearbox combo from a UK dealer who has a great deal of experience with electric flight, particularly in the slow fly arena. When prompted for the ratio, I plumped for the 8.6:1 box. I also asked for the corresponding prop.
When the package arrived, I found that they had sent the eleven inch X 4.7 inch prop. It is HUGE!! Way too big for the cutout at the back of the WingThing, so I trimmed it a bit and rebalanced. Using a 250mAH 49g Nicad, two SuperTec 9g servos, a GWS 8g speed controller and GWS pico 6g Rx, the whole shooting match comes to about six to seven ounces.
Initial flights resulted in the model gently coming back to earth after a handlaunch, as if there was not enough thrust from my setup. I then "bent" a bit more pitch into the prop, which did give it enough poke to keep to level flight off a handlaunch. Unfortunately, a gust of wind (from nowhere) then put the Wingthing into the ground. That curtailed flying for the day. I have since repaired the model and am waiting for a wind free day to refly.
I do believe that my gearing is too slow, however, and that the standard PicoStik 5.6:1 ratio with a 9X4.3" GWS prop may be a better bet. If there are any other fliers out there with a successful GWS flighpack combo, please let me and Keith know!
Old Jun 04, 2001, 08:05 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Flying my Wing Thing. Chuck gave it to me at the Sun Valley fliers Elctric Fly-In a month ago. I'm using a GWS EDP-50XC motor with the enclosed prop and a 6 cell 250 ma pack. I'm using HS 55 servos and GWS receiver. Total flying weight is 4.5 oz. Flight times are
7+ min. The motor is from their new A-10 pusher plane. Robert at Electric Jet Factory got one from the president of GWS to try. I'll get a picture posted. It's a great flier. Thanks, Chuck!
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 04, 2001, 09:03 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
401 Posts
Wow!
If I read this correctly an Electric Ducted (P=Propellor?) Fan motor on a WingThing??!

Where will the madness end??! :-D

It looks like being a low - wind evening tonight, so will give my WingThing another bash - NOT literally!

Clive.
Old Jun 04, 2001, 01:29 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
bruff - I assume that 250mah pack is NiMH. If not, where did you find a 6-cell NiCad 250 pack that allowed a 4.5 oz flying weight.

My reciver and servos are identical to yours. I can get to about 5oz AUW with a 6-cell 150mah NiCad. Perhaps there is a difference in the power system weights as well.

My 6C 150 NiCad pack weighs 44g (1.55oz)
The motor/GB/prop weighs 36g (1.3oz)
Covered airframe with no electrics weighs 28g(1oz)

Chuck's original weighed 4.3oz with an 8-cell 50mah pack and mine would weigh about 4.4oz with the same, but I'd like to get up to a 250mah pack like you.

Keith
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old Jun 04, 2001, 02:24 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
The batteries are Nicad. AAA size and I'm straight drive no gear box. Using the new 5 AMP GWS ESC. Chuck built the plane. My scale (fishing type) only shows full oz. I may be 4.5 oz.
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jan 12, 2003, 05:44 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
401 Posts
Hey, This post is O-O-O-LD!
BUT! I 've got to show you this pic of my second Wing Thing.
First one was not too good power wise, so after leaving the project for some time I came up with the set up you see here and it flies!
It has a GWS motor, direct drive with a small 3X2 prop. Tissue/dope covering.
Flies really well, but have to experiment a bit more with control throws and the like to get it to aerobat
Best of all, it took little or no time to complete, and little or no money either!
Clive.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 08:23 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
I'm running my wingthing on a gws motor with 3x2 prop also. I put a bit of fill in where the edges of the 10" prop would have gone, maybe another 1" of wing area. Flies quite fast with great climb rate. Will post pictures later. Just be careful where you land it.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jan 14, 2003, 03:19 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
here's a picture of my wing thing, covered in solite. The leading edge was a bit fragile and broke from the servos inwards to the centre. all repaired now.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jan 14, 2003, 04:02 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
401 Posts
Nice looking model Robbie D!

I see you have placed your motor on the "floor" of the WT. I have raised mine up on a pylon, I figured that the small prop would have more "bite" if it was placed in such a way that the thick trailing edge of the WT didn't "blank" a large portion of it off.

In retrospect this high position of motor/prop may be contributing to a downward pushing of the model's nose, counteracted by lots of elevon reflex. In all this would then lead to more drag, and hence slower speeds - my WT could not be called a racer in any sense of the word.

I feel a modification coming on......

Clive.